Upgraded to Canon 5D Mark III....kind of disappointed

Started by Octavio79, February 04, 2014, 07:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavio79

So I found a Canon 5D Mark III after my Mark II died on me last week. The price was so cheap I just had to buy it. I found it for 2,399.00 at Calumet photography in Chicago. I haven't really messed with it that much yet, but the few times I did use it I am not really impressed. I tried filming inside my apartment and I noticed the footage is very noisy and kind of crappy to be rather blunt. I compared it to my Blackmagic pocket on Pro Res and it looked like garbage. Is there a chance I bought a bad camera? Or am I just being very picky? I don't remember my Mark II being this noisy. I am going to do some tests and post the footage soon so maybe I can get some feed back from everyone. I won't put Magic Lantern on it since it's used. I want to use it as it is for a bit and then once I'm confident it's fine I will try ML.

3pointedit

Running ML on it won't affect the camera in any way. If you want to revert to original you just swap the card out.

The quality should be a lot better in low light, however the camera is probably in auto everything in video mode. That's why Magic Lantern is so useful, you actually know what the camera is doing with ISO and exposure.
550D on ML-roids

chmee

octavio, feelin' sorry for you, that you dont had a wow-effect. but saying clearly, the mkIII-sensor is not much away from the markII-sensor - under photographic aspects this body is a completely another level.

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

PressureFM

Post an example of the same scene using the 5D Mark III and your BMPCC please :)

Marsu42

Quote from: Octavio79 on February 04, 2014, 07:56:29 AMIs there a chance I bought a bad camera? Or am I just being very picky?

The 5d3 is an improvement over the 5d2 in every way - except for the sensor. The newer sensor has a little more mp, less banding after raising shadows (which is important), but a little less sharpness @low iso. The 5d3 is optimized for high iso action shooting or moiré-less video - if you don't do that, there's still time to return it...

Octavio79

Okay so I have been messing around with the Mark III and after using After Effects and some sharpening and color grading I take back what I last said about this camera. It is pretty damn good. Now it's time to try ML on it and see what my results are.