W7 box: Raw>DNGs>AfterEffectsCC = SLOWWW to export after grading. Help???

Started by awesnap, February 18, 2014, 05:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awesnap

Hey there forum

Ok, so I did my first test run with shooting RAW, and WOW what an awesome improvement! The video I shot was under ground, with a ligthing guy who usually provides lighting for concerts/nightclubs, so it was awesome capturing the bright brights/dark darks, and being able to have control after shooting!!

My workflow that i'm using as of now (from what I gathered over the internet) is this...

/ Import MLV (M00, M01) files from card/
(5-13 minutes)
/ Convert MLV files into DNGs /
(4-12 minutes)
/ Open After Effects CC, import sequence by clicking on first frame, grading that first frame, and hit open /
(2-4 minutes)
/// Try to skip ahead, or ram preview any of it ///
(FOREVER minutes)

I wound up reverting to just picking settings in camera raw, applying, then export to adobe media encoder, wait an hour an a half, then put each of those files in premiere, and work with the entire video that way.  But the process from actually seeing if my raw edits are good enough, to the point where I use them in final edits takes YEARS.

I would LOVE some help on this, my system is no slouch, yet it seems like it is when working with raw video!

My setup is this:
AMD 8 Core 4 ghz
16 GB ram
2 ATI Gigabyte 7970s
256 SSD
Windows 7

baldand

Quote from: awesnap on February 18, 2014, 05:38:44 PM
..But the process from actually seeing if my raw edits are good enough, to the point where I use them in final edits takes YEARS.

Although it can't yet help you with the speed of full grading and editing, you could try MlRawViewer for previewing MLV files straight off the camera without needing to convert them. That might help you when selecting which files to take through the full process.

See http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.0

awesnap

Hmm, ok thanks! I can actually preview the clips using (oh gosh, I can't remember the program now)... Here it is, a program I downloaded called MLVBrowseSharp

Anyway, that certainly  comes in handy to view the clips but i'm after making the after effects process faster.  Would switching to an NVidia card make any difference in that operation?  I know that (most) adobe products are better off with using Cuda cores than using openGL, and programs like after effects aren't ready to use openCL or make use of ATI cards just yet, so if I switched GPUs would that make a difference?

As you can see my specs aren't teensy, and trying to figure out the bottleneck is driving me crazy :-/
Do you guys also go through this delay while converting to a usable format?