MagicGPS (tm) option for 6d and other gps-enabled cameras

Started by Marsu42, February 24, 2014, 10:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

If anyone manages to figure out the gps props for the 6d, I'd like to include this in a module:

1. Adapt the satellite fix time according to the camera idle time, i.e. get new positions fast when the user is obviously doing something with the camera, but lengthen the intervals when the camera is doing nothing to reduce battery drain.

2. Auto-disable on shutdown, (re-)enable on startup to prevent battery drain when forgetting to switch gps off.

Any other ideas on what to do with gps are welcome.

a1ex

Show a blind map of where you have been that day (just plot a 2D graph with points). You can take the plot_dots routine from raw_diag.

Rationale: I got lost in a huge natural reservation with no lights at night (that was after recording a sunset timelapse), so it took me like 2 hours of blind backtracking to find the exit. With such a map, it should have been a piece of cake.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on February 24, 2014, 10:27:40 AM
3. Show a blind map of where you have been that day (just plot a 2D graph with points). You can take the plot_dots routine from raw_diag.

Oh my, good idea, but beyond my coding skills ... but here's my favorite feature request, I already submitted this a long time ago:

4. GPS GEOCACHING - either enter some coordinates and let ML guide you (direction, distance) or in "car finder mode" save the current location and let the camera guide you back. Given the fact that the 6d is a computer and has gps, it's unfortunate Canon didn't chose to implement these standard gps tracker functions in the stock fw.

a1ex

Yes, direction and distance would be a huge help and they should be easy to compute (you don't need any map data).

With the new backend for editing large numbers, typing GPS coordinates should be pretty easy.

Sure, being able to load a map of the current city would be very nice, but that's much more difficult to code and not exactly essential.

vyskocil

Anybody has a idea how external USB/Bluetooth GPS connected to a WFT grip should be acceded from ML code ?
I have a WFT-E5 7D grip with a tiny bluetooth dongle connected to it (not the Canon one which is very big and expansive !) and a BT GPS. When all is connected the pictures I take are geotagged and I can see the coordinate when reviewing them but it could be useful to read the location in realtime for the use cases you have mentioned.

a1ex

Nope, but I would start by capturing some debug logs (dm-spy) or trying the property spy.

Both are kinda buried in debug code.

Maqs

Quote from: vyskocil on February 24, 2014, 02:24:21 PM
Anybody has a idea how external USB/Bluetooth GPS connected to a WFT grip should be acceded from ML code ?
I have a WFT-E5 7D grip with a tiny bluetooth dongle connected to it (not the Canon one which is very big and expansive !) and a BT GPS. When all is connected the pictures I take are geotagged and I can see the coordinate when reviewing them but it could be useful to read the location in realtime for the use cases you have mentioned.

At least for the 6D with built-in GPS, there is the possibility to chose an external GPS, too. Therefore I think it uses the same API/props. Does the 7D with WFT-ES have a GPS menu?

Can anybody tell me if modules run on the master or slave DIGiC of the 7D? If they run on the slave (or the master has those property access stubs, too), I could compile my GPS module (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11209.0) for the 7D.203 and you could try if it's working.