What causes pink frames in raw footage on a T3i?

Started by sloore, July 27, 2013, 06:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deletedAcc.0021

Did a bit more trial and error testing with the latest nightly, Six Thirty TL2.0 and a newly compiled bin from 1%'s repo.

Settings using SanDisk 45Mb card

1st test
960X540
1080 @ 24fps
GD off

Nightly build    = 500 frames w/34 pink frames
TL2.0 SixThirty = 500 frames w/3 pink frames
Newly compiled from1% repo = 500 frames w/29 pink frames

2nd test
960X540
640 @ 15fps (fps override)
GD off

Nightly build    = 500 frames w/44 pink frames
TL2.0 SixThirty = 500 frames w/22 pink frames
Newly compiled from1% repo = 500 frames w/39 pink frames

I've read that changing pic quality to 640 & lower fps will yield better results, but not so in my test.

The SixThirty build seems to be the most efficient of the three.  I don't understand why the newly compiled build from 1% repo is almost as bad as the nightly, unless some changes in the unified code was pushed to 1%.

I guess the best option is to try and improve the h.264 with higher bitrates, as raw just won't cut it for commercial use.  Either that or just get a better camera ;)

Thejungle

Quote from: CFP on July 27, 2013, 11:45:56 PMset the 'Pic Quality' to 'SRAW' (And reboot your camera!) to increase the shoot_malloc buffer size.

Where can I do this? I can't find an option for sRAW anywhere.

spider

You need TragicLantern and not MagicLantern for it.

Rshred

Make sure that if you do use sRaw that you change the setting back to a normal pic setting (raw, large fine, etc...) before you switch to a newer nightly build. If you don't switch the setting back then you will not be able to change the pic size setting with the newer nightly... You will have to re-install a tragic lantern build in order to switch the pic size setting back to normal.