5dMK3 killed the CF card - don´t do this like I did

Started by SteveScout, February 23, 2014, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveScout

Hi!

Just recorded 12mins of clips on a 64GB Komputerbay card and when it got full, the recording stopped - as always not properly - so the camera had to be turned off (built from 23. feb 2013).
After turning on I did not wait for the cards to be warmed up, but pressed PLAY instantly. This resulted in a destroyed card, can´t be read by the camera or a computer anymore, every device wants to format it.
So either it was just bad luck or interrupting the warming up process. Can´t say for sure - but definitely give the camera these five seconds do do the task without interrupting.

Card won´t format on a computer or in camera anymore, seems to be somehow damaged now. Will try some sort of low level format, so no chance for data recovery.

cheers,
Steffen

Markus

Try recovery software that can detect and repair errors on cf-cards. A friend of mine had a similar problem and after trying out a bunch of recovery programs he suddenly was able to access the data. After trying so many different program He wasn't sure which one did the trick but search for the ones who can repair and not just recover data. He had no luck on getting useful data out of the ones that could recover chunks of data.

g3gg0

that there is damage caused to the card by ML or the canon software is highly unlikely.
the camera does nothing else than your card reader when you store data on the card.

if it broke during that, then its your card which was faulty.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

SteveScout

I´m not blaming ML .. just saying that this is something weird and it MIGHT´ve been the forced operation of a button on startup. Sure, might´ve been the Komputerbay card which wasn´t in a good shape, even with being new. It´s just .. I´m using CF cards for .. don´t know .. 10 years now and never had an issue where the card could not be formatted anymore after it came out of the camera. All recovery programs you normally find with a search engine won´t read the card at all, will try to "reset" it somehow with more brutal format methods. Hope they exist. ;)