elapsed time indicator is gone on nightly build 5D 3

Started by dustatron, November 11, 2013, 07:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pompeiisneaks

HEY!  It showed up, but I've got something else wrong now, it showed just a 0:00 so data isn't making it into it, but from there at least I have a starting point.  Cool!

~Phil

pompeiisneaks

Remaining time seems to update every 2 seconds as if it were elapsed time hehe.  Elapsed doesn't show up, avg bitrate seems to show nothing, but 0:00 for a second then a white block. and instant bitrate shows some data definitely.  So I'm on track and can debug this, cool!

~Phil

pompeiisneaks

Okay, working the kinks out.  I've got this working but a few questions. 

Problem 1.  the elapsed works well but seems to update only every 2 seconds not sure why.  ideas?
problem 2.  remaining seems to be doing something but it goes all over the place and sometimes has a really large non time number at the start 2345282934 or something. 
problem 3(?not a necessarily a problem). avg bitrate seems logical, goes up and down a bit but when I'm doing ALL-I, its seems to sit around 50-60mb/s is that normal? 
problem 4. the instant bitrate isn't, its total bits drawn, so I'm going to try and divide that by time elapsed and see if that seems more correct. 

At any rate, the only other thing that remains is how do I reset it after I stop recording?  Elapsed time just keeps ticking until I hit record again, what stops the LVINFO from writing data?  do I look for some other buf[0] value change for 'stopping recording' or in my == 0 value is there some 'LVINFO' reset function I can wipe it?

~Phil

pompeiisneaks

Okay so solution to 4, dividing by elapsed time seems to give a constant value, about 6/7 Mb/s.  This seems more realistic for MB/s, and the raw seems to be more along the 50-60Mb/s from what I recall, so I realized the previous calculation for Mb/s seemed to do this;

raw_bitrate / 1024 * 8 / 1024 (HUH?)

but in the lower instant they did

raw bitrate / 1024 / 1024

this makes more sense.  so I'm removing the *8 because 4*7 is wow 42 ish heheh.

I'll see if that resolves it.  building now.

~Phil

pompeiisneaks

This seems related to issue: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1759/record-indicator-not-visible  I've commented there,  the code is working now and could use some testing via nightly etc.  It looks like it may not be working in other cameras, likely for the same reason, I'll have to take a look at blind porting my code over in the other bitrate*.c files, as I don't have another camera to test against.  (other than my wife's t3i I guess but I'd have to ask her if she minds :P)

a1ex

Work in progress from pompeiisneaks and nanomad added to 5D3 123 repo.

https://bitbucket.org/chris_miller/magic-lantern/commits/all

From this point, one has to double-check the formulas and the MVR constants.

a1ex

chris_overseas finished it and the indicator is working again on 5D3, hopefully on both firmware versions.

pompeiisneaks

So last I left this, I had functioning code but it was using the wrong methods to provide it, so we changed the code to use methods that don't work at all.  Did we determine why expected behavior was not working?  This issue could be considered resolved if we can sort that out.  Is it because I'm on the 5D3.123 code base by Chris Miller and its causing the LVINFO code to not trigger as expected by the INIT_FUNC method?

pompeiisneaks

Oh odd, sorry looks like somehow my browser didn't update the last few posts.  I'll give it a test soon and see what I get.

~Phil

chris_overseas

Yes the elapsed time and bitrates should be working correctly now. It turned out the instant bitrate had been broken for a very long time, it was showing the average rate rather than instant. Also note that I think you're mistaking Mb/s (megaBITs/second) for MB/s (megaBYTEs/second). The factor of 8 was required to give Mb/s so I put it back in.

https://bitbucket.org/chris_miller/magic-lantern/commits/c93085ca474d720819e0d79c40c308b0780d8bd1
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II