RAW workflow, NDxHD 444 and final video problem

Started by pianogirl, January 28, 2014, 02:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianogirl

Hi!

I'm still learning ML and I found one big problem with final video.
Firstly I will show you shortly my workflow:
1. RAW to DNG's
2. DNG files to Davinci Resolve Lite
3. Then apply Arri Alexa LUT
4. Export as Quicktime 444 NDxHD
5. Open in Sony Vegas and save as WMV

Then I have such a bad quality of the video (part of the screen):

It's made as when we are trying to create bokeh... but it looks like patches of color.
How to create more smooth image with ML?
Why it's like this?
Please help me.

pianogirl

kgv5

i dont use vegas but this  banding looks like you've set 8 bit color space, try to change to 16 or 32 bit.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

pianogirl

Thanks, but where I need to change this color space - in Davinci (when I export) or in Sony Vegas? What is the best final video format (in ML workflow) to upload to the internet (wmv, mp4, or something else?)

kgv5

Quote from: pianogirl on January 28, 2014, 04:38:08 PM
Thanks, but where I need to change this color space - in Davinci (when I export) or in Sony Vegas? What is the best final video format (in ML workflow) to upload to the internet (wmv, mp4, or something else?)

When you are exporting DNxHD444 from resolve it is 10bit so you shouldnt have such a banding. You should somehow set your NLE (vegas in this case) to something higher than 8bit. Sorry, i dont know vegas, i use adobe AE and PP. But I am not totally sure that this is an issue, just guessing....
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Kharak

Quote from: pianogirl on January 28, 2014, 04:38:08 PM

Long time since I used Vegas, but if I remember correctly it´s in 'Project Settings'. In version 9 it was placed somewhere above the Preview screen.

And I think Vegas only has 8 bit or 32 bit floating point, so choose 32 bit.
once you go raw you never go back

pianogirl

I've changed this color space for 32 bits in Vegas, but it still full of artifacts :(
Maybe I should do something special in Davinci? Do you know this program? Should I use LUT presets or not?

Midphase

Don't forget that many monitors can only display in 8-bit, so even changing this setting will not appear visible on the screen (even though it is in actuality).

atarijedi

Quote from: Midphase on January 28, 2014, 06:49:29 PM
Don't forget that many monitors can only display in 8-bit, so even changing this setting will not appear visible on the screen (even though it is in actuality).

I remember reading somewhere that most monitors do support 10bit. But, at least in Windows, unless you have a Quadro video card, or FirePro, you won't get 10bit colour.

allemyr

Hi!

I guess your video is meant to be played in Windows Media Player (WMV). Every new codec you use there is always an issue with maintaining quality at its best. I'am quite shure that its pretty rare with 10 bit monitors. Looked it up kind of fast. Of the over 2000 computer monitors that is for sale rigth now here in Sweden there is a bit over 50 monitors that is 10 bit and over. 10 of them are under a 1000 US dollars. However when you are grading they are really nice but more nice is higher bit depths files that is above 8 you have a lot of info to play with.

If you doesn't continue with the grading after Davinci you might export it as 8 bit Prores or what you prefer from Resolve. It takes time with getting your own workflow right. I have mine right now but i just work with soft looking/ compressed/ low bit depth Canon 600D files. Quite sad but I think the end quality is quite great anyways, guess it's because I don't have any loss after the camera. But then I work with uncompressed all the way and upload huge Quicktime Prores 422 (8 bit) files to Vimeo in 1080p. Getting a 5DII soon though. That's what I can afford and I will have to create another workflow more streamlines aswell.

- Try with a uncompressed 8 bit file from Davinci and use Sony Vegas higher bitrates when you compress it with the WMV codec
- Try exporting a high bitrate WMV file from Davinci Resolve and se how it looks in Windows Media Player.

If it's not for use in/with Windows Media Player there's probably a better codec/format for that.

First post here on this great forum, have been reading miles of threads here for a while :)