RawTherapee, Resizing and bad quality...

Started by Thejungle, February 10, 2014, 02:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thejungle

Hello all forum members!

I looked all over internet for a solution, but couldn't find any. I'm asking for help or for some ideas.
I have very NO-BUDGET situation, already bought 600D and it is all I can afford, but I plan some professional film shooting in future. And here is my problem. I have to use Lightroom alternatives, so I use free RawTherapee. But a problem with it is - it actually destroys whole DNG quality when importing.

I compared quality of converted, pure DNG's with what I get after importing to RawTherapee and it is horrible! RawTherapee changes colors and adds a lot of noise which is ubsent in DNG's! I don't know why it is like that (I use v3, because 4.0 crashes with batch processing), but I need to search for some alternetives. I checked LightZoom free software but it doesn't remove hot/dead pixels (despite the fact they say it does, on the website wiki).

Now I'm stuck. I want to get as best as I can from my (not very High-Res already) RAW video capability. It looks decent when upscaled to FHD properly. But RT adds this ugly noise, so it degradates image, while original looks clear!

I hope you might have some ideas and solutions to help me, bcs I don't have even 20 bucks to spend on additional software... Thanks!

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Thejungle

Quote from: Luiz Roberto dos Santos on February 10, 2014, 02:16:30 PM
Can up. some sample?

For samples just run your own RawTherapee and compare it to what you see in pure DNG. BTW, nvm, I've solved the problem with Photivo, it rocks and beats every free tool I used. Check it out!

escho

No problem with 600D and rawtherapee here. But I prefer to use darktable.

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

No problem here, too. Try update rawtherapee and install new builds of ML.

Thejungle

Quote from: escho on February 11, 2014, 10:19:39 PM
No problem with 600D and rawtherapee here. But I prefer to use darktable.

Edgar
Check twice, I assure you you'd have much more noise with RT. I use up to date ML nightlies (no TL) and newest RT. I'm checking Darktable already. Thanks! No windows version... :( So I assume Photivo is best solution for free RAW processing to the date..

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Report your bugs for dev. of RT project, please. Seen's normal to me here...

Audionut

Quote from: Thejungle on February 11, 2014, 09:57:41 PM
For samples just run your own RawTherapee and compare it to what you see in pure DNG.

The entire point of providing samples is to show exactly the problem you describe.

Blind statements such as your quote above and,

Check twice, I assure you you'd have much more noise with RT.

Solve to help no-one, including yourself.

These useless statements combined with these statements,

BTW, nvm, I've solved the problem with Photivo, it rocks and beats every free tool I used. Check it out!
So I assume Photivo is best solution for free RAW processing to the date..

Lead one to believe that you are a troll.

Next time, post samples when asked, and don't blindly bash one thing without proper evidence to back your claims, while also sprouting on about how awesome some other thing is.

Since Rawtherapee is open source, you should follow the advice of Luiz Roberto dos Santos and report your bugs to the Rawtherapee devs.