5D3 ML RAW - Extreme Low Light Test

Started by ChadMuffin, February 19, 2014, 10:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChadMuffin

I really wanted to push the limits of this camera and got some pretty awesome results.

For the nerds:
Camera: 5D3 Magic Lantern (latest build at time of video)
Lenses - 15mm f2.8 fisheye | 24-70mm f2.8 | 70-200mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.4 | 2x Teleconverter
Stuff: Glidecam HD-2000 | Monopod | Handheld | HDR-300 Ring Light | KomputerBay 64 GB 1000x (x2)
Workflow: .MLV > MLV Converter (lossy) > After Effects (Adobe Camera Raw) > H.264 (16 Mbps)

If my cards got full, I swapped them out on a USB 3.0 Ext HDD on my Windows Surface and got back in the game. At the end of the night, I sorted through the crap in MLV converter and let it export over night, when I got back in the morning, it was time to edit. Love the look, love the flexibility, love the doors it opens to creativity, but it is really difficult to work with in AE, It runs silky smooth in DaVinci Resolve but I love working with ACR... This process is not for the time sensitive. Many amazing leaps have been made with ML, but the post needs to be improved and sped up before it truly becomes practical. Downloading the footage  will look better.

I was able to handle 3200 ISO with great footage. Depending on what you are shooting, you may even get it to 12800 ISO with a good denoiser (I used ACR Noise Reduction). Tonal range was noticeably decreasing when reaching 6400 ISO. I did not use Dual ISO. I did not use ML Sound, I knew I wasn't going to be using sound in the final video (no, this is not the final video).