Magic zoom badly pixelated.

Started by AsherVast, January 28, 2014, 05:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsherVast

Not sure which version I was previously using but has anyone else noticed how terrible the magic zoom is? In the past, I've shot with magic lantern and it worked great. I could zoom in at 10X and see things like I was looking through a telescope, pull focus to an exact point on a far building and with great detail too! I wasn't recording of course, but it's really useful to have a clear zoom. Now, on the 5DMK3, with raw enabled, the zoom quality is terrible. It's Very pixelated where you can't quite see exactly when you hit the focus mark. It's virtually unusable. I have to turn off the camera, eject the card, reboot the camera with the default firmware, pull focus with the canon internal zoom, which looks good and then once again, turn off the camera, reinsert the card and then I can know that I'm in focus. Unless I don't have a tripod. Then I'm screwed. Help.

SteveScout

I think you are referring to the "ML greyscale" mode, right? Force ML to use the canon mode always when in zoom mode, but then framing won´t be accurate. Very off indeed. But it works great for focusing again.

AsherVast

How do you force ML to use the canon Zoom?