[WINDOWS] MLV to DNG Batch Converter v1.9

Started by tonybeccar, January 27, 2014, 05:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

That's the issue: it only works with certain cameras and resolutions, for which the exact location of these pixels is known.

This is why I wrote chroma smoothing, because that algorithm removes all pink pixels with no prior info about them. However, some may argue it reduces image quality by doing that.

tonybeccar

Quote from: a1ex on March 15, 2014, 06:37:30 PM
That's the issue: it only works with certain cameras and resolutions, for which the exact location of these pixels is known.

This is why I wrote chroma smoothing, because that algorithm removes all pink pixels with no prior info about them. However, some may argue it reduces image quality by doing that.

Oh ok! That's great a1ex! Thanks!

So, for the people who are asking for Pink Dot Remover, you do not like chroma smoothing? Do you still have pink pixels?

As far as this new information, I see no point in implementing it..

feureau

Hi, Tony

Yeah, that's the tool. And there are two methods to clear up pink dots. Using that special tool and using chroma smoothing thingy. The PDR tool is best but you have to know the exact resolution of the frame since the dots are manually programmed according to the position of the PDAF on the sensor.

The chroma smoothing sometimes leave artifacts on magenta colored stuff.

the Raw Therappee cleanup is basically the same as running a magenta defringing on lightroom/ACR, but you'd need a strong defringing, causing artifacts on the fringe of everything magenta. Plus sometimes it leaves black dots when you sharpen the pic a bit

This is applicable with cameras that has EOS-M hybrid AF sensor like the 650D and 700D. (and the eos-m itself) since MLVs recorded from them also records the AF points.

Would be nice to have this function batch executed when waiting for the DNGs to complete.

Btw, did you get the jar from the github? (I think the one linked in the post is outdated)

Also, for clarity: Alex's PDR is the raw2dng cs2x2 and it works great too (I think this is the latest one: http://acoutts.com/a1ex/raw2dng_cs2x2_ahdlike_noise.exe)

PS: MLV has --cs2x2 too (no idea how good it is though. Never tried it.)

Any of which gets implemented would be great though. :D (I guess MLV's --cs2x2 would be easiest?)

tonybeccar

Quote from: feureau on March 16, 2014, 02:56:43 PM
Hi, Tony

Yeah, that's the tool. And there are two methods to clear up pink dots. Using that special tool and using chroma smoothing thingy. The PDR tool is best but you have to know the exact resolution of the frame since the dots are manually programmed according to the position of the PDAF on the sensor.

The chroma smoothing sometimes leave artifacts on magenta colored stuff.

the Raw Therappee cleanup is basically the same as running a magenta defringing on lightroom/ACR, but you'd need a strong defringing, causing artifacts on the fringe of everything magenta. Plus sometimes it leaves black dots when you sharpen the pic a bit

This is applicable with cameras that has EOS-M hybrid AF sensor like the 650D and 700D. (and the eos-m itself) since MLVs recorded from them also records the AF points.

Would be nice to have this function batch executed when waiting for the DNGs to complete.

Btw, did you get the jar from the github? (I think the one linked in the post is outdated)

Also, for clarity: Alex's PDR is the raw2dng cs2x2 and it works great too (I think this is the latest one: http://acoutts.com/a1ex/raw2dng_cs2x2_ahdlike_noise.exe)

PS: MLV has --cs2x2 too (no idea how good it is though. Never tried it.)

Any of which gets implemented would be great though. :D (I guess MLV's --cs2x2 would be easiest?)

MLV chroma smoothing is already implemented in 1.9, it's under DNG options. You can choose between None, 2x2, 3x3 and 5x5. Anyway I think in mlv_dump cs2x2 is the default setting.

Toffifee

Hey,

I run this program in win 8.1 through Parallells 9 and I keep running into this error: "the given path's format is not supported", any ideas for what I can do to fix it?

Edit: Updated to 1.9, I get errors still, but it looks like it's working

chmee

[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

ChadMuffin

This should be a sticky note. More people need to know about this batch converter.

Toffifee

+1
Honestly a lot of the stickies are outdated.

feureau

Quote from: tonybeccar on March 16, 2014, 03:29:19 PM
MLV chroma smoothing is already implemented in 1.9, it's under DNG options. You can choose between None, 2x2, 3x3 and 5x5. Anyway I think in mlv_dump cs2x2 is the default setting.

Holy shit! I didn't see that drop box! D:

That works great. Thank you!! \o/

Default was None in that dropbox though. (I think it should stay that way)

Btw, the picture profile in ACR is no longer selectable in this version. Did something changed?

Also, is it possible to add an option to have all the output DNGs put in one folder instead of each separate folder?

Thanks again. This tool is really really really useful. Best batch converter I've seen here. :D

Quote from: ChadMuffin on March 16, 2014, 08:38:22 PM
This should be a sticky note. More people need to know about this batch converter.

Bloody yes. Two of those apps sticked has trojan even. And the devs have all but disappeared.

HugoFilipe

I'm certanly doing something wrong.

I've read a few pages of this topic and could not find the answer, I try to convert the MLV to a proxy, it does extract the dng, then creates the TIF but concludes before creating the proxy.
I've the proxy selected, the destination folder also is selected.
I tried about every proxy options but none gives me a video file.

The source files are from 5d3, at 1920x1080 24fps.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

gary2013

i can't get ProRes to work with this latest version 1.9. It creates a mov file, but nothing is there when I try playback using VLC or QT.

tonybeccar

Maybe it's a simple bug as I changed stuff and really didnt test proxies in 1.9.. cause i thought they would be fine, as I touched nothing from them.. but apparently something caused a chain reaction in the code.. will look into it, thanks for noticing.

HugoFilipe

@Tony, this aplication looks like will match perfecly my transition from the .RAW to .MLV (leaving Rawanizer behind), but I'm having trouble getting the proxies.

I followed the first post from start to ending. I do state each folder correctly, i selected the proxy type (tried all of them), it extracts the DNG's, then exports the TIF's but in the end it just deletes the TIF's and says convertion done, with no proxy file generated.

I'm pretty sure something is wrong on my side, but I would love to get your help on this.

Thank you

Toffifee

@Tony
Are there any plans for a os x app?

tonybeccar

Quote from: HugoFilipe on March 19, 2014, 05:26:30 AM
@Tony, this aplication looks like will match perfecly my transition from the .RAW to .MLV (leaving Rawanizer behind), but I'm having trouble getting the proxies.

I followed the first post from start to ending. I do state each folder correctly, i selected the proxy type (tried all of them), it extracts the DNG's, then exports the TIF's but in the end it just deletes the TIF's and says convertion done, with no proxy file generated.

I'm pretty sure something is wrong on my side, but I would love to get your help on this.

Thank you

Hey Hugo! As I said above, there seems to be a simple bug in 1.9.. will fix it today and upload 1.9.1!

tonybeccar

Quote from: Toffifee on March 19, 2014, 06:00:34 AM
@Tony
Are there any plans for a os x app?

I wish, but for now I have no idea how.. and I have a lot planned. Maybe when I'm finished I'll do the full port, but for now doesnt make sense to me because there are a lot of features missing (and I don't have a mac for now hehe)

tonybeccar

1.9.1:

- Fixed the proxy bug, it was very silly. Sorry about that. Should be working fine now.

You will see more options but disabled, that's because I was in the middle of implementing new stuff and hurried to fix this urgent bug.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ljq4dl253sktyi/MLV%20Converter%201.9.1.zip

Cheers!

HugoFilipe

Quote from: tonybeccar on March 19, 2014, 01:43:37 PM
1.9.1:

- Fixed the proxy bug, it was very silly. Sorry about that. Should be working fine now.

You will see more options but disabled, that's because I was in the middle of implementing new stuff and hurried to fix this urgent bug.

Cheers!

Hey Tony,

I mean I'm really doing something wrong.
I tried this new version, tried the 1.6 one also.
Everything works perfectly except that i never get a proxy in the end. I selected correctly the 3 programs, i can preview all the footage, well, in resume everything looks ok until the end of the export.

It creates the TIF's but then deletes them and no proxy appear. I tried all ProRes options, no luck with any.
I know this is a bad issue report, but really don't know what to describe.

edge11

Damn this is sweet!
can't wait to be able to add luts to the proxies.

5Djp

I really love these updates!  Thanks Tony!

ted ramasola

Tony,

This version is better now. No more buggy pop up telling me a dll is missing.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

edge11

So i got this error today while trying to format a 4gb mlv file with proress444 proxies.
Im on windows 8.1 using mlv to dng batch 1.9.1

I tried to send it through again and i got this

Then this

Tried it again, here is what the error message says

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '-73' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.
Parameter name: Value
   at System.Windows.Forms.ProgressBar.set_Value(Int32 value)
   at WindowsApplication1.Program.My_BgWorker_ProgressChanged(Object sender, ProgressChangedEventArgs e)

Any one know whats going on?

screamer

Quote from: tonybeccar on March 19, 2014, 01:43:37 PM
1.9.1:

Cheers!

hi, and wow, this software is very useful. i've installed now, first time i use mlv files and trying to experiment about dual iso files also.
all is working fine, but i have some things disabled in the interface (i guess because of the hurry of fixing the proxy bug).
in the specific i have all the "mlv rewrite" and "dual iso" tabs grey and not active. and basically if i export to a dng sequence, the dng files are with the lines (so not processed, i guess).
i don't know if it is about the version of software (tried to download old versions following the links on the thread, but unfortunately they are no more online).
how can i process a dual iso mlv? am i doing something wrong, or simply i have to wait?
thank you so much for the great work ;)
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

tonybeccar

Quote from: screamer on March 24, 2014, 10:32:47 PM
hi, and wow, this software is very useful. i've installed now, first time i use mlv files and trying to experiment about dual iso files also.
all is working fine, but i have some things disabled in the interface (i guess because of the hurry of fixing the proxy bug).
in the specific i have all the "mlv rewrite" and "dual iso" tabs grey and not active. and basically if i export to a dng sequence, the dng files are with the lines (so not processed, i guess).
i don't know if it is about the version of software (tried to download old versions following the links on the thread, but unfortunately they are no more online).
how can i process a dual iso mlv? am i doing something wrong, or simply i have to wait?
thank you so much for the great work ;)

Hey! You have to select the files that are Dual Iso, right click and select "Process Dual Iso", that way the column will change from "No" to "Yes". Should write some manual or something hehe.. The disabled options are like that because they are not finished. Cheers!

tonybeccar

v1.9.2:

- Updated version of mlv_dump. it has a bugfix that skips corrupted frames encounter on some recent builds.
- also forgot to include nconvert.exe in previous version, it's the replacement for irfan view.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qhncp7pi4t268o/MLV%20Converter%201.9.2.zip