Travel in Dubai and Oman: 5dmkIII raw

Started by rungunshoot, February 15, 2014, 05:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rungunshoot

I've been using the 5dmkIII raw for some commercial work in Dubai.  Here's a video I made in my spare time showcasing the region's many visual contrasts, highlighting people and places I don't often see in other travelogues.

tjaja

Beautiful images! Colors are not overdone but still very vibrant.
5DFree, 550D, canon 50mm 1.4

rungunshoot

Quote from: tjaja on February 15, 2014, 05:12:37 PM
Beautiful images! Colors are not overdone but still very vibrant.

Thanks! I've been struggling a bit with the vimeo upload...I think it darkened the colors a little.  But yes, I was trying to keep it overall realistic looking.

ouuzi

VERY NICE!!!!
Well done bro!This is top stuff.

Scott Free

llirik

very nice! liked the feel of it. all the little dollies, did you use some support or just handheld it and then stabilized?

i did something similar, but didn't focus on people. thoroughly enjoyed this.

i wonder how you've convinced people to go for raw in dubai. so far everyone is scared, and keeps preferring that i shoot on the fs700

arrinkiiii

Canon eos m

Awesome!

How did you stabilize the shots (stabilizer, jigs?).

The editing and composition is by far the best I have seen. This is tru genius.

Could you also please throw some light on your workflow. A tut video for all noobs like me will be appreciated.

Great work. Hope to see more from you.

Edit: visited your Vimeo page - and am now a follower. It is funny, only the other day I mentioned to a friend how I found the philip bloom way of editing somewhat contrary to my sense of appeal. His composition and storyline is brilliant but the edit style is a bit patchy for my liking. My personal opinion. However, it was difficult for me to explain to my friend what I meant and what is it that I wanted to see differently.

Now, I have your content to show him! It is like the missing link.

Your website rungunshoot.com has a lot of informational stuff. Will go through the content in the coming days to learn.

Thank you again.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

rungunshoot

Quote from: llirik on February 17, 2014, 01:30:57 AM
very nice! liked the feel of it. all the little dollies, did you use some support or just handheld it and then stabilized?

i did something similar, but didn't focus on people. thoroughly enjoyed this.

i wonder how you've convinced people to go for raw in dubai. so far everyone is scared, and keeps preferring that i shoot on the fs700

Hi, thanks! Everything was handheld and stabilized in post.  Most of the lenses I were using were unstabilized (Rokinon cine lenses) so I just relied on FCP X's internal stabilizer and Lock & Load's stabilizer to smooth out the jitters.

As for convincing people to go for raw...I'm working with a young team at a progressive creative agency.  They trust me.  If the raw fails, it's my ass, but so far so good.

rungunshoot

Quote from: Canon eos m on February 17, 2014, 02:05:29 AM
Awesome!

How did you stabilize the shots (stabilizer, jigs?).

The editing and composition is by far the best I have seen. This is tru genius.

Could you also please throw some light on your workflow. A tut video for all noobs like me will be appreciated.

Great work. Hope to see more from you.

Edit: visited your Vimeo page - and am now a follower. It is funny, only the other day I mentioned to a friend how I found the philip bloom way of editing somewhat contrary to my sense of appeal. His composition and storyline is brilliant but the edit style is a bit patchy for my liking. My personal opinion. However, it was difficult for me to explain to my friend what I meant and what is it that I wanted to see differently.

Now, I have your content to show him! It is like the missing link.

Your website rungunshoot.com has a lot of informational stuff. Will go through the content in the coming days to learn.

Thank you again.

Thank you!  Everything was shot handheld and stabilized in post.  I'm planning a blog post with details on workflow, but it was basically: Convert RAW to DNG via Rawmagic, import into Resolve, fix white balance and set gamma to BMD Film, export ProRes 422.  Then edit and color correct/grade in FCP X using the native tools plus some plugins like Apply LUT and TKY Highlight and Shadow (for tonal correction).

Glad you like the editing style! I try to keep the pace brisk, even if I'm editing fairly static footage. It's a movie after all, and movies should move.

llirik

Quote from: rungunshoot on February 17, 2014, 05:11:54 AM
Hi, thanks! Everything was handheld and stabilized in post.  Most of the lenses I were using were unstabilized (Rokinon cine lenses) so I just relied on FCP X's internal stabilizer and Lock & Load's stabilizer to smooth out the jitters.

As for convincing people to go for raw...I'm working with a young team at a progressive creative agency.  They trust me.  If the raw fails, it's my ass, but so far so good.

awesome. which agency?

rungunshoot

They're called Team LMTD (teamlmtd.com)

3-year old social media agency that just started doing commercial production.

SYNDK8

Beautiful work.

Where is that Carom Board place exactly. I've been looking ages for one.

zacshome

Awesome work!! this got me using magic lantern raw again, did some test's on the weekend as I mainly shoot concerts for artist around the place, sad thing is night time footage always gets banding so easily in really dark environments with youtube//vimeo compression.

so i planned on battling this with uploading a DNxHD version, it kind of worked but not severely...do you mind sharing your settings for upload to vimeo // youtube to keep quality :)