How to apply camera raw preset without opening all 5,000 clips?

Started by AsherVast, February 07, 2014, 06:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsherVast

I shoot music videos. Most are under 5 minutes but that's a lot of dngs to edit in camera raw. Anyone know how to apply color settings to 5,000 dng's in camera raw, without opening all of them? I made a preset that would work well on the rest but if I drop those 5,000 dngs in photoshop, it's going to take over an hour to open it and I have dozens of takes. Any tips?

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

PressureFM

Quote from: AsherVast on February 07, 2014, 06:20:17 AM
I shoot music videos. Most are under 5 minutes but that's a lot of dngs to edit in camera raw. Anyone know how to apply color settings to 5,000 dng's in camera raw, without opening all of them? I made a preset that would work well on the rest but if I drop those 5,000 dngs in photoshop, it's going to take over an hour to open it and I have dozens of takes. Any tips?

You only need to do it for the first DNG in an image sequence in programs like Premiere Pro.

dmilligan

I do all ACR stuff from Bridge. You can select a large sequence of images and apply ACR settings to all of them from one dialog. The advantage to Br is that you can scroll through all your images on the left side and preview on any image in your sequence (not just the first like in AE or Pr, it's sometimes hard to get all the settings right just from looking at the first image), just select all and any changes you make to slider will apply to all images. The ACR settings you change are stored in metadata and honored by AE or Pr when you import them. If you ask me, it's really stupid that AE and Pr don't show you this nice multi-file ACR dialog when you're importing a sequence, but that's Adobe for you.

You might also find this helpful.

jonnyginese

Unless you are doing some crazy shadow and highlight corrections you should probably use day Da vinci Resolve.

I watched a tutorial online recently and it dramatically increased my workflow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jASBwVSOlXk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The "highlight recovery" box really does make a difference. If uou as rent on mac you can use Michael browser to rip all the dng and audio files into one folder. Then in da vinci you open the one folder and ot recognizes all the clip sequences. And on windows using DNxHD 422 is cross platformfor mac use where pro res is not with resolve. You will need to install the codec if you dont have it. Its from Avid and is free. 

After finding this I sont use ACR unless I have a complete turd of a shot that needs polishing.

Nofilmschool did a great job on the tutorial. You should check it out.  They go through it all.. even making proxies for editing and everything if you dont want to go street to a HQ intermediate format like prores 422 HQ.

Hope that helps.
Cameras: 5D3 | 60D
Prime Lenses: Samyang 14mm 2.8 | 24mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Nikkor 105 2.5
Zoom Lenses: Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | Canon 80-200 2.8 L

WeekendWarrior

Open after effects, go to File > Import >File and select the first dng. Make sure you have the sync button checked.. Then go ahead and make your adjustments and press ok, and all the dngs should be corrected and opened as one file in After Effects.