Time lapse

Started by wolf, June 16, 2012, 11:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf

Hi does anybody know?
Is it possible to change photographic values during a low fps rate shot in movie mode. If it would be possible to change ISO after a "short" period of time for example, we could abandon a ND-Filter in more situation, also the long exposure effect is beautiful imho?

Great new site, Thanks :-)

Francis

I don't see why you should have any problem changing any exposure value other than shutter speed while recording in FPS override mode. However on my 550d, there is a good amount of lag when trying to change settings so I try to avoid doing so.

a1ex

I didn't really test this, but I think you can use auto ISO with FPS override mode (sort of a poor man's bulb ramping :) ).

f0m3

I have a problem on my 500d. When i choose 4fps a low iso and large aperture, i can choose any shutter speed the picture on the display is extremely overexposed. Is that a bug or am i just not intelligent enough? :-)
i use a 500d 18-55mm and 75-300 mm photo/video

Datadogie

The way round this is to get a ND filter.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

f0m3

Okay, am i understanding right: It is not possible to make a 4fps movie with short exposure times? I dont understand that because i can choose exposure time with exposure override? %-) Whats the use of exposure override then? Do i really have to use a nd filter?
i chose a very fast exposure but the pictures are overexposed and movement is (how do you call that in english?) "blurry".

Francis

To maintain the very low FPS, the camera is forced into using a shutter equivalent to 1/frame rate. It is indeed a major limitation but with the use of a ND filter, the expanded low ISO values, and a small aperture you can overcome it.

Exposure override enables an expanded range of values for shutter speed and aperture. Most notable, 1/8-stop increments in aperture as opposed to 1/3-stop on supported lenses and very fast shutter speeds like 1/8000s.

f0m3

OKay. i understand. I think this would be a good hint for the menu-thread. There should only be exposure-values that are possible with the chosen framerate!

Thank you for answering my question in detail :-)

sutobe

Quote from: a1ex on June 25, 2012, 10:41:53 AM
I didn't really test this, but I think you can use auto ISO with FPS override mode (sort of a poor man's bulb ramping :) ).

I tried this yesterday....it is possible, needs a little fine tweaking though (and maybe mentioned in the next releases manual).

-make sure the picture is properly exposed before starting with the settings. (so it is well exposed with ISO 100 or near)

-I set Movie Exposure to Manual (Canon Menu).

ML Movie Menu:

-FPS override on (value depends on how exposed you want your movie to be and how fast it should play)

-Shutter Lock ON

ML EXPO Menu:

-Shutter Speed in dark areas near 350°, gets a little bit brighter when you close it near 306°

-Exp. Override (AUTO OFF) <---first its AUTO ON.....turns off after next step

-go to ISO and press arrow until you reach value 0----sets Exp Override AUTO OFF

Now you can record in FPS override with Auto ISO, try it out as I did maybe, I filmed beneath my desk and the pic got brighter to a good exposure.....filmed out of the window the camera exposed the day-scene good as well.

But theres a problem (which can be solved). When you start filming like this the ISO value you can see on the screen is only "0"....all the time.

workaround to get ML to show you the actual ISO value is while recording press ISO button, change it to some value and then back to AUTO.

Now ML shows the current ISO value.

the minimum and maximum ISO value can be set up in the ML and Canon Menu.

I dont film alot (or at all) but I think this could help people out who dont want to shoot in intervalometer mode (count me in)

A feedback if its working for you would be nice

Note: I think this is good when the scene is getting darker (sunset) and brighter after a while (i.e. sunrise).

Not sure if this workaround is usefull for any ND-filter like effects during daytime. I dont own an ND filter yet so I cant test.

And to for the other values like shutter and aperture.....yes it can be changed during FPS override filming but you'll have a massive lag depending on how low youre recording.
Canon EOS 550D / Canon EF-S 10-22mm 1:3,5-4,5 USM / Canon EF-S 18-55 mm 3.5-5.6 IS / Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4,0-5,6 IS II / Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II / Canon Speedlite 430EX II

sutobe

Now running ML 2.3 RC3 (works good so far) and noticed there were some changes with Auto ISO and Exposure Override.

see here, entry 2,3 and 4

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changesets/tip/keyword%28%27auto%27%29%20and%20keyword%28%27iso%27%29

the poor people bulb ramping still works in FPS override, you just can't turn on Exposure Override.

I don't film much so I can't say anything reliable about the consequenzes when you cannot turn on Exp Ovr, and because the weather over here is just drist grey sky atm and theres nothing else to film, I can't test anything right now -.-
Canon EOS 550D / Canon EF-S 10-22mm 1:3,5-4,5 USM / Canon EF-S 18-55 mm 3.5-5.6 IS / Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4,0-5,6 IS II / Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II / Canon Speedlite 430EX II

a1ex

You should be always able to turn on exposure override - when it's not possible to turn it on?

Auto ISO limits were disabled because they were interferring with manual ISO.

sutobe

oh , I mean't "you mustn't".

sorry for the confusion, mixed it up, english isnt my first language

a1ex

Auto ISO never worked with Exposure Override, so I don't understand the issue.

sutobe

I had to correct my workaround post (which was pre-RC1) when the 2.3 RC were released

-->you had to set Exp Override on AUTO to get Auto ISO working in FPS override movie mode

-->after you set ISO to Auto, "Exp Override Auto ON" set itself back to "Auto OFF"

-->now with the 2.3 RC you just turn Auto ISO on and thats it