[WINDOWS] MLV to DNG Batch Converter v1.9

Started by tonybeccar, January 27, 2014, 05:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonybeccar

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 14, 2014, 03:20:22 PM
1.9 works good Tony.

Its just that it looks for FORMAT.dll all the time, I already downloaded previously from its site and upon first run I pointed the app to the tools folder. Did I do that right? How can I fix this?

Format.dll? I think that's irfan view problem.. did it work before for you? Did you point to the original irfan view folder? Anyway in next release will abandon irfan view as it is really unconfortable to do that!

Anyone else with this problem?

Jakobmen

Quote from: tonybeccar on March 14, 2014, 03:41:43 PM
Format.dll? I think that's irfan view problem.. did it work before for you? Did you point to the original irfan view folder? Anyway in next release will abandon irfan view as it is really unconfortable to do that!

Anyone else with this problem?

yup.. i just ignore it now =(
Canon 5D3

tonybeccar

Quote from: Jakobmen on March 14, 2014, 03:52:30 PM
yup.. i just ignore it now =(

Wow.. really? Weird.. I assume it gives the problem whenever you click a file in the list and tries to load the thumbnail right?

Jakobmen

Quote from: tonybeccar on March 14, 2014, 04:05:06 PM
Wow.. really? Weird.. I assume it gives the problem whenever you click a file in the list and tries to load the thumbnail right?
yes sir
Canon 5D3

tonybeccar

arturochu

i just processed two dual iso clips, both of them had flicker, one more than the other but noticable in both of them, not acceptable for pro work, bummer, is there some parameter i can change in order to eliminate flicker?

thx in advance

cheers!

currently uploading both, i'll post them as soon as they're up
Chu

tonybeccar

Quote from: arturochu on March 14, 2014, 10:45:37 PM
i just processed two dual iso clips, both of them had flicker, one more than the other but noticable in both of them, not acceptable for pro work, bummer, is there some parameter i can change in order to eliminate flicker?

thx in advance

cheers!

currently uploading both, i'll post them as soon as they're up

Mmmm I have no idea about that.. what the program does is execute cr2hdr with all the default settings.. maybe something to look up in the dual iso thread.. I have no idea about that.. I have a 7D so no dual iso video... I have one clip of a 5D3 that I did the test on.. 116 frames and I didnt processed it completely hehe, so I don't know about the flicker.

The other settings you have basically start lowering the quality, like the interpolation, process in full res.. so I don't know about the flicker really...

kgv5

I made some tests and dualISO works completely fine :) Thanks Tony for implementing this :) Flickering is the matter of further processing (shadow/highlight recovery) and has nothing to do with "unpacking" and cr2hdr.
Tony, do you think it would be possible that your app could recognize dualiso files among dozens of normal MLVs? That would be the huge time saver as well.
Cheers
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

arturochu

look this is what i got:

https://vimeo.com/89151079

https://vimeo.com/89151097

both rendered through resolve, do you think flickering is because of the amount of highlight recovery i made in resolve?

cheers
Chu

tonybeccar

Quote from: kgv5 on March 14, 2014, 11:45:15 PM
I made some tests and dualISO works completely fine :) Thanks Tony for implementing this :) Flickering is the matter of further processing (shadow/highlight recovery) and has nothing to do with "unpacking" and cr2hdr.
Tony, do you think it would be possible that your app could recognize dualiso files among dozens of normal MLVs? That would be the huge time saver as well.
Cheers

I'm trying to figure out a way to automatically detect it.. but for now not too sure. Will keep you posted!

tonybeccar

Quote from: arturochu on March 14, 2014, 11:59:09 PM
look this is what i got:

https://vimeo.com/89151079

https://vimeo.com/89151097

both rendered through resolve, do you think flickering is because of the amount of highlight recovery i made in resolve?

cheers

I see the flicker.. it's small.. I have no idea really. The videos look damn great that for sure! ;)

a1ex

I'll try to fix it in cr2hdr (most likely I will add a command-line switch called --video).

Not yet sure if I'll use the post deflicker algorithm or I'll simply force black/white levels and ISO match curve to be the same for all frames.

feureau

Quote from: tonybeccar on March 13, 2014, 08:50:38 PM
v1.9 is out!

- Back to mlv_dump cause of the "mlv2dng stopped working" error. It's a pity cause it was SO fast.
- Interface improvements, with bigger queue and saving space on options.
- DUAL ISO SUPPORT! Though it is sooooooooo slow. But anyway I think that's the way it is. (right click selected items on queue)
- Now you can specify the camera ID for multiple cameras. (right click selected items on queue)
- Chroma smoothing option. Default, none. (may change that?)
- Small bugfixes.

To do, a lot! Including full mlv support, black image substraction, better proxies (using xconvert), dual iso options, full metadata window, more options, delete mlv/dng, import dng folders, proper installer/updater... the list is endless.. hope i can do it all soon! CinemaDNG for me is the most important.. will wait for command line... and I was thinking about Dual ISO and CinemaDNG.. not at all possible right??? That's a complication :/

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5qm0djcvjo608e/MLV%20Converter%201.9.zip

Cheers!

Thank you very much for the update! \o/

Looking forward to the CinemaDNG support! :D

And don't forget the pink dot remover, please! :P

jose_ugs

Quote from: a1ex on March 15, 2014, 02:09:29 AM
I'll try to fix it in cr2hdr (most likely I will add a command-line switch called --video).

Not yet sure if I'll use the post deflicker algorithm or I'll simply force black/white levels and ISO match curve to be the same for all frames.

@a1ex, someone had the same issue some days ago, i'm sure it'll be much appreciated if you have a "fix" for this :)

jose_ugs

I was going through the DNG options and here's a comparison between the various DNG compressions: None, Lossless, Lossy

Here are the full-res files:
http://www.image-share.com/upload/2476/178.jpg
http://www.image-share.com/upload/2476/179.jpg
http://www.image-share.com/upload/2476/180.jpg

I couldn't find (as expected) any difference between None & Lossless. There's minor difference between None/Lossless & Lossy... in my scenario, it's really really minor... 90% of my friends couldn't tell a difference.
The real difference comes when you process for Lossless or Lossy... it takes forever. Lossless will result in around half of the original (none) files, and Lossy in around 1/4th...
Time to process will vary, but here's a simple one: it took about 2:12min.(None) to process a 2GB spanned MLV, 26:16mins(lossless) & 30mins(lossy)

Hope this is of some use and i don't repeat someone else's comparison...

chmee

i'd wonder, if there would be differences between no and lossless dng. thats the advantage of lossless :) its lossless :D

as i read, lossy is compressed in 8bit yuv. so look in the bottom right corner, change from blue to white circles. there are significantly more edge-artifacts. if you'd say, you use it as archive-format, ok. but as working-footage, sorry, no.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

arrinkiiii

chmee

lossless is like zip/rar/lzw, you lose nothing, therefore lossless. its a straight data compression, not a visual one.

arrinkiiii

Thanks for the info, glad to know that they stay still with 14 bits.

jose_ugs

yep, results in the same quality, but less storage is needed. Only thing is... takes time to compress it. I don't know how it performs in Davinci/AFX compared to non-compressed DNGs in terms of speed

tonybeccar

Quote from: jose_ugs on March 15, 2014, 12:44:47 PM
yep, results in the same quality, but less storage is needed. Only thing is... takes time to compress it. I don't know how it performs in Davinci/AFX compared to non-compressed DNGs in terms of speed

I didn't do an extensive test.. but I tried different compressions in AE and it was the same in terms of speed.. at least I didn't notice one.

chmee

how many space do we save? 30% imho the savings are not worth the time it needs. its too easy buying another hdd with 2tb.. if i want to archive the dngs, then i'd do a simple zip-compression on the folders. done. but nonetheless, its now built in and some are thankful for that..

tonybeccar

Quote from: chmee on March 15, 2014, 03:37:06 PM
how many space do we save? 30% imho the savings are not worth the time it needs. its too easy buying another hdd with 2tb.. if i want to archive the dngs, then i'd do a simple zip-compression on the folders. done. but nonetheless, its now built in and some are thankful for that..

I think 50% with lossless. Indeed it is veryyyy time consuming. But you gotta sleep at night.. hehe..

arturochu

Quote from: a1ex on March 15, 2014, 02:09:29 AM

Looking forward for this fix, i'll test it as soon as its updated.
Chu

tonybeccar

I don't quite understand the Pink Dot Remover thing yet.. cause I never experienced it. I found this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658.0

Is this it? This program that I download from the first post will fix the pink dots for ALL cameras affected by it? I just notices there is a .jar inside, so have no clue.

Anyone can point me in the right direction so I can implement it?