Organic Diffusion - Looks great on RAW

Started by llirik, February 20, 2014, 01:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llirik

Hey everyone,

I had read an article from Shane Hurlbut a while ago, but wasn't sure how it would work with EF lenses. So finally decided to test it out, both on the 5D3 raw, and with my fs700 for comparison.

If anybody has wondered how it would look and work (i did), you can check out the comparison image below. More info on my blog as well.

http://www.llirik.com/2014/02/organic-diffusion-on-5d3-fs700/

Andy600

Thanks for this test. I read SH's blog post but never got around to trying it myself. Your results look surprisingly nice. I can see this being very useful for 4K and bad for relationships :D

Did you stretch the fabric across the whole rear of the lens and just use the mount to hold it in place?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

llirik

Quote from: Andy600 on February 20, 2014, 03:38:19 PM
Thanks for this test. I read SH's blog post but never got around to trying it myself. Your results look surprisingly nice. I can see this being very useful for 4K and bad for relationships :D

Did you stretch the fabric across the whole rear of the lens and just use the mount to hold it in place?

Yup, stretched it over and then did my best to keep it stretched with one hand, and then let the locking into the mount keep it in place. Worked well, but you'd need to make sure you have enough fabric cut off so that you can stretch and hold it.

llirik

Hey everyone,

I've completed a short film using this method and submitted to the Sony PROduction awards. You can check out the film here (and vote if you're so inclined :)

https://productionawards.sony.eu/videos/creative/aosdfh9asyf09asfyas9f8has9fhas9sda#.Ux8HYXnZXfM

(note, that's the 720p version. if anyone would like to see the 1080p one, I can provide you with a link).