5D Mark iii firmware downgrade problem (SOLVED)

Started by kendrickwallace, February 22, 2014, 04:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kendrickwallace

I've formatted a fresh CF card and put the 1.13 firmware file on the root directory. Fresh battery in the camera and go to Firmware in the menu (v. 1.21). I select the option to Upgrade>OK. From that point on the red light on the bottom of the camera (lower right back) just flashes and the camera is essentially dead. No further menu option to confirm the upgrade to 1.13. I have to turn off the camera, remove the battery completely and restart the camera, which starts up fine again in v1.21. Scared the heck out of me because I thought maybe I would brick my camera by turning it off in the middle of it doing something, but it never gets far enough to actually update the firmware. I have tried with a couple of versions of the 1.13 .fir file (5D3-113-bootflag.fir and ml-5D3-113.fir) both found via these forums and popular on-line ML tutorials, and two different CF cards. Anyone else have a problem downgrading? Ideas?

Audionut

Downgrade to Canon firmware 1.1.3 first, before, doing anything related to Magic Lantern.

Also note, you should only ever use the special firmware updater found here:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.0

QuoteYou will be able to try the entire ML feature set, but the risks of permanent damage are a lot higher than with the public alphas. Use it at your own risk.

kendrickwallace

That is the crux of my problem. I cannot seem to downgrade to 1.1.3. My 5D Mk 3 will not recognize the 1.1.3 firmware. I've not even gotten to the point of being able to do anything related to Magic Lantern, I'm just trying to downgrade the Canon firmware from 1.2.1.

Walter Schulz

Have you tried to use EOSutility?
The proper firmware file is found here.

kendrickwallace

Problem solved. The 1.1.3 firmware files I had found via the the links on YouTube tutorials were NG. The file from here:

http://pel.hu/eoscard/

5D300113.FIR

worked perfectly.

Now on to installing the ML software  :)

Audionut

Quote from: kendrickwallace on February 22, 2014, 03:51:24 PM
That is the crux of my problem.

Indeed.  You were trying to downgrade with a ML firmware file, and not a Canon firmware file  ;)