cineform raw vs prores

Started by silvertonesx24, June 10, 2013, 04:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvertonesx24

Just wanted to clarify a few things, as I'm not an expert on raw workflow...

Is Cineform Raw truly lossless raw? I like the idea of that in theory at the compression ratios that I'm getting, but I'm not sure if it offers me any more quality than what I would get with the (free) Apple Prores which compresses to a similar size. Anyone have any opinions? I do not want to be working with CinemaDNG/Resolve/proxy editing workflows, I'd just like to commit to a quality intermediate codec and not have any regrets later in coloring.

1%

Cineform made patterns in my footage when converted directly, going from for instance AE to cineform is fine tho.. .check out their converter and try for yourself. Pro-RES is ok too, dnx HD as well.

iaremrsir

Quote from: silvertonesx24 on June 10, 2013, 04:33:51 AM
Just wanted to clarify a few things, as I'm not an expert on raw workflow...

Is Cineform Raw truly lossless raw? I like the idea of that in theory at the compression ratios that I'm getting, but I'm not sure if it offers me any more quality than what I would get with the (free) Apple Prores which compresses to a similar size. Anyone have any opinions? I do not want to be working with CinemaDNG/Resolve/proxy editing workflows, I'd just like to commit to a quality intermediate codec and not have any regrets later in coloring.

In favor of ProRes:
Free
Works on all computers with latest version of QT
Uses debayer of whichever program processes the files (could be good or bad)

In favor of CF Raw:
Raw (DANewman actually mentioned being able to convert back to DNG eventually)
Smaller than ProRes of similar quality

mo7ies

Cineform RAW preserves raw sensor data, so you have much wider options of working with Cineform RAW than, say, with ProRes which is already debayered.

With Cineform RAW you can apply non-destructive color correction and grading via LUTs, and your changes will instantly propagate without any rendering.

Check out RAW 2 CF RAW utility for Cineform RAW with audio merge.

painya

Is there a way to download RAW2 CF RAW?
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

mo7ies

adotphoto

Quote from: mo7ies on November 01, 2013, 05:38:27 AM
Yes, conditionally - look for "immediate download" option on the right: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/primehd/raw-2-cf-raw-convert-your-frames-into-video-fast
thanks for the link. gonna try it out to see if this helps my editing improve. is the essentially one of the programs that ppl use to convert their files to "proxies" so they can edit easier? theres so many out there, kinda getting confused with all of them. davinci resolve, cinema dng, cnefor, pro res, etc etc.