Looking for Most Stable Install process for 5dmkiii

Started by thomaz, February 24, 2014, 06:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomaz

There is so much information on the forums that it's very overwhelming to find the more recent and stable process to install.

I would like to install the most stable version of ML on my 5d3 and am looking for someone to suggest the best step by step on how to install it and what version is the most stable for now ( I will only be shooting 1920x1080 Raw for now). I already downgraded my firmware to 1.1.3. I'm also on a Mac.

thanks in advance!!

cheers

-Thomas
------ 5d3, Komputerbay 1000x 63GB Cards, Zeiss 28mm, 50mm, 100mm

ItsMeLenny

3 steps in simplest form:

1) Enable boot flag in camera (using magiclantern .fir file and doing a firmware update, allows booting from a card).

2) Enable boot flag on SD/CF card (using make_bootable script of EOScard program, allows camera to see that it should boot from the card).

3) Copy MagicLantern files and folders to card (using normal copy paste methods, make sure to copy the autoexec.bin over)

[Never put a card in the camera that has the bootflag enabled and does not have autoexec.bin on the card. To disable the bootflag simply format the card in camera or in the computer.]

thomaz

thank you so much for the quick and helpful response!

I found and downloaded the MacBoot.class and macboot.command for Mac OSX to make my SD card bootable.

I have found several links to the 5Dmk3 .fir files but I really want to make sure I have the most current and correct one.
Can you give me a link to the official one so I can make sure I have it correct?

For the ML download I clicked on the  "Browse Nightly Builds" button from the ML download page
and then select "5D3.113" from the Platform pulldown.

I heard it's suggested to use an SD card without a CF card in the slot of the camera, is this true?

---

I'm a little unclear about the steps.
The part I'm unclear about is do I do all of these steps to the SD card one time and then boot the camera? Meaning does the boot flag need to be set for the first time by turning the camera on with an SD card in and only the ML  5D3 .fir file on the card.  Does this card need to be made bootable? or do I do that after the firmware update of the .fir file?    and all this needs to be done before placing the other ML files on the card?

or is it in multiple steps?

1st) I take my SD card and just copy the .fir to it and then run the boot script to make that SD card bootable. Then turn the 5d3 on with this SD card in it. Remove the SD card and put it back in my computer. Turn the camera off?

2nd) Copy the ML files (keeping the .fir on the SD card along with all the ML files and auto exec.bin file on the card) from my computer. Then insert the card again into the camera and turn it on....?   is this correct?

sorry, just trying to understand clearly how to set the boot flag correctly since I understand that currently this is not undoable.

thanks!

-t

kendrickwallace

I'm finding this all a bit overwhelming too, mostly because the various links to the Alpha versions for the mk iii contain different files. For example, the Alpha 3 link .zip file does not contain the autoexec.bin file, which seems to be a very big omission if it is required. I also found a tutorial with a link the v2.3 (presumably Alpha 2?) which does have the auto exec.bin file, but does NOT have the ml-5D3-113.fir file! My assumption is that BOTH of these files need to be present on the SD card, but what isn't clear is whether or not it is okay to use files from one Alpha version with those of another. There is nowhere that I can find that has everything required to put on an SD card for the install of the latest stable version. And because development seems to move quickly, I am concerned that the YouTube tutorials that are frequently pointed to are already out of date...

thomaz

It's my understanding that the Nightly Builds are the more stable safer ones, more in the lines of a public beta and the Alphas are well, alpha phase.

I believe I have everything I'm just not so sure about the exact specific steps and what to do first. It's just not very clear. People always leave out the specifics when listing the steps keeping the use of the .fir file and boot flag a little vague in the process.   Since there's all this talk about not being able to uninstall ML from a 5Dmk3 I really want to make sure I install ML correctly as I don't have time to make a mistake and lock up my camera.

ItsMeLenny

Ok, listen closely :P

for step 1):
This only needs to be done once. The magiclantern .fir file is not real firmware, all it will do is switch the flag on in the camera that allows to boot from an SD card.
You have to do this manually. Put the .fir on the card (after the card is formatted by the camera so that the camera can recognize the card obviously). Put the camera in manual mode, "M" on the dial. Then go into the Canon menu and look through the menus til you find "firmware update" in one of them. Make sure your battery is fully charged for this process.

for step 2):
Two ways!!
Way 1) You can do this easiest on the first set up if you want to. When you copy the .fir over, also copy autoexec.bin and the ML folders over. When you do the firmware update from step one it (usually) also enables the bootflag on the SD card. That means once the firmware update is done, you can turn the camera off and on and have MagicLantern start up straight away. However if this doesn't work you need to do way 2.
Way 2) This is also the way you need to do it for other cards that don't have the bootflag enabled on them. You have to do this for every new card that you put ML onto. You also have to do it for every old card if you decide to format the card completely (however if you use the format in camera when MagicLantern is installed, you have the option of keeping ML on the card so you don't have to go through this process every time). This is simply making the card bootable using whatever program to set the flag, there's different ways for linux, windows, and mac, it seems like you have one already. Run the program on the card.

for step 3):
After you run make the card bootable you then have to put ML on it. [Never put a card that has a bootflag turned on in the camera without autoexec.bin on the card]
Simply get the nightly. Unzip. Copy contents onto card.

Why would you want the nightly over the stable?

• The stable build is pretty outdated.
  • All the cool new features are in the nightly.
  • Raw video recording is in the nightly.
  • The nightlies arn't really unstable.

If your camera ever freezes or blacks out:
Remove the battery asap.

NOW
All this has already been explained in the forums and help pages.
AND
If you don't know what to do now you probably shouldn't be using ML.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: thomaz on February 25, 2014, 12:16:58 AM
People always leave out the specifics when listing the steps keeping the use of the .fir file and boot flag a little vague in the process.

I hired a monkey from the local zoo to do mine. Funny thing the monkey was dead and he still managed to complete the process.

thomaz

I too found a dead monkey but nevertheless I thank you for the valuable time you put into this wonderfully detailed response. It confirmed the dead monkeys process and reassured my doubts. Thanks again!

cheers

-t

kendrickwallace

I have successfully loaded the latest ML build to my Canon 5d Mk III and I'm going to report my findings in as clear and complete a way as possible. It took a lot of trial and error, but I have a fully working camera with the latest build. This procedure is the result of many hours of digging though forums and websites, so I hope it helps others get through the process quickly.

DISCLAIMER: I am new to this, and am just reporting what worked for me. If you have problems or brick your expensive camera, you do so at your own risk!!!

1) Make sure your latest Canon 5d mk iii firmware is v1.1.3.
If not, you can get the firmware file here.

http://pel.hu/eoscard/

Use standard Canon Firmware Upgrade procedures to install it if you need to. Directions are here:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/firmware/updating_firmware.do

and there is an instruction file included as part of the firmware updates downloadable from Canon's website:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/professional_cameras/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#DriversAndSoftware

(note: do NOT update your firmware to any version other than v1.1.3, the file linked to above is just to get you the instructions!)

2) Set the camera boot flag.

Download the file "5D3-113-bootflag.fir" located here:

http://www.cinema5d.com/seb/bootflag.zip

Put this on the root directory of an SD card (meaning the same place as the DCIM and MISC folders that will be on the card after formatting it in your camera). Insert the SD card into your Camera (make sure there is not a CF card in the camera as well) and follow the firmware update procedures. This will reset your camera's boot flag AND CANNOT BE UNDONE, so do this at your own risk (as everything!).

Turn off your camera, remove the SD card, and delete the "5D3-113-bootflag.fir" file from the SD card.

3) Get the files from the latest ML version for the 5D Mk III, located here:

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/5D3.113/187/artifact/platform/5D3.113/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb03.5D3113.zip

The unzipped folder should contain the ML folder (and its contents) and the autoexec.bin file. Copy these files to the root directory of the SD card (the contents of the ML folder should stay in the ML folder!). Your card will look like this:

<DCIM>
<MISC>
<ML>
autoexec.bin

4) Make the SD card bootable (PC Required)

I was NOT able to do this on a Mac using MacBoot. I could never get it to run and suspect it is very outdated. If you are running a Mac with Mavericks you will have to borrow a PC and use the EOScard.exe program. The program and process is located here:

http://pel.hu/eoscard/

Note that during this procedure, when I hit "refresh" as the on-line video tutorial recommends, the EOScard program downloaded the "latest" ML files to my SD card. I had to start over (because I didn't trust it to get the right files). I ran the program again, this time WITHOUT hitting the Refresh Button in the software. Just make sure the top two options are checked off and you get a "Write Successful" message (the tutorial on their website makes this clear).

5) Run ML

Turn off your camera. Insert the bootable SD card you've just made in step 4, AND a 1000x CF Card (if you plan to record RAW HD video). I use this:

http://amzn.com/B009JCL55Y

(note, using this card I am getting write speeds averaging about 100 MB/sec)

Turn on the camera. During this process my camera screen indicated it was running a check of the card and quickly went from 0-100%. At that point the camera should be on, and pressing the "Trash" button (lower left trashcan icon button) should now bring up the Magic Lantern welcome screen. Push it again for the full ML menu.

6. Activate RAW modules

This technically doesn't have anything to do with installing ML, but if you want to shoot RAW video you need to go to the Modules menu (icon that looks like four squares), and turn on raw_rec.mo. Look through the modules while you are there--there are some GREAT functions waiting for you to explore (such as dual ISO).

Anyway, that was my experience. It took some trial and error, and at least a couple of times I was freaked out. I hope it helps--let me know if this works for you, or if you uncover anything I missed!

Ken

thomaz

Hi Ken,

thanks for your post...

I was able to get ML installed as well.
Now I'm running into a dropped frames problem.
I'm using a Lexar Pro 1000x 64GB card and have tried both mod  raw rec  v1.0 and v2.0 with any resolution and it just drops the very first frame and locks up.

Curious if you were able to record raw 1920x1080 24fps  successfully or any raw recording successfully and if so what are your main ML settings? I'm thinking I may have a bad card.

cheers

-t

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: thomaz on February 25, 2014, 05:26:22 AM
Now I'm running into a dropped frames problem.

Benchmark your card in camera. ML has this feature in one of it's menus. Benchmark, card benchmark.
You need +100MB/s for fullHD raw recording.
"Pro 1000x" means absolutely nothing, essentially hype words.
It's like if I call my camera turbo because I painted it red.

kendrickwallace

I just got ML up and running tonight, so planning to test RAW recording tomorrow and will let you know. It does sound like a card write speed issue--see what the speeds are when you run the benchmark 5 min read write test (if I recall correctly it is in the ML Debug menu).

I don't recommend painting your camera--I don't think that will make a difference.

thomaz

Well on the Lexar page they claim it supports 95MB/s write speeds
What card do you suggest?

ran the Card R/W benchmark test and it's strange.  it ran only 2 read / write tests and then shut off (It says it will take 5 mins but it only took less than 1 min - seems like the powersave is still on - camera seems to shut off around the same time during tests) 
this test the max write at 2048k was 81MB/s

had to power off and on the camera and run it again, Strange readings this time - I got crazy all over numbers

buffer  2048k     42/MBs
buffer  2048k    487/MBs
buffer  2048k    770/MBs
buffer  2048k   1000.9/MBs

maybe it's the card...?   :-(
should I possibly re-install ML again?

Any settings I should know about? 
do you use the raw_rec
or the mlv_rec.mo   ?

thanks again!

-t

thomaz

Interesting thing

Note:  I only have the mlv_rec mod turned on and no other mod.
I just went into the Canon menu and turned off the Auto Power setting (which was set to 1 min)
and then I was able to record Raw without any skipped frames in 1728x972 (which I wasn't able to do before)

When I tried 1920x1080 24fps 
First time I got and error once I stop recording
the light stayed on for some time and then it displayed  error writing footer.

Second time I got a "Framed Skipped stopping..."  about 10-15 seconds into the recording and then it stopped.  (Which I'm thinking could be my card.)

Sometimes I get the "Failed to setup  Card/RAM Full?"

it just all seems so intermittent making it difficult to figure out if it's my card or not. 
Guess I should go out and get another card tomorrow.  Any suggestions?

cheers

-t

ItsMeLenny

When you select what resolution you want to use it tells you how fast your card needs to be.
As far as I'm aware FullHD (for continuous recording) needs ~120MB/s which is achieved by having a very fast CF card and a very fast SD card work in conjunction with each other.
But read down the bottom of the screen what write speed the resolution needs.

You could have a much slower card and get 2 seconds of fullHD. But for continuous ^^^.

thomaz

thanks

yes this is what I'm assuming..  but I have yet to be able to clearly determine the write speed of my card as the benchmark test was all over the place - probably should get another card for sure. Since I only have one it makes it hard to test right now to point to the card.

can you suggest a card that will support 1920x1080 24fps continuous?

thanks!!!!

thomaz

strange thing now, even if I select a resolution of 1728x972 (which seemed to work fine earlier)
I'm getting this message now for any resolution:

"Failed to setup  Card/RAM Full?"

what does this mean?   I've been searching the board and nothing yet...

kendrickwallace

Make sure that in your regular Canon menu you have selected the CF Card as the write destination. In the tool menu check the "Record func+card/folder sel." item. For some reason when I changed the ML resolution to 1920x1080, it defaulted to the SD card and I initially got a write failure. When I changed the Canon menu to select the CF card as the write destination I was able to record RAW 1920x1080 with no dropped frames using a 64GB 1000x card that benchmarked at an average of 100 MB/s.

Also, (and this has been posted elsewhere) there is a nice Mac utility called RAW Magic for converting the ML RAW video file to a series of .dng images:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tfur7aif2iic524/RAWMagic.dmg

thomaz

thanks..
yes I've done that and I confirm before shooting that the card is selected by the size at the top right.
I really believe one of the problems is my card (Lexar Pro 1000x 64GB). In benchmark tests I get really strange results and never have they been a solid 100MB/s     I'm returning my card today and getting another one.

Which brand are you using?

John

Just wanted to thank all the posters in this thread for making it clear how to install ML on a 5D3 with a Mac. Yeah the site gets confusing with all the posts and info spread out. I almost think this thread needs to be locked and pinned and re-titled "How to install ML on a 5D3 with a Mac".

ItsMeLenny

The install process is the same across all cameras. Then all you have to do is use the search up the top to find the .fir firmware to set the boot flag.

It's quite simple, but for anybody who's struggling they must meet my dead monkey.

thomaz

Hi Lenny,
thanks again for all your knowledgable responses!!

I was wondering what people are using most?
raw video module 1.0  or 2.0 (mlv)  ?

and if it's 2.0 what do you suggest to use to convert the mlv files?  (on a Mac)

thanks!!!

John

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on February 26, 2014, 02:37:38 AM
The install process is the same across all cameras. Then all you have to do is use the search up the top to find the .fir firmware to set the boot flag.

It's quite simple, but for anybody who's struggling they must meet my dead monkey.

The only good monkey is a dead monkey! After he installs Magic Lantern!

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: thomaz on February 26, 2014, 11:01:46 PM
Hi Lenny,
thanks again for all your knowledgable responses!!

I was wondering what people are using most?
raw video module 1.0  or 2.0 (mlv)  ?

and if it's 2.0 what do you suggest to use to convert the mlv files?  (on a Mac)

thanks!!!

Which ever works best for you. You might find that raw_rec gets more frames than raw_mlv, but I think most people use raw_mlv on 5dmk3, no idea cos I have a 550D.
Also, if you simply go into the raw video thread theres are lots of threads that tell you how to convert mlv on mac.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=54.0
There's also many different new programs that users have created to do it. For instance: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.0

This is just a case of simply exploring the forums, using the search, although reading the topic headings give a pretty self explanatory indication of what they are about.
If people go through and have to link every time to every new comer the exact same thing...
The forum has been made pretty easy to navigate, it's even easier than setting up ML...

thomaz

Returned my Lexar Pro 1000x 64GB card yesterday and got 2 KB Pro 1000x 64GB cards.

Out of the box ML tested the cards and says its writing from 72-84
I ran 1920x1080 24fps anyway and it seems to work. 9 out of 10 tries recorded without missed frames.
Still have the 4GB limit using .mlv   (searching to see if there any solutions to go over the 4gb limit - would be appreciated if anyone could point me in the right direction if this is possible) 

But, so far the Komputer Bay CF 1000x cards are working for me. Even though the benchmarks are under 85.