Tone mapping RAW DNGs?

Started by mrd777, February 11, 2014, 12:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrd777

Hey Guys,

I saw someone have a video and I think someone mentioned that they did HDR video. From my research, the ML HDR hack is only good for slow movements. So filming a movie, for example, with the HDR probably wont work. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

That leads me to ask, what about tone mapping. From my understanding, this is when you fake HDR by exporting multiple exposures from one raw image.

My point is, I'm trying to see if I can get an even better dynamic range after I record raw.  Exploring my options, seeing what you all have to say about it.

Thank you,
Mr D

dmilligan

Tone mapping has nothing to do with faking multiple exposures or increasing dynamic range. It has to do with taking the high DR raw data that you have (that actually has a larger DR than the medium you are trying to display it on => 14bit raw vs. 8bit screen) and actually reducing the the dynamic range of it in such a way that the human eye still percieves the scene the same way (it tricks the eye into thinking there's more DR in the cut down version than there really is, but it can't represent more DR than is in the original).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_mapping
QuoteTone mapping is a technique used in image processing and computer graphics to map one set of colors to another in order to approximate the appearance of high dynamic range images in a medium that has a more limited dynamic range. Print-outs, CRT or LCD monitors, and projectors all have a limited dynamic range that is inadequate to reproduce the full range of light intensities present in natural scenes. Tone mapping addresses the problem of strong contrast reduction from the scene radiance to the displayable range while preserving the image details and color appearance important to appreciate the original scene content.

mrd777

dmilligan, thank you. That makes sense. Appreciate it!

Audionut

Tone mapping is any adjustment to rendered brightness, since you are mapping the tonal values from one point to another.

engardeknave

Probably just increase shadow/reduce highlights in ACR/LR.