6D 1080P RAW in crop mode?

Started by BSPV, February 20, 2014, 06:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BSPV

I've seen that people getting 2.5K RAW recording in crop mode with a limited recording time. Since 1080P is a lower resolution I'm wondering how long people have managed to record 1080P in cropped mode on the 6D. Continuous recording in cropped mode would be excellent as they haven't been able to do it using the whole full frame sensor yet.  :(

I'll be getting a 6D in the next month so I'm just researching.  :) Can't wait to see RAW added in as a "Stable" feature of ML.

painya

I got 86 frames at 1808 by 1018. That's the max rez in non crop mode. I got 74 at 2048x948 which is RAW max crop mode.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

kgv5

Extension of recording time is only possible with using some wide screes aspect ratios like 2,35:1, 2,39:1 or 2,66:1. Then you record lower number of pixels while still maintaining great image quality. 1920 or more is too much for 6d and due to short recording time unusable. Some time ago i made some tests (raw_rec, no mlv back then) with upscaling and get preety nice results (and some usable recording times). Check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY-7UspVUb8

www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

gcrook

Can anyone please confirm the max 16:9 resolutions  in both crop and live view mode?Dont really care if continuous or not.Thanks.

BSPV

Thanks for the feedback guys. Is there a 1080P crop mode? Or is 2048x948 the closest option? I've seen some people record 2.5k in crop mode, obviously not for very long, but it can be done. I'm just wondering how long of a clip you can get in 1080P crop mode?

painya

Look at my first post. And people who achieve such high recording times with such high resolutions are not using an SD card based camera like the 6d.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

gcrook

Live view mode isn't that bad as far as resolution.It's a tad bigger than my 550d's live view 16:9 mode and it's very close to 1080p.
So crop mode max 16:9 resolution should be something like 1680X948 if my calculations are correct?

BSPV