Looking for Most Stable Install process for 5dmkiii

Started by thomaz, February 24, 2014, 06:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: thomaz on February 27, 2014, 02:42:23 AM
Returned my Lexar Pro 1000x 64GB card yesterday and got 2 KB Pro 1000x 64GB cards.

Out of the box ML tested the cards and says its writing from 72-84
I ran 1920x1080 24fps anyway and it seems to work. 9 out of 10 tries recorded without missed frames.
Still have the 4GB limit using .mlv   (searching to see if there any solutions to go over the 4gb limit - would be appreciated if anyone could point me in the right direction if this is possible) 

But, so far the Komputer Bay CF 1000x cards are working for me. Even though the benchmarks are under 85.

If you lower your resolution you will get less dropped frames.
There's also plenty of posts on the 4GB limit, and it's actually a simple computer thing.
The card is in FAT32. FAT32 file systems cannot hold files that are over 4GB.
The solution is to use your computer to format the card to EXFAT.
EXFAT is a little slower to write to and is not supported on all cameras.
It is supported on 5d3, but you may or may not experience more dropped frames.

thomaz

interesting.
yes I have spent hours on searching and reading regarding the 4GB limit - still haven't found anything helpful yet.

as for the formatting of the cards. The first thing I did was re-format each card in exfat.  Maybe that's why it's a little slower but doesn't explain my 4GB limit if you're saying that using exfat breaks that limit.

thanks..  I'll keep searching....
------ 5d3, Komputerbay 1000x 63GB Cards, Zeiss 28mm, 50mm, 100mm

Audionut

mlv_rec?  You need to enter the advanced menu in the mlv_rec module, an enable recording over 4Gb.

thomaz

thanks!
I just did that and realized it was off.     :-[

thanks!!!!
------ 5d3, Komputerbay 1000x 63GB Cards, Zeiss 28mm, 50mm, 100mm