Hard Drives for transferring in the field...

Started by AnotherDave, June 20, 2013, 01:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgv5

Copying 64GB from my KB64 1000 to nexto 2730 with firmware 2.0 is taking10-12 min, almost the same speed with Sandisk udma7. Do a benchmark test and check wheather your card gets its normal speed. Firmware doesnt  change copying speed, it just added exFAT support.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

KurtAugust

As for battery life with the nexto: the battery packs I've made for my Zoom H4N audio recorder also works with the nexto. Four c-batteries in series.
I'm testing it now before taking it on a short tour next week.

If only I could find the option to auto-delete the footage on the card after transferring. Rebooting the thing is a stupid extra step.
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

core_32

@kgv5, @KurtAugust
Hi there,
do you guys experience slow transfer rates when using nexto 2730 without external charger/battery?

When I have charger plugged in, I can copy full Transcend 64GB card to nexto 2730 in ~13 min. But if I start to copy without external charger then it copies well only about 14Gb (with ~80Mb/s) and then slows down completely, to about 1Mb/s  :o
Also if I plug the charger while transferring, the speed increases to ~10Mb/s  (but not ~80Mb/s)

So there is simply no way for me to transfer a 64GB card normally without a charger :(

May be it's because of my 1Tb WD drive, may be internal battery can't handle this HDD without additional power source, I don't know :-\

kgv5

Quote from: core_32 on December 01, 2013, 10:35:10 PM
@kgv5, @KurtAugust
Hi there,
do you guys experience slow transfer rates when using nexto 2730 without external charger/battery?

When I have charger plugged in, I can copy full Transcend 64GB card to nexto 2730 in ~13 min. But if I start to copy without external charger then it copies well only about 14Gb (with ~80Mb/s) and then slows down completely, to about 1Mb/s  :o
Also if I plug the charger while transferring, the speed increases to ~10Mb/s  (but not ~80Mb/s)

So there is simply no way for me to transfer a 64GB card normally without a charger :(

May be it's because of my 1Tb WD drive, may be internal battery can't handle this HDD without additional power source, I don't know :-\

Thats weird, i didnt notice any copy speed change with/without charger. In fact i have never copied any card to nexto with charger plugged in, i always do it only with internal battery. 64GB (kbay 1000x) -> ~12-13 minutes
I have stock 500 GB HDD inside.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

KurtAugust

I just came back from a shoot in Tokyo. Only problems I ever had were failed transfers, prop ably because of shocks while walking with the camera in a bag in a bad position. Loved this little thing. Running around all day with just the camera, this, lenses and batteries.

Using the 1tb version with either internal battery or external self made battery pack.

Only gripe was that it lost connection sometimes while copying to my laptop over FireWire 800. Not a clue why. Perhaps it overheated or something.

Ps. My 5d3 setup was like this, but without the follow focus: http://twitter.com/HetRovendOog/status/403547284321091584/photo/1

KurtAugust

Update: seems the laptop was the problem. Just to be correct.

SiSS

Let's bring this up from almost year ago.
What DIT transfer tools people are using today?