[WONTFIX] High ISO Noise Reduction - different settings for different ISOs

Started by moromete20ro, June 20, 2012, 07:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moromete20ro

First of all, my sincere congrats to the entire team behind Magic Lantern for your great free work!

I bought a Canon 550D (instead of Nikon or Pentax) only because of FPS Override of Magic Lantern to use this function in astrophotography when filming the planets.

My request is the following: is it possible to let the user make a certain setting on High ISO Noise Reduction for a certain ISO level, like on Pentax? (e.g. NR Off for ISO 100-200, NR Low for ISO 400-800, NR Standard for ISO 1600, NR Strong for ISO 3200-12800; or any other combination desired by the user)

To have a setting like this permanent, it would be great for me when shooting JPEGs.

a1ex

Technically possible, but I don't see any point in doing this. I'd rather have dark frame subtraction without noise reduction, on RAW images.

scrax

Reading about dark frame subtraction and other techniques I've found this to remove bias noise:

Quote"...However, most digital cameras do not allow a zero-duration exposure without the use of special software ..."
this was the nice part (special software, zero exposure duration? umm.. ML?... )
but then there is a second part...
Quote"...- such as testing software used by camera service departments, or expensive software written specifically for science and engineering applications, which might require that physical modifications be made to the camera to operate properly..."

from there
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

a1ex

Canon already does dark frame subtraction, BUT only combined with aggressive noise reduction.

Didn't check what happens with RAW.

moromete20ro

Alex, this feature would be very usefull when shooting JPEG, like I often do, especially when shooting family photos. Not everyone is shooting RAW all day long.
That's way Pentax has this feature on their dslrs, I suppose.
If you can implement this feature I would be very happy because this way I can have maximum detail at low ISOs and less noise with acceptable detail at high ISOs with minimum of fuss. Practically I don't have to adjust the NR a few times daily.

In short the reason for this feature resides especially in confort when shooting JPEG.

As a side note, speaking about confort in dslr operation, it would be really nice be able to Enfuse in camera all HDR pictures and save them as JPEG in camera.

Thank you and your team for your great work! Keep adding new features to ML!

moromete20ro

I forgot to mention that I use dark frame subtraction with RAW in astrophotography (during night time) but during day time I shoot JPEG mostly and I don't use dark frame subraction (with sub 1 second exposures) but I use variable NR for different ISOs.

As a side note, you and your team did a great job with focus peaking and especially follow focus which makes astrophotography easier with a telescope or with a camera lens. In astrophotography manual focusing is mandatory and crucial.

So, thank you again for these features!

moromete20ro

So, is there any chance to implement this feature in Magic Lantern software in the near future?