January in Japan

Started by scottgold, February 19, 2014, 07:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottgold

Had to stop by and say how much I loved shooting with ML.  I wish ML was around when this whole DSLR thing got started...would have made my shoots 1000% easier.
Thanks for all the hard work you guys have put into this software, it was a pleasure making this.

January in Japan...I hope you guys enjoy.

vyskocil

Very nice, loved it ! I think it capture and depicts very well the feelings and what I saw when I was visiting Tokyo and Kyoto last year.
Also great images, editing and music.

scottgold

Thanks vyskocil, super nice of you!

jrcreative

can  you please let us know what camera and lenses  you were using?

thanks
J

scottgold

Details:
5DMK3 with ML and LightForm Cinema C preset, shot mostly at 60p. (I did not shoot RAW at all.)
24-105mm
50mm
Premiere CC
Colorista II
Film Convert Pro 2
Music: Daughters by Tony Anderson themusicbed.com/#!/artist/Tony-Anderson-7054/

KSphoto

Extremely cool! Really enjoyed it.
5DC, 5D2, 5D3, EOS M, too many lenses.

scottgold

Thanks KSphoto, I appreciate it!

ouuzi

Can you share your workflow?The colours are really good,and sharpness wise everything looks excellent.

scottgold

Everything was shot on the 5Dmk3 at 60p or 30p.  I used ML and the LightForm Cinema C profile. Used the on board mic for audio.
My go to lens was the 24-105mm because of the image stabilization.  I love that lens.  It's the best walk-about lens because it's way lighter than the 24-70mm and it's got a longer zoom.  If it was faster than 4.0 I would marry it.  I used the 50mm 1.4 for really dark situations.

In post, I simply import into Premeire CC and sort by date.  Then I watch all the clips and start dragging things I like to the sequence.  For pieces like this the music has already been selected. From there I assemble the edit and will make minor color corrections if things are really out of wack. 

Once I get v1 of the edit done, I'll start stabilizing shots that need them and begin color correcting here and there...not everything, just to bring things in line.
I'll then move on to v2 of the edit where clips are really starting to find their home.  I'll color correct some more.
At v3, all the clips are locked in place and I'll refine the audio and finalize all the color correcting.  I start with removing noise from clips that need it...I use NeatVideo.
I normally do Sharpening then...most 5Dmk3 shots need it.  Then I'll make some moves with Colorista 2 if it needs it bad, otherwise I'll just use FilmConvert and do all the moves in there.  Grain is added on a per clip basis using FilmConvert.
Then export using AME and that's it.  Hope that helps!
Thanks for watching!

ouuzi

Thanks a lot Scott !
Excellent walk through ,I appreciate it.
Do you transcode to prores?

scottgold

Nope, everything is native within Premiere CC.

zagfish

arturochu

great! the only thing is miss compared to raw is sharpness
Chu