Magic Lantern super 8 film Scanner test =D

Started by Markus, February 26, 2014, 08:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markus

Ever since ML raw came out I'we been curious my mk III with ML coupled to a super 8 projector would perform as a filmscanner. Projector projecting the picture directly onto the camera sensor! Modded projector lens and brightness brought down with lower wattage lamp with a ND and full CTB filter in front of it. Also made a homemade iris on the modded lens to bring down the brightness further and to increase depth of field to get focus across the whole frame.
Check out first results here:

Frank7D

If you're filming a projection on a screen, won't you have difficulty syncing the camera's frame rate with the projector's?
I wonder if you could do some kind of macro setup with a slow frame rate and crank the film through a frame at a time?

Markus

In this setup the projector is projecting the picture directly at the sensor. For flicker free picture shutter fine tuning is required. I had trouble syncing the shutter at 24fps so i turned down the speed on the projector to 18fps and got these results.

mixmastermike

aace

That was so beautiful. Although there wasn't much happening, there was something very Disneyesque about it. The music, the cutaways, the pacing. Very good!

ItsMeLenny

I've been really badly wanting to do something similar.
I've lost the original video I found of a rig a guy made.
It steps through the film and takes a picture controlled by arduino.

Markus

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on February 27, 2014, 04:36:21 AM
I've been really badly wanting to do something similar.
I've lost the original video I found of a rig a guy made.
It steps through the film and takes a picture controlled by arduino.

Search youtube, a lot of videos posted of setups like that. search: Telecine. However the nice thing about recording direct to camera is that Its almost realtime at 18fps =).

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Markus on February 27, 2014, 01:37:14 PM
Search youtube, a lot of videos posted of setups like that. search: Telecine. However the nice thing about recording direct to camera is that Its almost realtime at 18fps =).
Yeah I had searched youtube multiple times traveling through about 20 pages, it was a one off video, it wasn't simply film a projector like most of them.

I like this idea of projecting onto the sensor, although ultimately that's what all lenses to.

feureau

That is so neat. If you can make a mount for macro lens and 35mm film, there's a huge analog film market that would LOVE to have a dslr film scanner. It is vastly superior to the flatbed/filmscanner they use.

http://petapixel.com/2012/12/23/why-you-should-digitize-your-film-using-a-camera-instead-of-a-scanner/