Gibberish on CF card - ML problem or corrupt card?

Started by Calebmcl, January 27, 2014, 10:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calebmcl

Hi guys. I just recently upgraded to a 5D3 and bought the Komputerbay 128gb 1000x card. Mighta shoulda gone for the Lexar...

I've had two separate incidents with corrupt files. One was when a block of 20 pics from a timelapse went dead (couldn't read or transfer them through the CF reader). The other was when a large bunch of videos disappeared from the card. Both times, there were a ton of gibberish files on the card when I went to dump the media. Has anybody ever seen this before? I'm confident it's a CF card problem (as opposed to a ML problem), but I want to run that by you guys first.

Thanks for looking!

ted ramasola

What is your card reader? this high capacity card only works with UDMA7 card reader thats USB 3.0 if you used a usb 2 reader then you have corrupted this card.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

Card or reader or both.

I've used an alcor usb 2.0 reader for the 64s. Never had issues.

Calebmcl

The reader is USB 3.0. Is it possible to have a USB 3.0 reader that isn't UDMA7? What about a USB 3.0 card reader plugged into a 2.0 port?

ted ramasola

do you have another CF card that also runs ML? And it does not have this problem?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

engardeknave

I've had this a couple times and on both occasions I had been messing around with silent pics. No idea if that had anything to do with it. Fortunately for me the folders I was using were intact. Just a bunch of extra gibberish files in the root as I recall. I formatted in-camera.

engardeknave

Was not messing around with silent pics this time. I didn't lose any files, but this is really quite a bit disconcerting to see after a three hour shoot. Is there anything I should be doing to troubleshoot this or prevent it?

1%

engardeknave

Yes. I think I did a full format last time this happened. I'm doing one now. I have another identical card so maybe I'll switch to that for a while.