Latest & greatest 7D-build on a Mac

Started by bkummel, August 18, 2013, 04:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vjandrei

MACY64 thanks, work fine now!

Quote from: MACKY64 on August 31, 2013, 10:56:52 AM

@vjandrei
The build which you use is old.
This image is a ML menu of a latest build.

I use the britom's build.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg71824#msg71824

Thierry

Hi all,
I follow this guide but it doesn't work for me, why ?

(http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7752.0)
Installing ML on a 7D using a Mac
1. Preparation
a. Download a ready-made Mac-installation kit from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/prhvvukktwn3wfz/7D.zip (Thanks, DenJS!)
b. Unzip the file if it isn't already unzipped. You should now have a folder called 7D, containing the following files:
- booton.fir – patched firmware which will enable boot flag in your camera
- bootoff.fir – patched firmware which will disable boot flag
- 7D000203.FIR – original firmware 2.0.3
- MacBoot.class – java application wich help you make your CF card bootable
- run.command – shell script to run java app properly.
- To root CF card – a folder containing the ML-build.

2. Enable the bootflag in your camera:
a. Take an empty CF-card, put in in a card-reader connected to your Mac and copy the booton.fir-file to it.
b. Put the CF-card in your camera and turn the camera on.
c. Open the menu, go to the 3rd yellow tab with the wrench-icon and choose the last option: "Firmware version 2.0.3"
d. Choose "Update firmware" and wait a few seconds. The firmware-update-program will start and after a few seconds you'll return to a black screen.
e. Now turn off you camera and eject the CF-card.
f. Remove the booton.fir-file from the CF-card.
g. Re-install the 2.0.3-firmware: follow the same steps as before, now with the 7D000203.FIR-file.

3. Create a bootable MagicLantern-card:
a. Put the CF-card in the card-reader.
b. Start the MacBoot-program, by double-clicking on the run.command. Enter you password if asked.
c. In the MacBoot program, select the size of the CF-card which you inserted and press Reresh.
d. Select Make DSLR-bootable and press Prepare Card.
e. Now copy all files from the folder To root CF card to the root of the CF-card.
f. Insert the CF-card in your camera and power it on.
g. You should hear a beep, indicating that MagicLantern has booted. You're ready to go! Press the trashcan-button on your 7D to enter the ML-menu.

At 3.d. step MacBoot don't creat a DSLR-bootable and said this, why? :

disk is unknown format -    Device Identifier:        disk1s1
Can't handle unknown disk format - Device Identifier: disk1s1
Device Node: /dev/disk1s1
Part of Whole: disk1
Device / Media Name: Untitled 1
Volume Name: Not applicable (no file system)
Mounted: Not applicable (no file system)
File System: None
Partition Type: Windows_FAT_32
OS Can Be Installed: No
Media Type: Generic
Protocol: USB
SMART Status: Not Supported
Total Size: 15.4 GB (15434850816 Bytes) (exactly 30146193 512-Byte-Blocks)
Volume Free Space: Not applicable (no file system)
Device Block Size: 512 Bytes
Read-Only Media: No
Read-Only Volume: Not applicable

DenJS

Did you format your CF in camera?
If yes, insert it to mac, open Terminal.app and type diskutil list
press enter, copy&paste output here.

Thierry

Thank you Den JS,

Yes I format CF in 7D camera.
I type diskutil list in terminal.app and this output:

Last login: Tue Sep  3 08:57:58 on ttys000
localhost:~ ThierryDaugaImage$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI                                 209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            2.0 TB     disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                            SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                              *15.4 GB    disk1
   1:             Windows_FAT_32 EOS_DIGITAL             15.4 GB    disk1s1
localhost:~ ThierryDaugaImage$

DenJS

Looks good, maybe you need to check filesystem on CF, you may try do it with disk utility

Fringuello

Italy - canon 7D

arana05

Quote from: LOGAN570 on August 19, 2013, 12:25:33 PM
Hello  bkummel

ooops...
Try to install this package first.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/im00mehx3wqt682/OSX_cr2hdr_package.zip

Man thank you so much for that... I was really really struggling to get it to work...
really really REALLY appreciate

ChrisContiPhoto

Okay, how about getting exFAT to work on the 7D?

This doesn't have to do with RAW video per se, but as best as I can tell this is still the best place to ask this question:

This doc seems to suggest that exFAT (& therefore >4GB file sizes and therefore longer recording times) should work on the 7D: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5 )
If so, which ML version or build should I be using?

My primary goal (at least right now) isn't RAW video, but extended record times recording normal old h.264 (longer than 22 minutes or whatever the normal 4GB limit is).
Has anybody gotten exFAT working on the 7D? I've tried, but can't.

Here's what I tried:
- I did the complete ML install process detailed in the OP (thanks bkummel, that was really helpful!)
- I reformatted the CF card to exFAT in Disk Utility
- I ran MacBoot again just to make sure the card was still bootable
- I recopied all the ML files from the "To root of CF card" folder back onto the root of the CF card
- I put the card back in the camera, turned it on....

... and got the "this card is not readable" error.
Womp womp.

Any ideas?

ChrisContiPhoto

Update:
Over on this thread here "ted ramasola" says that the 7D does NOT support exFAT. Does everyone agree with this?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg75785#msg75785

If so, the Google doc I referenced above should be changed, because it says that the 7D does support exFAT.

1%

QuoteOkay, how about getting exFAT to work on the 7D?

>128gb card or fw patch is the only option I can think of.

ChrisContiPhoto

Quote from: 1% on September 13, 2013, 07:31:43 PM
>128gb card or fw patch is the only option I can think of.

How would a 128GB card help?
UPDATE: NM, on the other thread 1% said that apparently the 7D DOES support exFAT, just only on cards >=128GB...

1%

The camera boots and says is this a 128gb+ card? read as exfat. <128gb... read as fat32.

SLVRBCK

Hi, everything worked fine with this installation (kbummel) on a mac. But actually I'm missing the full audio settings in the ML menu. I just see the audio beep and sound recorder but nothing else (gain, noise , ....) and yes i'm in movie mode ... any experience?
EOS 7D / EF 50mm 1:1.4 / EFS 18-135mm

johming

at the point 3.e of the explanation I lose myself ( at the very end ! : - [ )
I realized that I need to copy the files in the folder "To root of CF card" to the card ..
but : there are two folders DCIM and MISC ( among other things) inside the card, what do I do to replace it ?
- I have did it the first time but I did not hear any sound when I turned on the 7D and above all does not work the magic lantern menu when I click on Q
- The second time I deleted what was on the inside of the card and I replaced it completely with what is in the folder "To root of CF card ."
still the same problems.
Pressing the INFO button I see that the screen displays the details of ML , but again if I click on Q does not exit any menu .
I have not mounted any lens when i did it.

One other thing : while I was doing the procedure I clicked on RUN to go macboot , I opened a window asking me a psw but I could not write within that window , as if you could do it (I've tried also to click several times , nothing )
Then I opened the program MacBoot clicking on the file " MacBoot " and the program is started without any problems.

Where did I go wrong ? Help please let
Can I go back?

If i use more than one card, what i have to do with that CF cards?

(sorry for my bad english)

johming

Now I put the original firmware (2.0.3) on the 7D, I formatted the card with which I had installed magic lantern, but when I put the card the machine will not turn on.
I tried to format it from the Mac, but I do not work anymore.
Should I throw away the card? or I have a chance?

banu4590

Quote from: bkummel on August 18, 2013, 04:16:10 PM
Hi all,

I've just installed the latest and greatest 7D-build on my camera, using my MacBook. As I found the installation instructions for Mac users a little hard to find, I thought I'd share my experiences with you. I hope other Mac-using 7D-owners will appreciate my summary. Here we go...

Installing ML on a 7D using a Mac

1. Preparation
a. Download a ready-made Mac-installation kit from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/prhvvukktwn3wfz/7D.zip (Thanks, DenJS!)
b. Unzip the file if it isn't already unzipped. You should now have a folder called 7D, containing the following files:

- booton.fir – patched firmware which will enable boot flag in your camera
- bootoff.fir – patched firmware which will disable boot flag
- 7D000203.FIR – original firmware 2.0.3
- MacBoot.class – java application wich help you make your CF card bootable
- run.command – shell script to run java app properly.
- To root CF card – a folder containing the ML-build.

2. Enable the bootflag in your camera:
a. Take an empty CF-card, put in in a card-reader connected to your Mac and copy the booton.fir-file to it.
b. Put the CF-card in your camera and turn the camera on.
c. Open the menu, go to the 3rd yellow tab with the wrench-icon and choose the last option: "Firmware version 2.0.3"
d. Choose "Update firmware" and wait a few seconds. The firmware-update-program will start and after a few seconds you'll return to a black screen.
e. Now turn off you camera and eject the CF-card.
f. Remove the booton.fir-file from the CF-card.
g. Re-install the 2.0.3-firmware: follow the same steps as before, now with the 7D000203.FIR-file.

3. Create a bootable MagicLantern-card:
a. Put the CF-card in the card-reader.
b. Start the MacBoot-program, by double-clicking on the run.command. Enter you password if asked.
c. In the MacBoot program, select the size of the CF-card which you inserted and press Reresh.
d. Select Make DSLR-bootable and press Prepare Card.
e. Now copy all files from the folder To root CF card to the root of the CF-card.
f. Insert the CF-card in your camera and power it on.
g. You should hear a beep, indicating that MagicLantern has booted. You're ready to go! Press the trashcan-button on your 7D to enter the ML-menu.

Not booting?
Please make sure you have copied the files from the To root CF card-folder. If you have a bootable card, but not the files in the root folder, the camera will "hang" until you remove the battery.

I did exactly, whatever mentioned in the first post. But, when I insert the CF Card, camera does'nt start/boot? I followed every step given, including copying all files. Is there something I am missing? And, also pls. let me know how can revert back, whatever I did.

This is log - when I runned 'run', debug enabled -

Suitable cards present: 2
scripts=false chdkboot=false chdk32boot=false dslrboot=true
Command 'diskutil unmountDisk disk4' = 'Unmount of all volumes on disk4 was successful'
   return code was 0
making DLSR-bootable - format=2
making FAT32 DSLR-bootable
Command 'printf "EOS_DEVELOP" | dd bs=1 count=11 seek=0x47 conv=notrunc of=/dev/disk4s1' = '
11+0 records in
11+0 records out
11 bytes transferred in 0.000793 secs (13872 bytes/sec)'
   return code was 0
Command 'printf "BOOTDISK" | dd bs=1 count=8 seek=0x5C conv=notrunc of=/dev/disk4s1' = '
8+0 records in
8+0 records out
8 bytes transferred in 0.000686 secs (11663 bytes/sec)'
   return code was 0
Command 'diskutil mountDisk disk4' = 'Volume(s) mounted successfully'
   return code was 0

rdickerson

banu4590 - you need to run it with elevated privileges. Try opening a terminal and cd'ing to the directory, then run 'sudo ./run.command'. that should make it work.

mahantaa

Hi Rdickerson, I am facing the same problem as faced by Banu 4590. My 7d simply does not boot. I have followed all the instructions to the letter. Still the problem persists. I am using a 64GB Sandisk extreme pro 160mbs/s cf card. Earlier i used a 32 GB 60MB/S cf card and initially ML worked fine. But now with the 32 GB card also the camera does not boot.  Request your help on this.