Does Magic Lantern Remove Video Recording Time Limit?

Started by bluehabit, February 03, 2014, 03:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluehabit

As the topic states, does installing Magic Lantern remove the video recording time limit on DLSR cameras? I have been researching entry level cameras, and was considering the the Canon rebel t5i, but the arbitrary 29 minute video time limit on most DLSR cameras ,due to regulatory reasons, would be a bit inconvenient for me.

I know in the past Magic Lantern had a feature called "movie restart" that essentially does this; however, there is a 1sec gap between footage. I am hoping there is now a feature that removes the video time limit completely.

Thanks for your help and feedback.

1%

No, its too many things to patch. You're welcome to run your own test and try to "fix" the limit.

bluehabit

Quote from: 1% on February 03, 2014, 05:51:04 PM
No, its too many things to patch. You're welcome to run your own test and try to "fix" the limit.

Thanks for the reply. In regards to running your own test to try and fix the limit, what would that involve, programming? Probably out of my scope to be able to do something like that.

Thanks again

PA Shutterbug

I'm using the T5i, recording video, editing in Final Cut Pro 5, 6, & 7.  While recording, when I'm approaching the 29:59 limit, I wait for a break in the action, stop the recording, then immediately start it again.  So far I've been successful in splicing the files together using a transition to smooth out what looks like a jump cut.  It sure doesn't work with any action shots with rapid movements but I can usually find some B roll to cover the jump cut.

HTH.