5D Only Bracketing from -2 to +2...please help

Started by acroreef, February 17, 2014, 06:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acroreef

I installed the Magic Lantern on my Canon 5D following instructions, including updating to the proper firmware. I first set the camera at Aperature priority. On the Magic Lantern menu I set the bracket type to exposure TV (so that aperature remains constant). I set the frames to 9. The EV increment is set to 1. The sequence to 0, -, +, -, -, +, +. (I chose this from the three listed options). I have ISO shifting and postscripts turned off.

When I attempt to take a photo, the camera only brackets from -2 to +2, which is the Canon limit for the 5D anyway. I thought the Magic Lantern would override that so that I would get brackets greater than -2 and +2. I may be misunderstanding the capabilities. If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

acroreef

If I use manual mode, how will that keep the aperture constant through the entire series of photos so depth of field remains the same?

a1ex

acroreef

I did review the user guide and I still do not understand what I (or Magic Lantern) might be doing wrong.

My assumptions were as follows: My 5D only brackets from -2 to +2. So I thought that by installing Magic Lantern and setting the number of frames to 9, Magic Lantern would somehow bracket from -4 to +4, (I've set 1EV increments). . Am I somehow understanding this incorrectly? I did try the manual mode but that doesn't help. Any advice the kind folks on this forum could provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave

nanomad

Some questions:
Which 5D?
What shutter drive mode?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Africashot

Quote from: acroreef on February 17, 2014, 07:07:54 AM
If I use manual mode, how will that keep the aperture constant through the entire series of photos so depth of field remains the same?
By using manual mode you are doing just that, the only settings changing are the once controlled by you bracketing algorythm
Quote from: acroreef on February 18, 2014, 12:34:02 AM
I did review the user guide and I still do not understand what I (or Magic Lantern) might be doing wrong.

My assumptions were as follows: My 5D only brackets from -2 to +2. So I thought that by installing Magic Lantern and setting the number of frames to 9, Magic Lantern would somehow bracket from -4 to +4, (I've set 1EV increments). . Am I somehow understanding this incorrectly? I did try the manual mode but that doesn't help. Any advice the kind folks on this forum could provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave
Make sure bracketing in the canon menu is turned off, then go into the ML menu and activate bracketing, choose 1 EV and let ML decide how many exposures to take, let me know if this works.
ML 5D2 & T3i

acroreef

Thank you for the followup....

I have the original 5D.

I did place the camera on manual mode. And I allowed the ML to decide how many frames to take. This seems to have worked!  :) The ISO and Aperture have remained constant, only the shutter speed has changed. I also made sure that my lens is set to manual focus.

I took an interior shot and ML fired off 12 shots. (Better to have too many, I can delete those I do not need). So this seems to have worked. A great dynamic range, much better than the -2/+2 for my camera.

One more question please....

My camera only has a 10 second timer setting. Is there any way to over ride this somehow and just have a two second timer?

Thanks again to all that have helped.

Dave

Africashot

Sorry but I am not familiar with the original 5D' the 5D2has a 2 sec timer that can be activated in the ML advanced bracketing menu, check if its there on the 5D, if it isn't there chances are that there might be no options for this...
ML 5D2 & T3i