CloseUps : Shorline (60D RAW)

Started by OObner, February 20, 2014, 06:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OObner

One the nicest thing in shooting RAW with Magic Lantern is the 3X zoom function.

Basically, it means your lens gets a 3X extender - with the same speed and the same DOF.

In this video, I used a single 24-70/2.8 sigma lens - which act like a 24-200/2.8! No 70-200 needed!

Magic!

Conformed and graded with davinci resolve + film convert, Edited on FCP X.

bennyray1

Looks amazing OObner,unfortunately I do not have as much success using the crop feature on my 60d. When I record with the crop it is very noisy. How do you get your images so clear?Looks great sir. Any advise would be much appreciated.

OObner

Thanks bennyray1!

Could you upload an image with noise?

In x3 zoom mode, the image become more sensitive - for better or worse: if the "regular" image is noisy, the zoomed image will be have even more noise. if the regular is clean, the zoomed one will be even clearer.

Now, what cam make noise an image? Barring technical problem (Bad sensor or lens) noise almost always, comes for either poor lighting and/or high iso - and usually a combination of both. The 60D does not have a great low light performance to begin with, in regular h264 video: iso 1600 is acceptable, 3200 is borderline. In RAW, this is even more so.
So, how do you lower you noise?
1. use better lighting;
2. use a wider aperture;
3. lower you ISO;
4. Use some noise canceling in post, such as neat video.
5. Hide the noise with some filter - A film grain filter like Film Convert (which I almost always use) is a great option.
6. A combination of the above;

Also, use the ETTR function in ML: if, after you start ETTR (by pressing SET button usually) you get ISO higher than 1600, you better step backward and change something.

The above clip was shot in broad daylight, at iso 100, with an aperture of about f/8 (and using a fader ND to keep the aperture at 8, which is the optimum for my lens). so, no problem of noise here. I did use film convert - but only for the look, not for the noise.

here is an example of video with lots of noise:

As i mention in the description, I didn't use film convert or the like to cancel noise - which you can clearly see on many shots. Try to guess when the zoom function was used - I think the answer is quiet easy.

bennyray1

Quote from: OObner on February 21, 2014, 09:12:19 AM
Thanks bennyray1!

Could you upload an image with noise?

In x3 zoom mode, the image become more sensitive - for better or worse: if the "regular" image is noisy, the zoomed image will be have even more noise. if the regular is clean, the zoomed one will be even clearer.

Now, what cam make noise an image? Barring technical problem (Bad sensor or lens) noise almost always, comes for either poor lighting and/or high iso - and usually a combination of both. The 60D does not have a great low light performance to begin with, in regular h264 video: iso 1600 is acceptable, 3200 is borderline. In RAW, this is even more so.
So, how do you lower you noise?
1. use better lighting;
2. use a wider aperture;
3. lower you ISO;
4. Use some noise canceling in post, such as neat video.
5. Hide the noise with some filter - A film grain filter like Film Convert (which I almost always use) is a great option.
6. A combination of the above;

Also, use the ETTR function in ML: if, after you start ETTR (by pressing SET button usually) you get ISO higher than 1600, you better step backward and change something.

The above clip was shot in broad daylight, at iso 100, with an aperture of about f/8 (and using a fader ND to keep the aperture at 8, which is the optimum for my lens). so, no problem of noise here. I did use film convert - but only for the look, not for the noise.

Thank you so much for your more than generous advice sir.In my haste to film my subject matter many of your tips were completely overlooked sir. I will consider your advice as a check off list from now on.That was very kind of you sir to give me and others this detailed advice.Please keep sharing your video creations to help encourage and inspire us 60d users to utilize RAW capture to its finest.Thank you again sir.I was filming with my Canon 35mm L at 1.4 and I should have stepped it up to optimal 8 to help with the sharpness which also came across as a noisy capture.

vovaja

greetings to all. Here is a video did​​. winter in Russia. Originally written in the raw video format 1600 * 640 2.50.1.
canon 60D, hellios-44-2,canon 28-135mm