600D Audio Controls?

Started by testaevisual, June 17, 2012, 06:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

QuoteThe camera will be mic-in through the Speaker.

Monitor through speaker could be an option. My main issue is the blacked out lcd at startup. I've never had LCD unless I start camera with headphones unplugged. This is bad for battery changes, etc.

L/R input and output separate controls maybe? The digital gains didn't seem to do anything but I need to test more and read the code. And need to figure out a quicker way for audio on/off because going to the canon menu is a bit of work.

scrax

moving around         audio_monitoring_update();
I can get back LCD after starting up with the cable connected after going in LV or pressing PLAY, pulling the changes

Quote from: 1% on August 06, 2012, 05:40:15 AM
L/R input and output separate controls maybe? The digital gains didn't seem to do anything but I need to test more and read the code. And need to figure out a quicker way for audio on/off because going to the canon menu is a bit of work.
digital gain is working but not as expected, i have the same high volume from -12 thru 0 to  -129, -133, -137, -139...
to disable it on canon menu from ML maybe is possible like with FPS.

I think that if there is a way to record audio with ic off in canon menu also pops will be reduced (because of less fighting with canon setting up ic before us).
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

miyake

hmm, LCD behavior is something strange when startup and not connected HeadPhone.

scrax

now I can startup with LCD and headphonr connected, your fix and ny dirty attemp seems working...
only little issue is that it takes more to show the screen at start

To me looks like that so far digital gain and wind filter needs more test and optimization
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

miyake

line 2284 has no ifdefs. So I suggest to move this to top of meter_task().
It already has ifdefs .

1%

Wind filter is highpass and dc offset? I used to be able to tell the difference when I hit those 2 on, now I can't.

QuoteI think that if there is a way to record audio with ic off in canon menu also pops will be reduced

Its pretty possible, just need to find the right property to change or function to call in firmware. Somewhat related to limit bypass conceptually. Need control over the MVR.

miyake

hmm. not working on my side. ..  LCD is always black out

(llllllllllllllllllllllol
Sorry! my HPmonitoring menu was off.................I'm a little bit tired.

Now working fine.

scrax

Quote from: miyake on August 06, 2012, 06:34:22 AM
line 2284 has no ifdefs. So I suggest to move this to top of meter_task().
It already has ifdefs .
I've put it there because was the first place where I find it worked (supposing that it will work also on other camera), but probably you can find a better place for it. I can't understand where you mean to move itlooking at your code now
Understood, I've tried it there but it was not working before because was missing some code you added.
Now it's really faster than before! :D

scrax

Quote from: 1% on August 06, 2012, 06:36:58 AM
Wind filter is highpass and dc offset? I used to be able to tell the difference when I hit those 2 on, now I can't.

yes. I can't tell the difference anymore too, but not done a lot of test

miyake

Quoteyes. I can't tell the difference anymore too, but not done a lot of test

my regdump analyzing, I found Canon firm is not touch DC filter. Is it a reason for not touching?
They only touch HPF2 filter on/off only.

1%

It seems like more of a noise floor so they always leave it on. When I had it off the meters were always showing activity and up much higher than normal.  They always use ALC too, at higher volumes for some reason.

miyake

1%
I confirmed too. So we need to always off this option? I think user can choose setting values. So I think it has no problem when remaining this option.

Remained our TODO:
-check High pass filter
-Ext balanced
-currently not working with Beep(Disable it?)
-monitor    OK
-auto int/ext (But just added codes, check my repo)  Confirmed just now.

miyake

Quote from: 1% on August 06, 2012, 03:32:36 PM
It seems like more of a noise floor so they always leave it on. When I had it off the meters were always showing activity and up much higher than normal.  They always use ALC too, at higher volumes for some reason.

hmm, in my 600D's noise floor is (dc filter)
on > off

miyake

Confirmed High pass filter

HPF2 filter out function can not be strongly effected , but working.

I used wave from generator.
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/fa/efu/soft/wg/wg.html
Download:http://www.ne.jp/asahi/fa/efu/soft/wg/down_wg.html
Checked 400Hz

Remained our TODO:
-check High pass filter
-Ext balanced
-monitor    OK

1%

QuoteSo I think it has no problem when remaining this option.

Yea, we should keep it switchable but it will mostly be on unless you need some really quiet sounds.

miyake

scrax, 1% :

I think, It's time to collect volunteer to test/finding the answer for External balanced.
Of course 2.3 is not published yet. So closed test is best in this time.

-2.3 ready
-have 600D
-have balanced mic and XLR to 3.5pin converter.
-have audio experience
-->provide version can't select input. input is "Lint Rbalance1, Lint Rbarance2, ,....." we will check which reg combination is correct.

How do you think? any ideas for testing balance input? or The best thing is we need to wait until 13?

Kromofone

When 2.3 comes out on 13th, I could get to some sound and audio feature testing of the ''ML 600D audio version beta'', if you could provide me with the 600D version of ML then! As I am also a DJ & producer and make high quality stuff (an audiophile, in a matter of speaking), I am very strict, when it comes to sound and quality of it, so it's an advantage for me and possibly Magic Lantern Audio/you.

scrax

Quote from: miyake on August 06, 2012, 07:32:18 PM
scrax, 1% :

I think, It's time to collect volunteer to test/finding the answer for External balanced.
Of course 2.3 is not published yet. So closed test is best in this time.

-2.3 ready
-have 600D
-have balanced mic and XLR to 3.5pin converter.
-have audio experience
-->provide version can't select input. input is "Lint Rbalance1, Lint Rbarance2, ,....." we will check which reg combination is correct.

How do you think? any ideas for testing balance input? or The best thing is we need to wait until 13?

I'm thinking that a balanced in-600D only autoexec.bin will be ok, so only 600D user with already the 2.3 zip can test it.
But waiting other opinions from the team

right now I'm looking into digital gain to find out why it's changing strange...

Remained our TODO:
-check High pass filter
-Ext balanced
-monitor    OK
-digital gain fluctuations (checking now)

1%

The beeps still give me error 70 but after I press half-shutter the camera comes back. I've never experienced this before. I'd say throw em in the debug... there is space there now.

Before we test we should implement more stuff unless you want to do it concurrently so they're testing the old stuff too.

Quotebalanced mics

Does balance even work the same way? I think we're just switching the polarity of the mics. "Balanced" audio is a joke anyway without a real interface/preamp. Iif you're doing long runs you should be using better gear than 1 long XLR to stereo.

Long runs increase resistance and cause signal loss regardless if you invert the phase of an empty channel to try to cancel out cable noise.

a1ex

The beeps should be OK with 34bff9544599 or newer. The long beep attempts to allocate 1 MB of RAM or so, and the default error handler for AllocateMemory was ERR70. That changeset replaces it with custom error handling code from ML (and in the case of test tones, it will just allocate RAM for a smaller beep).

1%

I'm using exmem + allocate memory and its not so much the beeps proper as it is the play tone. Its probably related to something I did as I didn't have the problem in g3gg0's longer recording autoexec.

From some testing:

1. Volumes are overwritten as soon as recording starts with  external mic.
2. External mic needs gain+boost up way higher and still seems too quiet. Should be 2 settings?
3. Record button may be setting AGC/ALC and changing what we set up.

* Headphones working at startup now.

scrax

dgain is not working like i'm expecting evenafter some test and mods, i'll push the code for you to check it.
i feel too that canon is making something to our settings because i can't keep analog an digital volume settings when switching on and off audio override.

1%

FF04E1EC: 'mvrChangeAckCBR : Video - Mode=%d, Type=%d, Rate=%d, GOP=%d' FF04E0FC
FF04E308: 'mvrChangeAckCBR : Sound Off' FF04E23C
FF04E324: 'mvrChangeAckCBR : MOVIE_SOUND_RECORD(%d)' FF04E25C
FF04E350: 'mvrChangeAckCBR : Sound Manual(C=%d,R=%d,B=%d)' FF04E284
FF04E380: 'mvrChangeAckCBR : Sound On(C=%d,R=%d,B=%d)' FF04E2AC
FF04E3AC: 'mvrChangeAckCBR : Sound Auto(C=%d,R=%d,B=%d)' FF04E2D4
FF04E3DC: 'mvrChangeAckCBR : MOVIE_REC_VOLUME(L:%d R:%d)' FF04E2EC
FF04E678: 'mvrChangeAckCBR : WindCut Off' FF04E418
FF04E698: 'mvrChangeAckCBR : WindCut On' FF04E434
FF04E6B8: 'mvrChangeAckCBR : PROP_WIND_CUT(%d)'

FF057A60: '[SND] _SoundDeviceTask:%1X'

We should see what some of this stuff does... I think sound dev task might be setting the digital gains, it didn't have audio_ic_writes but changed some other things with parameters.

miyake

@scrax
You already understood codes. So you do not use your fork. Use my repo directory.
Added you to my repo.
Then, we never revert codes.(hg will advice reverted or not when we push codes)

miyake

Now I just added framework for re-override when beep finished in 600D audio.
past problem
-disable overridden audio after finishing beep

(still regdump diff is including source codes.)

test it please.