Pre vs Post MLV_DUMP - Pixellation introduced

Started by dubzeebass, February 17, 2014, 10:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubzeebass

Hi folks,

Here's the two pics for comparison: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7VaNSfNjUYOX09VbEw4X1ZxX2s&usp=drive_web

One I grabbed from the MLVRawViewer app as a screenshot, the other from a DNG from processing via MLV_DUMP on Mac. Look at the construction sign... I've seen that type of aliasing on a bunch of footage from today.

Does anyone know why MLV_DUMP would be causing such ugly stair stepping?

dubzeebass

Note: Recorded at 1920x818 (2.35:1).

The Preview from MLVRawViewer is in "High Quality" mode, too. Nothing resized in either case.

a1ex

How did you jump to the conclusion that mlv_dump is introducing artifacts? It outputs unmodified raw data if you don't ask for custom processing on the command line (like bad pixels or dark frame subtraction).

MlRawViewer uses one of the best demosaicing algorithms out there (AMaZE). Your post-processing software most likely doesn't use it.

dubzeebass

I use Resolve... I opened the DNGs in Photoshop and I see the stair-stepping too.

What would you do in this case to make the best possible output?

a1ex

I would use a program that uses a decent demosaicing algorithm (e.g. MlRawViewer or RawTherapee or darktable).

dubzeebass

Quote from: a1ex on February 17, 2014, 11:10:29 PM
I would use a program that uses a decent demosaicing algorithm (e.g. MlRawViewer or RawTherapee or darktable).

My issue with that is that I lose the ability to apply LUTs and grade the raw footage. Do we have any programs that will output from MLV/RAW using the Amaze algorithm into DNG?

Thanks a1ex!

a1ex

I don't know if MlRawViewer already does this (didn't record anything lately, so didn't really follow the updates), but it's very easy to code one (just make sure you output a linear DNG).

baldand

Quote from: dubzeebass on February 17, 2014, 11:16:54 PM
My issue with that is that I lose the ability to apply LUTs and grade the raw footage. Do we have any programs that will output from MLV/RAW using the Amaze algorithm into DNG?

This would be possible to add to MlRawViewer. It still doesn't have any DNG output yet although most of the low level code for that has already been written. Linear DNG (after demosaicing with AMaZE) should be feasible to add as an alternative to normal raw DNGs, though I have no idea how well Linear DNGs are handled in tools like Resolve.

I added it to the enhancement list: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/issue/24/encode-dngs

KyL

Hello guys,

I am also using  mlvRawviewer and mlvdump  for my raw video workflow and putting the DNG straight into Resolve. (both tools are great btw!) Everything is working fine, except that I also have aliasing and moire pattern.

I tried different solution to demosaic my DNG: Resolve, rawTherapee, cameraRaw and Nuke (using J_ops plugin). I found Resolve to be the best solution for my workflow (using linear 32bit EXR)
From what I see it looks like cameraRaw and Resolve are using an AHD demosaicing algorithm (this is a visual guess when looking at the final frame).

Quote from: baldand on February 18, 2014, 09:18:40 PM
Linear DNG (after demosaicing with AMaZE) should be feasible to add as an alternative to normal raw DNGs, though I have no idea how well Linear DNGs are handled in tools like Resolve.

This would be a geat improvement. From the test I have done so far, your implementation of the AMaZE algorithm is giving (by far) the best visual result. The only issue is that in my case I have the af pink dots issue, and needs also a chroma smooth 2x2 to get rid of it.

What dubzeebass and I (and hopefully others!) are looking for is a way to get the best demoisaicing out of the MLV files. If one single tool could handle preview, sound/frame extraction, demosaicing and export it would be awesome. And if MlRawViewer is the one, I am definitely behind you!