[WINDOWS] MLV to DNG Batch Converter v1.9

Started by tonybeccar, January 27, 2014, 05:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonybeccar

Quote from: kgv5 on January 29, 2014, 02:24:29 PM
@tonybeccar, sure, i will try to reproduce the bug and give you results  :)

One more important step is needed: support of DualISO files processing in such a converter app. I know it would be hard and requires cooperation of the devs in the first place. That would be the dream app for all ML users :)

Ho ho ho! Dual ISO files.. yes that will be the dream! Is there any RAW to DL-DNG for video? Bad thing is I have a 7D.. and dual iso VIDEO is not supported (yet :) )

RenStarFilm

Tony THANK YOU so much, GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteveScout

Hi, it´s me again. New machine (this time in the office), freshly recorded MLVs. 11 files, only 1 output. Am I stupid? Can´t even handle a small software .. ;)

Attached is a screenshot. Any idea?

shahed26

Thanks for this great time saving tool.

Walter Schulz

That's not a file but a directory folder ...

tonybeccar

@steve, I am currently testing inputting files from a CF card onto another drive.. it's running fine for now. One question, which version of windows are you using? It looks like XP.. maybe it doesnt work quite well there...

Also I wonder why the labels are white... maybe an XP styling thing..

SteveScout

It´s windows 7, an both machines. I just always turn off all the aero visual stuff .. :)
Coming directly from the card should not be the issue . yesterday the MLVs came from an external harddrive and it did not make a difference.

tonybeccar

Version 1.1 is out!

It has several bug fixes and a more polishes more intuitive interface functionality. Now you can check the items you wish to convert and it has a more solid, more visually attractive naming system. You can choose between custom XMP files.

Steve, please check if you still have the problem now. As I cannot reproduce it I don't know, but I changed the code a little. In the next release will change the way the program executes the commands, so it may help your case. You said you tried on a different computer?

OH HEY, maybe I have an idea... Are you recording the MLV with SOUND? There could be a problem ;) Will wait for your answer.

Enjoy!

ted ramasola

Nice improvement tony. earlier I tested 1.0 against browsersharp on a 64 gig file and they clocked real close.

MLV converter v1.0 - 57'
BrowserSharp -  55' 22"

I'm looking at the interface and I think the labels should be all black instead of white as a user would think theyre not active, like the select and play mlv buttons.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

tonybeccar

ONLINE NOW. Bugfix for the error that's been discussed. It happened that when an MLV had no audio, it stopped converting. Fixed now.

Ted, download it again please, the .zip has the same name, it's been replaced now.

And, I wonder why they show white... do you also have Aero disabled?

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

tonybeccar

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 29, 2014, 09:42:55 PM
Ok, I'll bite. whats aero?

Aero is the nice styling of the windows in windows 7, the transparent "glossy" windows style.. do you have that or your Windows system looks like the screenshot above?

ted ramasola

I usually turn off all the blings in my windows. yeah, mine looks like the screenshot.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

tonybeccar

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 29, 2014, 09:59:05 PM
I usually turn off all the blings in my windows. yeah, mine looks like the screenshot.

Okey, I'll check with everything off.

SteveScout

Yeah, version 1.1 fixed it!! -- almost. :)

Seems like the audio thing was the issue, I recorded everything without audio (still used to it after always shooting raw files).
What happened now - I took those three files from the first test. The first AND third DNG sequence was written .. but in the second folder only the XMP file could be found. If I put that (second) MLV file separately in an folder it gets converted without problems. Hm. Any idea?

Great improvement on the naming structure, thanks for the update!

teedidy

Sorry if this has already been discussed else where (or here I tried searching) I have used your tool v1.1 and its awesome thank you. Does it write the time code to the DNG such that after effects can pick it up (if that is even possible) and use it when "Use source timecode from file" is selected.

Jakobmen

can you make it work with RAW files also.. =)
Canon 5D3

tonybeccar

Quote from: SteveScout on January 29, 2014, 11:54:11 PM
Seems like the audio thing was the issue, I recorded everything without audio (still used to it after always shooting raw files).
What happened now - I took those three files from the first test. The first AND third DNG sequence was written .. but in the second folder only the XMP file could be found. If I put that (second) MLV file separately in an folder it gets converted without problems. Hm. Any idea?

Lol.. I wonder now what's going on.. So you have 3 MLVs without audio? Or some with audio and some without? Any other options activated?

Sorry if this has already been discussed else where (or here I tried searching) I have used your tool v1.1 and its awesome thank you. Does it write the time code to the DNG such that after effects can pick it up (if that is even possible) and use it when "Use source timecode from file" is selected.

Mmmhh.. I have no idea about that functionality! You mean so after effects an pick up the audio? I've been meaning to find a way to that..

can you make it work with RAW files also.. =)

Mmmh I don't know.. the whole point is to embrace the MLV format, which is in current development and has more features.. raw is discontinued now? Besides, there are other convertors out there for RAW files!

SteveScout

Yes, three MLVs without audio. I don´t even know yet how to enable audio when recording MLVs. ;)

If the audio files have the same filenames and always have the same offset .. it shouldn´t be too hard to write a Premiere Project file where all the DNG sequences (or their converted offline files) and the audio is automatically matched. Such a file is just a compressed XML file, human readable. But someone with the Premiere Pro SDK would be needed here.

I am personally looking into triggering a zoom H6 with a sound module. So the filenames don´t match, but if the MLV wav file would be automatically aligned with the video, tools like "PluralEyes" could save a lot of time.

But back to the core problem .. do you think it´s possible to skip the whole audio part if no WAV file is found? Or is the recorded audio contained in the MLV itself?

At the moment I am pretty happy with raw since MLVs on my 5DMk3 sometimes have strange behaviour (recording stops etc.) which never happens with raw_rec. But MLVs are the future for sure, with their structure and the metadata they can contain. For raw files the closest to your program is BATCHelor, but with the possibilities MLV offers you your app can take this to a whole new level. So definitely stay on the MLV side and put efforts and time to make that perfect, rather than including raw as a file format.

Thanks again for your great visual basic skills! ;)

tonybeccar

Well yeah, now that MLV can record audio, it's just amazing! Why would you need the complicated H6 sync way then? (it's only reference audio though)

Anyway, well it's set to first check if there is audio or not.. I tested it myself and it converted files with no audio.. mm will check it again.

And yes, been reading about strange MLV behaviour.. grrr it's just too bad! Hope g33g0 can fix it.. been reading about the 40gig problem.. but yes, it is the future.. audio is one of the most important parts for me.. then you can compress the mlvs, do whatever you want..

In AE, when you import the DNG sequence you dont get the audio.. but for example if you go to the root folder of the DNGs, search for ".wav" and then drag everything into AE, because of the naming, it gets organized pretty well in the project bin, and then you can make your comps.. would be cool to have an automatic script for that..

Anyway.. bugfixing now.. will upload 1.2 tomorrow or in a short while.. will see..

Cheers!

tonybeccar

Version 1.2!

It has bugfixes, small interface improvements, shows elapsed time and total time.

ted ramasola

Tony, ver 1.1 and ver 1.2 gives an error and and invalid folder settings if the source folder is the same as the destination/output. Is this intentional?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

tonybeccar

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 30, 2014, 06:39:49 AM
Tony, ver 1.1 and ver 1.2 gives an error and and invalid folder settings if the source folder is the same as the destination/output. Is this intentional?

Yes it is! Do you want me to change it?

tonybeccar

Quote from: tonybeccar on January 30, 2014, 02:49:07 PM
Yes it is! Do you want me to change it?

Well I changed it, it's now possible.

gary2013

Tony, I have your latest version and thank you for all your work.
Can you size the window so it is shorter vertically? Just tighten up evrything with all the spaces that are now there. Like between Output MLVs and File Naming. Between that and the next DNG compression section. The buttons below the window for file selections can also be made shorter. There is extra space below the text. I like the current size of your text which makes it easy for my old eyes to read. And so on withe everything. Then the whole UI display it can probably fit my monitor display which is 1360 x 768. Right now your window hides at the bottom below my taskbar and I cannot see any of the important bottom row. Maybe make your display user sizable? I have to use my monitor at its native display.

also, it can use a Deselect all function for file selection. Maybe make the Select button toggle that.