Cropped area showing in histo/ettr calculations?

Started by stevefal, January 17, 2014, 01:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevefal

When shooting a scene with a hairlight just outside my 1920x872 frame, ETTR was showing OVER unless I tilted down so the light was not hitting the sensor at all. Likewise the histogram showed a bunch of highlights that were not in the recorded image.

It seems like the overlay math is considering data that's not part of the recorded image. This an issue as the hints are potentially worthless depending on the shot.

Am I missing something, or is this fixable?
Steve Falcon

a1ex

stevefal

Is it the entire screen or entire sensor? How about zoom mode?

Is there any hope of considering only what's inside the recorded frame? Couldn't that also improve performance?
Steve Falcon

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: stevefal on January 17, 2014, 07:26:22 AM
Is it the entire screen or entire sensor? How about zoom mode?

Is there any hope of considering only what's inside the recorded frame? Couldn't that also improve performance?

I have a similar problem where ETTR is not possible to use with Fisheye lens.  It would be nice to offer a crop factor to ETTR for such circumstances.  I have requested this but I am unable to program such complexity.

Here is my Feature request... http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8806.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

stevefal

This issue is more serious for two reasons:

1) In video mode, not only does the histogram and ETTR hint see outside the recorded frame, it sees outside what is visible in LV. That is, the black bars that are above and below the visible 16:9 LV area are being seen. So a highlight totally outside what you can possibly see still affects the measurements.

2) When using an external monitor, certain large portions of the frame are invisible to the histogram and ETTR measurements. For example, with my SmallHD DP6, the left approx 20% is invisible to the measurements. I can have a massive blown area there and the hints show nothing.
Steve Falcon

a1ex

2) smells like the lv2raw matrix is wrong on HDMI. I think we've located the bug 5 minutes ago while trying to enable raw overlays on 1100D.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/c12841b57ca05305be28bb05465779cb8582200c

(confirmed raw zebras aligned properly on HDMI)

stevefal

That's great. Do you think this will fix rawrec/mlvrec cropmark position on HDMI too? If so I can give up my ancient custom build and get with the latest.
Steve Falcon

a1ex

stevefal

Zebras align properly on HDMI now, but the histo/ETTR issue is still there.

Rawrec cropmarks are still not aligned properly via HDMI either.

[EDIT] Actually I'm not sure what I'm seeing with RAW zebras turned on. Things appear to align properly, but I get huge areas of hatched highlighting where exposure is ok.
Steve Falcon