Matt, UK

Started by mattH, January 28, 2014, 01:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattH

Hi all

I'm Matt, live in Cambridgeshire, UK.  I have been a photographer for over 30 years, started when I was 16 at school and nearly took it up as a career.  I so with I had!  I now shoot with a 7D as my main workhorse.  Mostly sports, my son's rowing club and abstract/architecture.  We travel to Italy a lot so tons of shooting there.   I first tried digital in 2002 with a whopping 2Mpx Fuji! 

I'm an IT consultant so no stranger to loading firmware and hacking.  I've been aware of ML for some time, always fancied having a go but there hasn't been the 7D support.

Really looking forward to playing with ML.  Not really that interested in video but the dual ISO looks really interesting.  Does ML improve the 7D's low-light performance?  It's the only thing I find the 7D really struggles with especially this time of year.

mattH

Think I found it - so 7D is on Alpha 2 - is that correct?  If so, I'm having it!  Now!   ;D
<edit>
Got it, extracted all the files, then discovered I've left me card reader at home!  So tonight's job is....
</edit>

SDX

Hell mattH, nice to have you here.

You might want to look into the tragic lantern builds, as far as i know, those are the ones where the bleeding-edge development happens. Latest 'stable' one if from the 15th, so rather new.
If you like to stay save and just want to get warm with ML, stick to the official ML builds, such as the alpha 2 you already got.
It will be interesting to see if the sensor enhancement, that just has been discovered on the 5DIII, will be portable to the 7D. The next weeks will show. Otherwise, DualISO already does a great job at enhancing DR and noise.

Feel free to ask whatever you want (in the respective sub-forums), I can't imagine any question to stay unanswered here :P

a1ex

Quote from: SDX on January 28, 2014, 03:20:04 PM
You might want to look into the tragic lantern builds, as far as i know, those are the ones where the bleeding-edge development happens.

Yeah, these are the ones where people take all the good stuff from ML and give nothing back, unfortunately.

SCNR

mattH

Oh, I do hope that sensor tweak appears on the 7D!  I really struggle with dark, miserable days this time of year.  Was photographing a race last weekend and the images are either dark, so loose detail and noisy when you brighten them up or if I used a high ISO, even with NR in-camera, they were still noisy.  The afternoon was nice and bright but not for long. 

I use Neat Image for NR and Lightroom as my main workflow tool.  Looking forward to seeing the difference ML brings.

a1ex

I belive the tweak will work at some point on 7D, but it might be harder to implement because of dual DIGIC.

However, the improvement is in contrasty light at ISO 100, not in dark places where you require higher ISO. You simply can't bypass the photon noise limit, see http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/digital.sensor.performance.summary/

(short answer: expose to the right and use a faster lens)