[WONTFIX] TIFF 16 Bit From CMOS 14bit Sensor B&W data

Started by modator, February 02, 2014, 03:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modator

Hello everybody,
I'm new to this form, but I'm searching information and possibility to implement this unique feature:

Supposing I have a canon DSLR compatible with Magic Lantern,  the CMOS is modified with the REMOVAL OF BAYER CFA mask !!
there would be very usefull instead of using external programs to generate a B&W TIFF 16 bit image from the raw data of the sensor without
any color interpolation (without bayer filter array every pixel sees black and white) this feature is interesting also for unmodified cameras..

Now there are many enthusiasts of CFA Bayer scraping / stripping that have done the modification to obtain a monochrome camera, specifically for astro photography or infra red photography i think this feature would help !

let me know Your opinion, best regards,  Domenico.

chmee

You just need a "simple" Converter, rewriting the tif-header, saying its not a bayer-field but a blackwhite-picture. not that complicated.

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

ItsMeLenny

Get your hands on a cheap point and shoot camera and try scraping it first.

modator

Well, i know the procedure to extract the b&w TIFF from the raw with dcraw and other astronomic software,  and I allready swiped away the bayer CFA from my eos 600d,  the next step Is the integrati on of this with the firmware, if is possibile to save a TIFF from magic lantern it would be very usefull..

The next is to trasform also the rawdata from the debayered CMOS into a standard jpg....

The question is:  it's possibile to do All this operatiion inside the camera by the aid of a Magic Lantern plugin ??

Best regards, Domenico.

dmilligan

Yes it's possible, probably nobody is going to do it for you though (none of us have debayered sensors). Look in raw.c and chdk-dng.c there is a method to dump the QR raw data to a dng. If you simply change the right DNG headers, it should be possible to end up with dng's that are automatically interpreted as monochrome (I think). The problem with this is that you'd fill your card up a lot faster as the dng's wouldn't be compressed like the CR2s are, also you are going to have to wait extra time for the dump (probably 3 or 4 seconds).

Personally, I think the best solution is to simply convert the images in post. dcraw is pretty dang easy to script. You could make a simple shell script that dumps your camera card and automatically runs all images through dcraw -E. How could it get easier than that?

(Also, I envy your mod, and I am thinking about getting that done to my 1100D :) )