600D Audio Controls?

Started by testaevisual, June 17, 2012, 06:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miyake

I see. clean-est audio is better for almost users. I understand it.

Anyway, what is L int R bal?
what is difference of "ext R" and "ext Balanced" ??

miyake

Just cleanup all old registers in ki.[ch]
I have no camera now, So I'm not tested yet.

Michael Zöller

See "Input Source" in the manual. Balanced requires a special adapter cable but enables us to remove unwanted interferences occuring with long cable runs.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

miyake

I already translated user guide to Japanese.
But only that part is not understanding.
I'm not professional video shooter and photographer , So I can't understand it .

I know balance cable and balanced-microphone.  So if we want to connect unbalance such as stereo pin plugs, We need to convert balance-unbalance converter.

So this function don't need to balance-unbalance converter. Is this a correct understanding?
We need to just only convert a connector.
right?

Michael Zöller

I have not used the feature with my 5d yet, so take this with a grain of salt. Balanced means that even for a mono signal you use three instead of two strands inside the cable.

One strand for ground. The actual signal is sent through two strands but will be inverted in one of them. If an external signal interferes (for example a cellphone next to the cable), the interference can be removed because on the other end (the balanced IN, for example the camera) the inverted signal gets inverted once more the two signals are then subtracted from each other, resulting in the final signal having twice the amplitude and all external interference removed. See this picture:

http://www.delamar.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/symmetrisch_vs_unsymmetrisch.jpg

I don't know how it is done internally in ML, whether the chip does the inverting and summing or it is done in software. But it sure is a great feature for people using long cables.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

miyake

LR balance volume control implemented/

https://bitbucket.org/miyake_t/magic-lantern-for-600d-miyake/changeset/38172b06408c0d3b971cf6d95c3eb04f9ed26b24

@Michael
Thank you for explainning!!
I'm now coding. I will read your post after finish this coding. :)

@scrax
I'm added ifdef for recently added codes. YOU DONT DLETE IFDEFS.
Those are really easy codes. So keep ifdefs for porting audio.c.

1%

Props! How did you get them to cough it up. Now I get to see how wrong/right I was.  8)

I see why there are 2 registers, one is for reading, on is for writing.

If we leave audio off in canon but use canon functions to keep up file writing, etc we can probably manually control the whole thing without canon interference. What do you think, too much work?

Balanced is not really all that... I got the same performance by recording "stereo" and inverting the "silient" channel on a different camera. Just use an XLR interface like the juiicedlink, beachtek, etc.

*Was right there was a Rec/Playback mode but also there is a monitor mode... I'm rushing to try that.... Today is my only day off till sunday and I find all this cool new stuff.  I don't know if I should :) or :(

a1ex

Slightly offtopic: I also have some 600D audio code for you to try:
http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changeset/47a4d87bb535

It should add a menu from which you can select test tones (sine, square, random noise, stuff like that).

miyake

@1%
Quote from: 1% on July 31, 2012, 04:36:01 PM
Props! How did you get them to cough it up. Now I get to see how wrong/right I was.  8)
I see why there are 2 registers, one is for reading, on is for writing.

I'm generated Hook entry by sed/awk around already known register.
functions are also generated, then the function will be display "hooked regaddr="

Finally, I'm push any switches on cameras ;) ;) ;)

If we leave audio off in canon but use canon functions to keep up file writing, etc we can probably manually control the whole thing without canon interference. What do you think, too much work?
I already thinking this issue.
My guess is:
stop recording -> canon firm will write powersave config to ic
                             |->current code overwrite audio value
Cannon firm has confirm the value was wrote or not.
so we had Dead lock or crash

So I think I need to watch  RECPLAY_STATE  to 00. Then write our override config.
I want to confirm all functions working first. I think it's not biggest problem. I guess I can solve it.

Balanced is not really all that... I got the same performance by recording "stereo" and inverting the "silient" channel on a different camera. Just use an XLR interface like the juiicedlink, beachtek, etc.

*Was right there was a Rec/Playback mode but also there is a monitor mode... I'm rushing to try that.... Today is my only day off till sunday and I find all this cool new stuff.  I don't know if I should :) or :(

I never use audio moniter from 600D. Because I had a JuicedLInk ;D
Need to more research for monitor.

Anyway, I will try to make a all of functions like other models.

@@@@alex
Thankyou !
I guess   scrax will add it. :D :D :D :D
help me to add that code scrax.

miyake

fifth finger ache.(emacs sick)

miyake

Just added filter logics. But something wrong.

https://bitbucket.org/miyake_t/magic-lantern-for-600d-miyake/changeset/4603194a0165fee7dcc6aac23b6c6e7a754967dd

Giving up today.

Need to take a bath, because wife got angry. :D :D :D
Good night!

ADDED1:
L and R digital volume had a -8 to 8(multiplex of 0.35 dB) . 0 is not balance controlled.
Currentry %d is not indicate minus mark. and font is red.
Does someone know this reason?
My brain is over heated today.

1%

I updated the registers for read/write... Does audio remote shot enable audio... because I get meters if I use it with audio disabled... hence I think we can record with audio disabled if tell the MVR to write the data and then just control IC manually to do what we want. Then nothing will set gain or f with our settings. You can't set rec/play to 00 because then then I think the IC will not work correctly.

QuoteI never use audio moniter from 600D. Because I had a JuicedLInk ;D
Need to more research for monitor.

Mine doesn't have an output so I can only put 2 XLR in and then an aux in. You need the A/V cable that came in the box and an RCA to headphone plug adapter.

QuoteAnyway, I will try to make a all of functions like other models.

Why? We have so many other functions we can implement. I don't think the other IC has as many features but I didn't really go into the AK data sheet. We can make a full EQ among other things. Adjust the noise floor and highpass too, etc.

QuoteDoes someone know this reason?

Does masked_audio_ic_write work correctly? I never used it. Did you use it before today?

klangdrang

Hey guys,
thanks for the great work you are doing. Monitoring the sound from 600d is the last option which leads to the perfect cam.
I have one question: I read this topic and all pages and I saw that you gays made a big step forward. But I cant get if you have already a stable monitoring solution. I saw some videos with the audio-menu enabled in the 600d, so is it also possible for me to enable it? What do I have to do? I don't need the other Audio stuff right now (although it would be great to have it later), but monitoring sound would be great right now, because i am starting filming in two weeks.
Where can I donat?  :)

1%

You have to look at miyake's code base, scrax's and mine and combine into one thing. I'm going to do that. I tried just enabling monitor mode after dac and amp but it didn't work... I'll have to set all the registers correctly in one shot and then it will probably work... I just need time to read the whole data sheet and make more informed attempts.

klangdrang

Thanks for the quick answer.
Unfortunately I do not have the skills to combine the code or to convert the code to a finished firmware.
I don't wanted to stress you, of course you are doing this stuff in your free time and it needs time...
So good luck!

1%

No worries, just donate to ML fund, we'll have this working as soon as possible. We want to use it just as much as you do.

johndb

I agree with 1% in that we should not "dumb down" the audio functions to match the capabilities of the previous camera models. The current 600D audio function set would provide a basis for next-gen camera audio functions with modern audio processors. I have been following this thread closely and am very impressed with the work that you're doing. Thank you!!
600D ML | 450D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, Speedlite 580EX II, Azden SMX-10 Microphone; Sony Vegas HD Platinum, DxO Optics Pro, DxO Filmpack, Oloneo HDR Photoengine

scrax

I'm back now at home, and will go on on merging last changes fro miyake, a1ex and 1%.
for first I think we could match the option on other model, but if we can have more option, better.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

a1ex

If you can get separate analog gain for left and right channels, go for it ;)

Digital postprocessing is less important IMO.

funkysound

Quote from: johndb on July 31, 2012, 07:57:37 PM
I agree with 1% in that we should not "dumb down" the audio functions to match the capabilities of the previous camera models. The current 600D audio function set would provide a basis for next-gen camera audio functions with modern audio processors. I have been following this thread closely and am very impressed with the work that you're doing. Thank you!!
I just love to read this thread too and realize how hard you all work on this matter... it´s a kind of thriller for people like me, desperately waiting for audio control ... thanks!
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

scrax

merged back 600D code to audio.c,
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

1%

Monitor is working at full volume now.... only tested internal mic.

miyake

1%:
I'm ported masked_audio_ic_write from linux. I found perfectly same functions.
But not tested yet.

hmm, English is difficult.
"audio monitering ON/OFF" and "Output volume" and another ML default  menu item and related func() is not implemented.
I think that we need to implement those menu and func() first.
Next step, we will make a smart/clean patch to main repo. Because ,  A lot of end users can't get it when we porting to audio.c and main repo.

Reason:
- implement many functions need a lot of time.
- many functions implemented = difference is bigger from main repo  ==> porting is more difficult

I'm really scary for porting to audio.c. I think most hardest part is porting audioki.c to audio.c patch.
We need smart ifdef usage and less ifNdef is much better for reading the codes.

@scrax
Thankyou,

miyake

Quote from: 1% on July 31, 2012, 11:17:02 PM
Monitor is working at full volume now.... only tested internal mic.

Oh!! just found it.

What plan do you have to make a porting code?
Current code is not perfectly compatible another cameras.

Then I think we need clean/straight hand patch is better for making a most clean/smart patch, I think.

How do you think?

scrax

I've made a lot of merging lately, now most of 1% code is in my fork with miyake's also.
I've added more value in audio.h and also the read registers like 1% did for audio6.h.
take a look,menu is a bit messy right now...