Success at recording contentious 1920*1080 24fps RAW on a X600 card.

Started by ilaibenamar, February 21, 2014, 02:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilaibenamar

hello all,

i'm just starting out with ML, but I think i just got some very bizarre success at something...

I went and installed the latest nightly build of February 20 on my 5DIII (that had 1.2.1 firmware and i have downgraded it to 1.1.3).
installed the ML on a Sandisk 16GB SD (Ultra, 30mb/s)

i have a Dolgix 128GB CF that I have for some time now that i use for all of my photography needs. it works a charm.
so yesterday i ran tests for my CF to see how much i can record on it before the whole thing gets stuck of being too slow.
the 5 min benchmarks that i ran for like a dozen times avareged at 81-82 mb/s write speed.

and now i just finished recording a whole 24 min on the card!  :D how is that possible?

i'll also mention that i formatted the card to exFAT through windows (the simple format on windows explorer), so i can get it to record larger files than 4GB.

i'm posting this both to share and to ask how is it possible, because i'v been reading quite allot these last weeks before entering this realm, and everywhere it says only x1000 cards etc.

so how come i got this?  ???

ps
that's the said card:
http://www.amazon.com/Dolgix-128GB-Professional-Blaze6C-Compact/dp/B00AXRQYUU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

albert-e

if you installed ML on your Dolgix 128GB CF (600x) and based on the spec: http://www.amazon.com/Dolgix-128GB-Professional-Blaze6C-Compact/dp/B00AXRQYUU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Don't be surprise if you had a average write speed of 82mb/s. A 600x rating on memory cards simply:
"This reflects how much faster the card is than (believe it or not) a standard CD-ROM drive with a transfer speed of 150KB/sec; a rating of 66x or above would thus be equivalent to class 10. A 200x rating would imply a transfer rate of 30MB/sec. So, in your case (600x), is 600 times 150kb/s = 90MB/s; no surprise at all from your result:-)

ilaibenamar

Well, I haven't installed it on my CF, as I wrote, I installed ML on the SD card.

And I've posted it here because although what you say about speed, everywhere I read mentioned that people didn't have success continuous recording with cards less than x1000...
Also everywhere its mentioned that you need average write speed of no less than 84-85 mb/s and I got only 82...

So, still an anomaly I think.

chris_overseas

Normally the rating is the best-case read speed - write speeds are often 1/3 or so slower. So a 600x card writing at more than about 60MB/s under practical conditions is certainly a good (and I think unusual) outcome.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II