HDR functionality How does it work?

Started by winam, February 23, 2014, 10:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winam

Hey folks,
got two questions about the AEB-Function of Magic Lantern. I use a 650d and was wondering, when do I know that all neccessary exposures have been taken? A message saying "AEB compleded" would be great.

And Is it possible, that Magic Lantern sticks all the RAW files together into one HDR-File? I could load it directly in photomatix and work with them, without creating the hdr file!

Thanks

René!
Canon EOS 650D ML, Canon EOS 1000D

http://www.rene-photography.de/

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: winam on February 23, 2014, 10:39:53 PMI use a 650d and was wondering, when do I know that all neccessary exposures have been taken? A message saying "AEB compleded" would be great.
It stops taking photos once it's done. Turn it on and take some pictures and find out.

Quote from: winam on February 23, 2014, 10:39:53 PM
And Is it possible, that Magic Lantern sticks all the RAW files together into one HDR-File? I could load it directly in photomatix and work with them, without creating the hdr file!
No it doesn't. You have to use some sort of HDR creator. http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/

engardeknave

I use a 650d and was wondering, when do I know that all neccessary exposures have been taken? A message saying "AEB compleded" would be great.

This is a legit issue, especially when you are taking 35 brackets and don't have time to waste staring at the camera wondering if it's done yet. One workaround I've discovered is to turn on the creation of post-processing scripts. All it does is create a text file, but it also puts a message on the screen alerting you when the file is written after the bracket is complete.

ItsMeLenny

I've never known anybody to take a 35 bracket.

engardeknave

ItsMeLenny

Still... I've never known anyone to take that many shots for an HDR.

Africashot

35 brackets seems to be beyond reasonable to me as well; unless it would be like in 0.1 stops increments I'd say, and I'd see no reason for that...
But once we are touching the subject it would be neat to have a quick way to stop the camera from shooting brackets, on the stable release it used to be the play button but since I am using a.d.'s nightly builds this no longer works and turns out to be very stubborn, even if you power the camera off and back on it will still continue bracketing. I don't know if this happens to others but I am often shooting brackets and later forget I had AEB on and find myself shooting something else when the camera starts bracketing and there is no way to stop it, this can range from annoying to embarrassing depending on the situation...
ML 5D2 & T3i

a1ex

To stop bracketing, just turn the mode dial to something else. This is the most robust method, since it will work even if Canon code locks the GUI during exposure.

I'll take a look at some other methods for stopping it, but it's not exactly high priority.

engardeknave

No, not a 35-frame bracket, 35 bracketssssssssss.

35 total brackets during shoot. 35 groups of frames. 35 HDR photographs.

engardeknave

QuoteTo stop bracketing, just turn the mode dial to something else.

I have tried this a few times and it has never worked. Possibly because I was in blub mode shooting a long frame.

a1ex

Yeah, a half-shutter press will stop a bulb exposure at any time.

Stopping a 30-second regular exposure is tricky (some cameras will cancel it when you turn mode dial, others refuse to cancel it even if you turn off the camera).

winam

Quote from: engardeknave on February 24, 2014, 03:54:03 AM
This is a legit issue, especially when you are taking 35 brackets and don't have time to waste staring at the camera wondering if it's done yet. One workaround I've discovered is to turn on the creation of post-processing scripts. All it does is create a text file, but it also puts a message on the screen alerting you when the file is written after the bracket is complete.

I wanna see one of those HDRs, please! I will take a closer look about those scrips.

thank you all for all the suggestions and explanations.

thank you!
Canon EOS 650D ML, Canon EOS 1000D

http://www.rene-photography.de/