Must See Short! Shot entirely on 5DMK II ML RAW

Started by swordinhand, January 30, 2014, 02:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swordinhand

Hey everyone!

First off, thanks Magic Lantern Team for making the 5DMKII a brand new camera for me.  When I got wind of the RAW module I had to see what it was all about.  Needless to say, it has blown my mind.  Aside from the file sizes and more complex workflow, there really is no reason to not shoot with ML RAW.  It looks amazing and your FW is really quite stable.  THANK YOU!

Some info: I shot this short entirely on my 5DMK II with ML RAW (using Leica R primes and Lexar 1000x CF cards).  It was edited in Premiere CC and graded in Resolve 10 on a MacBook Pro Retina (late 2013).  WARNING: the first 5 minutes are intentionally silent, but leave your speakers on... you'll see.

Love to see what people think!

acid2006

Great! The story and the music are amazing... and I like your color grading!
I want to see more from you, swordinhand.... :)

swordinhand

Thank you acid2006!  Your comment made my day.  There will definitely be more stuff in the future.

Flame2bits

Thats a straight up Ryan Gosling clone man! Super film!

swordinhand

Thanks Flame2bits!  I had him made, fresh from the cloner, before production.  Saved me a million.

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

rduquematos

I loved it, but you have a dead pixel at minute 18

BE

5D Mk II, EOS M - 16/2.8, 22/2.0, 50/1.4, 90/2.8, 400/5.6

swordinhand

Thank you for all of your compliments!

Quote from: rduquematos on February 07, 2014, 07:49:52 AM

I'm not sure I see any dead pixels in this scene and I'm watching uncompressed, here.  Might be a youtube and/or compression artifact.  I am, however, aware of a few dead pixels in other scenes (namely, the night scenes).  It seems that when you push the camera over around 640 or 1250 ISO they jump out.  The scene you are referring to was shot at 320 or less, because of available light.

Any tips/tricks how to remove dead pixels in post, etc.?

Another thing I've noticed, and was wondering if it affected the MKIII, was on certain high ISOs blown highlights get a horrible pink cast.  I had to manually correct for this in certain shots, which was an absolute pain.  I did discover, through some testing, that at 2500 ISO and 5000 ISO it goes away.  Which is odd.  It doesn't seem to crop up at ISOs under 640.  I'll have to do more testing, though.

Anybody else experience this problem?

QuickHitRecord

I really enjoyed this. You did a really good job. In what area was this shot? The scenery is beautiful.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

coolerinc

I saw this too and thought that how did you manage to remove all dead pixels in the scene?! it's a huge work!
Anyway nice done! Congratulations! ^_^

swordinhand

Quote from: QuickHitRecord on February 10, 2014, 10:15:03 PM
I really enjoyed this. You did a really good job. In what area was this shot? The scenery is beautiful.

Thank you!  It was filmed primarily in and around Ojai, CA.  I say it's the winter light, mixed with some of the best sunsets I've seen in the valley.  Just good timing and a little magic haha.

Quote from: coolerinc on February 11, 2014, 02:33:52 PM
I saw this too and thought that how did you manage to remove all dead pixels in the scene?! it's a huge work!
Anyway nice done! Congratulations! ^_^

Thank you, but I'm really not seeing this dead pixel at minute 18.  I've checked the masters and it's not there, unless I'm missing it.  There are, as mentioned above, visible dead/hot pixels in the night scenes.