Color Correction/LUTs Adobe RAW

Started by Adrift, February 09, 2014, 04:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrift

hi,
sadly DaVinci Resolve does not seem to work on my computer (something about my graphics card).
I guess the best alternative in correcting/grading my footage is to use Adobe Camera RAW in After Effects.
I know that its a great thing but I am somewhat overwhelmed by the possibilities. I am reading a lot about those so called LUTs which you seem to be able to use with Resolve.
Here is my question: is it possible to use LUTs in ACR or is there an alternative, a preset you can use in AE that gives your footage a certain look (Arri Alexa please :-) )
Do you have other advice regarding the use of ACR
THANKS!

tonybeccar

Yes, look up for VisionLog.. it emulates the Alexa.. also, you can make a preset yourself in ACR.. just color correct, then hit the little button and "Save preset", it's an xmp.. that you can apply to any dng files, or make it default.

Adrift

Luzestudio

Quote from: tonybeccar on February 09, 2014, 05:03:46 PM
Yes, look up for VisionLog.. it emulates the Alexa.. also, you can make a preset yourself in ACR.. just color correct, then hit the little button and "Save preset", it's an xmp.. that you can apply to any dng files, or make it default.

Thanks a lot for this info, just trying VisionLog and looks awesome!
-----
www.luzestudio.es

johnny5d

Is there also a lut for ACR for a instant film look?

jimmyD30

Yes, there are Kodak and Fuji Film look LUTs out there (and probably others), many are free, just google for them. Plus there are plugins that can add 'film grain' to your shots.

chmee

sorry guys, laughing a little. After Effects (and ACR also) are that big, you could build your own "Looks" (thats, when a lot are talking about LUTs). If you dont find a Look or it doesnt fit, build it on your own. A LUT does not neccessarily "color-corrects" your footage, it just blows kind of stardust and bubbles on it.. differentiate between primary (neutralisation) and secondary (style or look) correction. it makes the workflow a lot more comfortable.

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

jimmyD30

Lol, now you got me laughing, we're talking about available preset 'looks' not color-correcting or creating and saving your own look settings. Are you confused with another thread maybe?

chmee

no, not really:

"Kodak and Fuji Film look LUTs out there"
"possible to use LUTs in ACR"

the main idea of a LUT wasnt primarly getting a look, but normalizing the footage to a standard - so it is still in resolve or speedgrade - they're just used in this context (here) for being a style, a look. clicking and deciding, if its looking cool or not. not? loading up more "presets" into this LUT-List, clicking more.. its a simple presets-game.. less work, simply saying.

jimmyD30

I agree their original intention was for normalizing footage, but today they are also used creatively for applying a look to already color-corrected or at least color-aligned footage.

chmee

i dont want to sound harsh. of course you can use them for a look - but i doubt, the footage was normalized before. it makes a big difference (in terms of workflow) doin first a correction, then a look. a lot of users do not know this kind of work-organisation - for example, for skin tones.. later its nearly impossible to find the according sliders to readjust sensitive areas..

i just ended my short submission :) sorry and regards chmee

jimmyD30

Ha, I was just posting when you posted :-)

Yes, seems we both are making assumptions about the state of the footage in which the OP and others are referring to for applying LUTs and whether or not they know about and/or are using good/acceptable post workflows for the use of LUTs creatively. Because if not, applying LUTs to untouched footage (uncorrected or unmatched) can actually make things worse if not a nightmare when trying to color/style-match shots of the same scene, etc.

Here's a link to a site that discusses the use of LUTs creatively (with LUTs you can download): http://juanmelara.com.au/print-film-emulation-luts-for-download/