[WONTFIX] 5DMK3's 3fps max. restriction with Canon 15mm f2.8 fisheye in AI-Servo

Started by schlingsi, February 02, 2014, 11:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schlingsi

Hey guys,

on the 5D3 with Canon's 15mm fisheye in photo mode, for some reason Canon has decided to restrict the possible FPS to 3fps when in AI-Servo.

I know the lens is not the fastest, but I've been using it for surf photography in AI-Servo with my 1D's just fine. Sure not every shot is in focus but hey, it should be our choice whether we want to risk it or not.

5D3 will allow 6fps when the 15mm is set to manual focus.

5D3 will slow camera down to 3fps with 15mm Fisheye, auto focus, Ai-Servo.

Thanks guys. yew

dmilligan

Quote from: schlingsi on February 02, 2014, 11:54:09 PM
for some reason Canon has decided to restrict the possible FPS to 3fps when in AI-Servo.

Sounds more like a limitation not a delibrate restriction. I would completely expect the 1D's autofocus to be faster than the 5D3's. AI-Servo is predictive, so I think it's just that the 1D is just faster at making all the computations necessary to do the predictive autofocus. In fact, it makes perfect since for the 5D3 to be twice as slow, the 1D has two processors, so theoretically should be able to do the computations twice as fast. Canon had to have put two DIGICs in there for something.

http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/CanonAIServo.html

chris_overseas

Try setting the AF to "release priority" rather than "focus priority" for both 1st and subsequent images, as described on page 40: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/education/technical/inside_canon_eos_5d_mark_iii/AF_guide_EOS5D_MarkIII_eng_January2013.pdf

Personally I prefer focus priority since in almost all cases I don't see much point in taking a lot of photos that are OOF.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

schlingsi

Quote from: dmilligan on February 04, 2014, 05:48:11 PM
Sounds more like a limitation not a delibrate restriction. I would completely expect the 1D's autofocus to be faster than the 5D3's. AI-Servo is predictive, so I think it's just that the 1D is just faster at making all the computations necessary to do the predictive autofocus. In fact, it makes perfect since for the 5D3 to be twice as slow, the 1D has two processors, so theoretically should be able to do the computations twice as fast. Canon had to have put two DIGICs in there for something.

http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/CanonAIServo.html

I'm 100% sure that this is a deliberate software restriction as the 15mm fisheye seems to be the only lens where the camera doesn't all its full 6fps.

I have tested some of the oldest and crappiest lenses canon has ever built and they were all fine. 6fps in AI-servo. Even the plastic fantastic 50mm 1.8 with the most terrible AF shoots at full speed.

schlingsi

Quote from: chris_overseas on February 04, 2014, 06:02:21 PM
Try setting the AF to "release priority" rather than "focus priority" for both 1st and subsequent images, as described on page 40: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/education/technical/inside_canon_eos_5d_mark_iii/AF_guide_EOS5D_MarkIII_eng_January2013.pdf

Personally I prefer focus priority since in almost all cases I don't see much point in taking a lot of photos that are OOF.

Didn't do the trick.

dmilligan

schlingsi

Quote from: dmilligan on February 10, 2014, 12:42:41 AM
Wow, you are 100% sure and you've never seen Canon's code...

So for some reason the ONE & ONLY lens that needs 2 processors for 6fps in Ai-Servo is the 15mm Fisheye... right.

I thank you.

dmilligan

So obviously that means that Canon hates owners of that one specific lens and have explicitly and purposefully crippled AF for it and only it... yeah that makes way more sense

schlingsi

Quote from: dmilligan on February 10, 2014, 02:34:18 AM
So obviously that means that Canon hates owners of that one specific lens and have explicitly and purposefully crippled AF for it and only it... yeah that makes way more sense

OR, they are being just overly careful... because if they weren't, the Canon firmware would allow all sorts of things and ML would be obsolete.

I can see though why you would imply that I think Canon hates certain customers as this is the vibe / energy I'm getting from your replies. Don't project...

And unless you have seen all of Canon's code and know exactly what is going on, which you haven't said yet.. so far it's all speculations and assumptions, maybe let someone reply here who has the knowledge and is willing to look at this objectively.

a1ex