7D Dual processors

Started by misterjermalee, January 30, 2014, 07:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

misterjermalee

hey everyone,
i'm new here. but i was wondering if it were possible to utilize the 7D's dual processors as an advantage to video. i speculate that during high speed stills capture, the processors ping-pong between each other so that it doesn't run out of buffering. i'm wondering if the same could be done in video--frame-by-frame. that way, you would be able to divy up the processing power making it more efficient. if this is possible, let magic lantern know!
"Shoot. Hang. Frame." -Me

PressureFM

Quote from: misterjermalee on January 30, 2014, 07:13:52 AM
hey everyone,
i'm new here. but i was wondering if it were possible to utilize the 7D's dual processors as an advantage to video. i speculate that during high speed stills capture, the processors ping-pong between each other so that it doesn't run out of buffering. i'm wondering if the same could be done in video--frame-by-frame. that way, you would be able to divy up the processing power making it more efficient. if this is possible, let magic lantern know!

The short answer is: no.

The long answer can be found by reading the development for Magic Lantern on the Canon 7D.  The processors exist in a slave / host configuration and the developers only have access to the slave processor for the time being.

1%

There is some access to both but overall the dual digic more a PITA than anything. The HDMI output is worse than on 6D with a single proc.