Difference from a good video to a awesome video.

Started by bennyray1, February 09, 2014, 06:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyray1

I have a general question about the genesis of a short video. My question is to all the various video experts that contribute their awesome video's here and to the public, Do you usually already have a song or music in mind before you begin to capture your content? I am curious because I want to improve my video's, but when I record my content or subject should I already have a song or music already in mind, or does my content lead me to the song or music. I have noticed that the better video's coincide with the music, as far as tempo,cuts, and mood. I am an inspiring videographer, only really for personal applications, but i want to make better video's. If any one has any suggestions as far as genesis of a project that would be very helpful.I mainly film surfing, skating, and skimboarding for the surfshop I work for and I would like to make much better productions from start to finish. Thank you in advance for any suggestions from the inspiring community in this forum.

1%

From all the composers I've dealt with:

match the cuts to the song. you don't necessarily have to have it in mind when shooting but filming for editing does help overall.

bennyray1

Quote from: 1% on February 09, 2014, 07:24:08 PM
From all the composers I've dealt with:

match the cuts to the song. you don't necessarily have to have it in mind when shooting but filming for editing does help overall.

Thank you very much sir for the reply. I also know this question is also very slim as far as the overall output desired. I also am keeping in mind composition, framing, technical aspects as in shutter speed, lighting, and etc.. I just noticed that the best video's shared here have amazing music that just adds so much to their projects.Thank you again.Getting started is always the hardest thing to do, I just do not want to just film content with no direction, then I just have a lot of footage that is completely unnecessary. I guess the best editors though just film tons of content and pick and choose what tells the story the best way.

1%

heh, the "best" editors are usually not around for the production. they just get the media and go from there.

bennyray1

Quote from: 1% on February 09, 2014, 07:54:44 PM
heh, the "best" editors are usually not around for the production. they just get the media and go from there.

Yeah, sorry my terminology is probably not correct, I am only thinking of like small vimeo videos done personally from start to finish by one person. The whole professional level of a team of people that create projects is beyond my scope,hahah..