HDR bracketing - getting very unusual exposures

Started by john2014, January 17, 2014, 06:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2014

Hi, this is my first post.
I just did an install on my 60D. I'm pretty sure the install went well and I followed all the instructions to the letter. My 60D firmware is 1.1.1 (the camera is 2 months old) I downloaded v2.3

The first thing I did after the install (after turning the camera on and off) was to try to set up HDR bracketing. I set:

Frames: 5
EV inc:  1 EV
Sequence : 0 + ++ (This should give me darkest to lightest right?)
2 sec delay: OFF
ISO shifting :OFF
Post Scripts :OFF

When I shoot (in manual mode, exposure set to 0) this is what I'm getting:

3"    2.8 100 ISO
3"    2.8 100ISO
1.5" 2.8 100 ISO
3"    2.8 100 ISO
6"    2.8 100 ISO

As you can see the exposures are all over the place.
On other sets I've had the ISO jump all over the place even though ISO shifting was set to off.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Also, In the install instructions it say to copy ALL of the files from the download from the latest - I did that to the letter, but it didn't seem to make much sense that the files from other camera models where being transferred too.

Thanks in advance for any help!

john2014

UPDATE:

I'm not sure if I found the reason for the problem, but the problem has been resolved

After I installed I turned the camera on and off. I actually did this a few times to see if it would fix the problem - I did not. Actually the problems I had with the exposures jumping all over the place got worse to the point I felt I needed to take the battery out to reboot the camera. When I put the battery back in the bracketing started to work normally - and I have not had problems since.

After reading more into the User's Guide I also found that the ISO will shift when using Manual Mode - I didn't realize it would do that. So that fixed the part of the problem.

In short, it seems in my case I needed to do more that just turn the camera on and off after the install. I needed to remove the battery and put it back in.

engardeknave

Turning off the camera basically never does anything with ML. Always remove batteries.

You might want to search the bug reports for other problems. There are a number of issues that haven't been resolved.

john2014

You might want to search the bug reports for other problems.

Thanks, I will

Romer_la

Hi,

I've got similar results when shooting hdr time lapse with 5D2. Usually in "M" mode and 3-frame packs.
Every fifth of sixth pack has different exposures in over- or underexposure frames that results flickering when rendered to footage.
Removing battery does not help.
Is that camera's firmware or ML that's causing it? Firmware and ML are both up to date.

Thank you