Most suitable card for Canon 600d/t3i RAW capabilites?

Started by Viva Love, February 05, 2014, 08:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viva Love

Hey friends. I am a relatively new ML user so I would appreciate some advice. I have, prior to this thread, scanned the internet thoroughly for some information but I can't find anything definitive.

I am under the impression that the "KOMPUTERBAY 64GB COMPACT FLASH CARD CF - 1000x 150mb/s" card would be more than adequate to record a reasonable amount of RAW footage on the 5d's without any frame-dropping issues. What kinda of alternative could I use that would provide similar results card wise for the 600d? Also - any idea what kind of settings I could achieve with this combo E.G Bit rate, clip length etc.

Apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere, as I said I have looked through these forums prior to this.

Thank you very much!

Link to the card:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KOMPUTERBAY-COMPACT-FLASH-professional-Extreme/dp/B009JCL55Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

PS: I am currently running ML off of a previous SDHD / class 10 / integral ultima PRO / 32gb with up 45mb/s. Worried this will not be a powerful enough card for much access into the RAW potential. Cheers.

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Viva Love

Haha well that's embarrassing... No wonder It was only suggested for the 5d's  ::) Which card would you recommend, alternatively?

Andy600

No worries :)

Try benchmarking your current card. It' probably fast enough already. You will have limited frame sizes available because of the SD buffer bottleneck (it's hardware I'm afraid).
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

tupp

Yes, the 600D/T3i takes SD cards -- not compact flash.

It looks like the fastest Komputerbay SD cards on Amazon are 600x.

Sandisk Extreme Pro cards work well, but they are expensive.  I have been using a 64GB PNY Elite Performance card with my T3i, not for raw, but for 2.5x boosted bit rate with all I-frames, and it works on all but the most complex subjects.

Viva Love

Thank you for the swift replies, both of you. I think it may be a good bet myself to settle for H.264 with boosted bit-rate, at least for now!

tupp

It might be worth it to also try all I-frames (GOP 1) or at least 1 I-frame out of every three frames (GOP 3).  Here is a thread that discusses ideal settings for the original TL1 and TL2.  Here is a related article.

I believe that the latest TL builds allow bit rate boosting and GOP adjustment while lacking slice and d-block control.  I am still using TL1 for the extra control, but I will soon try a more recent TL build.

Viva Love

Thank you tupp.

Looking to purchase this card as you suggested. However the low price is putting me off and also lack of any customer reviews... I am aware there is an issue occasionally with fake cards. Any thoughts?

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/23919910/809836643/-/ListingDetails.html?_%24ja=tsid:13315|cat:23919910|prd:23919910&$$ja=cgid:7111954857|tsid:48121|cid:130773177|lid:54121492737|nw:g|crid:22715960097|rnd:9760878112120837131|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:

Play.com is a renowned and highly respected store. Mind you, it is from an external seller...

Thanks, James.

Walter Schulz

1.: Price is a bit high ...
2.: Customer reviews would not help preventing to purchase a fake card. Benchmark the card using a fast USB 3.0 cardreader and send fakes back.
3.: 600D is bottlenecked by a rather slow memory controller chip. About 21 MByte/s ... end of the line. A faster card will not help here.

tupp

Quote from: Viva Love on February 05, 2014, 10:44:41 PMLooking to purchase this card as you suggested. However the low price is putting me off and also lack of any customer reviews... I am aware there is an issue occasionally with fake cards. Any thoughts?

Not sure to which card (of the ones I mentioned) you refer, but more reviews on the Sandisk card can be found here.

tupp

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 05, 2014, 11:07:49 PM
3.: 600D is bottlenecked by a rather slow memory controller chip. About 21 MByte/s ... end of the line. A faster card will not help here.

Yes, but people should keep in mind that card ratings are often outrageously wrong. My PNY Elite Performance card is rated at 90MB/s, yet, on the camera, it is consistently slower than my Sandisk Extreme Pro rated at 80MB/s.  The card with the higher rating is definitely limiting the recording speed of the camera.