[WINDOWS] MLV to DNG Batch Converter v1.9

Started by tonybeccar, January 27, 2014, 05:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrinkiiii

Man you are in the PARADISE !!! Use good your 7D  =DD

I don't use proxies, at least like that but good proxies/conversion can be use as the main footage for edition, color correcting and everything. The file stay more light(small and you don't lost visible quality and you can work good in Premiere...or other app.  I like to work with the original (dng's).

The black frame subtracting is a must for the 7D  =DD  I think is just implement the command line and that we have the posibility to upload some dark mlv files with different ISO's/Aspect Ratio/Shutter Speed for the subtracting.

Enjoy and happy ML record's  8)

Malex

Hi Tony,
I answer for myself, and I think like you that the proxies are not that important, I myself don't use them, my PC is something like 3 years old now and it can play smoothly the dng inside Premiere with no problem, and if it start going slow because of effects and stuff I can always reduce the playback quality for better playback, and I think it goes for any NLE as long as you got fast enough hard driveS (always use many drives for editing not just one) and a good graphic card.
I used to actually make .dpx too from the mlv dng (before chmee's app 1.4.9) but with after effects. Making it with xnview or xconvert seems faster but no more ACR then.

jayzed

Hey Tonybeccar. I hope you're enjoying your holidays. Just for the record, I don't use the proxy function, I bring the DNGs straight into AE (via ACR tweaks) and do some basic CC before rendering into an edit format from there. My machine is a few years old but I don't have problems with performance using the original files or transcoded versions so don't have the need for proxies. Others may differ, particularly if they go straight to editorial.

feureau

Quote from: tonybeccar on February 23, 2014, 02:11:15 PM
Thinking about the proxies.. do you think I should continue developing them? I dont see much use for them.. really after the cinema dngs from chmee.. this converter i think is useless until he releases a command line.. will stick to regular dngs for now.. and polish the interface, bugfix and add this features for now.. dont know about proxies.. anyone uses them?? They take unbelievably long..

Please expand this feature even more! \o/

I use ProRes for editing and final delivery. Usually, after converting to DNG I will use AE to convert to ProRes 4444 10 bit or 422 for editing and grading. This means the ProRes version would look really flat/use a log gamma so it will grade nicely, and since it's an edit friendly format, it will playback smoothly without a hitch.

It'd be nice if I can skip this step and just get a setting for the various prores output. This is without a doubt, a crucial feature to have. :D

Currently, I can't seem to set the LUT (the No LUT on the proxies section is always greyed out)

Also, the output files always suffixes with Proxy1 and Proxy2. Would be nice if it suffixes the type of prores it is (e.g. ProRes422 and ProRes4444 suffixes)

Btw, is it possible to have the output folders automagically filled in as child folders of the input folder? (and ability to ctrl-v paste a folder into the box?)

Another feature that would be crucial to have would be the Pink Dot Removal for us EOS-M users and (I think) 600D, 650D, and 700D, to remove the in-sensor phase detect pixels recorded with the MLVs.

Anyway, enjoy your vacation and thanks for all the fish!

gary2013

Quote from: feureau on February 24, 2014, 08:29:30 AM

I use ProRes for editing and final delivery. Usually, after converting to DNG I will use AE to convert to ProRes 4444 10 bit or 422 for editing and grading. This means the ProRes version would look really flat/use a log gamma so it will grade nicely, and since it's an edit friendly format, it will playback smoothly without a hitch.

It'd be nice if I can skip this step and just get a setting for the various prores output. This is without a doubt, a crucial feature to have. :D

Currently, I can't seem to set the LUT (the No LUT on the proxies section is always greyed out)

Also, the output files always suffixes with Proxy1 and Proxy2. Would be nice if it suffixes the type of prores it is (e.g. ProRes422 and ProRes4444 suffixes)

Btw, is it possible to have the output folders automagically filled in as child folders of the input folder? (and ability to ctrl-v paste a folder into the box?)

Another feature that would be crucial to have would be the Pink Dot Removal for us EOS-M users and (I think) 600D, 650D, and 700D, to remove the in-sensor phase detect pixels recorded with the MLVs.

+100

stevethornton

Tonybeccar,

Just having the viewer alone is a HUGE help, thanks!

I have an error message:

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '101' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.
Parameter name: Value
   at System.Windows.Forms.ProgressBar.set_Value(Int32 value)
   at WindowsApplication1.Program.My_BgWorker_ProgressChanged(Object sender, ProgressChangedEventArgs e)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5477 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MLVtoDNG BATCH
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Magic%20Lantern%20RAW%20Video%20Converter/MLV%20Converter.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
Microsoft.WindowsAPICodePack.Shell
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Magic%20Lantern%20RAW%20Video%20Converter/Microsoft.WindowsAPICodePack.Shell.DLL
Microsoft.WindowsAPICodePack
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Magic%20Lantern%20RAW%20Video%20Converter/Microsoft.WindowsAPICodePack.DLL

I'm using a 5D MKIII

OS/Hardware: Windows 7 64Bit - NVIDIA K4000M card - i7 Quad processor 2.7Ghz

Thanks!

ST

pilgrim

Quote from: feureau on February 24, 2014, 08:29:30 AM

Tony,

The proxy or ProRes is very useful. Please keep it.
If the condition light during filming are good, and I don't need heavy effect on Resolve then ProRes files will be enough for editing.
Especially if the LUT can be applied then the grading will be light and can be done in NLE program.
The MLV help to preserve the good quality during the filming. I know that in ideal way we edit the following process in Resolve or similar program, but if from DNG 14 bit going down to 10 bit ProResHQ for me is acceptable because my final file will be for Vimeo and DVD not for big screening. This will keep the post-processing more simple. I am still enjoying the transition from 8 bit, to this wonder by Magic Lantern.
I still didn't manage with the limitation of hard-disk also, the older files ProRes and DV (yes, SD files  ::)) already more than 30TB.
Have a nice vacation there !

arrinkiiii

kaco

Is there a way how to import the CinemaDNG's into resolve with the WAV? In my case they are importing separately and I couldn't manage to import them merged together. Maybe it's because of wrong timecode?

gary2013

I just realized that we need a PDR inside this app to use the proxy/ProRes feature. It is useless since after it becomes a ProRes file, we cannot get the pink dots removed. The only app I know of for MLV files that reduce pink dots is the set from Alex, such as raw2dng_cs2x2_ahdlike_noise.exe  Maybe that could be incorporated inside this app?? But, from what I understand, not all cameras get pink dots and the original PDR app had to use a specific map for each camera, like my EOS-M, because the pink dots always have the same position when shooting raw/mlv.

I use Neat Video filter for noise reduction inside PPro CC on the ProRes file created from Tony's app, but it does not get rid of the pink dots. I tried, in addition, the dust and scratch filter which does help reducing the pink dots, but at the expense of softening the whole image and that defeats the purpose of shooting raw for crisp, high resolution.

If am wrong and missing something, someone please fill me in on how to do it. This is on the EOS-M camera shooting 720p24 crop mode.

pilgrim

Quote from: gary2013 on February 25, 2014, 07:16:47 PM
I just realized that we need a PDR inside this app to use the proxy/ProRes feature. It is useless since after it becomes a ProRes file, we cannot get the pink dots removed. The only app I know of for MLV files that reduce pink dots is the set from Alex, such as raw2dng_cs2x2_ahdlike_noise.exe  Maybe that could be incorporated inside this app??

Gary,
I think we should suggest the correction of ProRes with "raw2dng_cs2x2_ahdlike_noise.exe" on the apps "mlrawviewer" from baldand. That is the apps for ProRes inside MLV Converter, except for the output DNG.
Please, correct me if I am wrong.

gary2013

Quote from: pilgrim on February 25, 2014, 11:08:46 PM
Gary,
I think we should suggest the correction of ProRes with "raw2dng_cs2x2_ahdlike_noise.exe" on the apps "mlrawviewer" from baldand. That is the apps for ProRes inside MLV Converter, except for the output DNG.
Please, correct me if I am wrong.
Pilgrim,
Whatever it takes to go from MLV to ProRes that gets rid of the pink dots on the EOS-M camera. :)

Edit- I just looked at mlrawviewer and tried it. it seems to only be a raw/mlv viewer and i cannot get any of the options to work for MLV files, such as brightness, white balance, etc. These options do work on the original ML Raw files. how do you get it to do prores and dng's? i have a feeling it takes some programming since there are no menus or anything except space bar for start and stop playback. I admit I didn't read the whole thread. Just the OP and downloaded the app. Tony's app does most of what I need except the pink dot removal and no raw files (just mlv).

painya

Sorry if you have already seen this, but i posted a bit ago with no response. If it is a dumb question feel free to ignore it.
I always get the error "MLV2DNG has stopped working." any ideas? I have a brand new very quick computer (Windows 8.1), and Ifran, MLV viewer, and Adobe DNG converter are all installed. Any ideas?
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

5Djp

Ur probably at 64bit on windows 8.1
Download the zip from https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_0_4_alpha_win32.zip
..is 32 bit.

Do you see a C:/program Files (x86) folder in windows?

painya

Yes I do. What does that have to do with my error message though?
Quote from: 5Djp on February 26, 2014, 06:54:47 AM
Ur probably at 64bit on windows 8.1
Download the zip from https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_0_4_alpha_win32.zip
..is 32 bit.

Do you see a C:/program Files (x86) folder in windows?

gary2013

Quote from: painya on February 26, 2014, 06:47:23 AM
Sorry if you have already seen this, but i posted a bit ago with no response. If it is a dumb question feel free to ignore it.
I always get the error "MLV2DNG has stopped working." any ideas? I have a brand new very quick computer (Windows 8.1), and Ifran, MLV viewer, and Adobe DNG converter are all installed. Any ideas?
I was getting the same errors today. windows 7 64 bit

5Djp

I'm also getting .wav files that don't match up in Premiere and Afterfx.

5Djp

I thought it could have been mlv converter at 32 bit, and you're runnning x64bit.  But if you have the c/programfilesx86 folder then that nixes that idea.  I'm trying to replicate your error here..

ted ramasola

Quote from: 5Djp on February 26, 2014, 07:03:57 AM
I'm also getting .wav files that don't match up in Premiere and Afterfx.

You mean they are not in sync? - its old dslr issue, even with h264 you need to nudge the wav back 1-2 frames

Or You mean the wav is different length from video? - its "normal" for now, wav is either longer or shorter by a few frames or seconds.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

feureau

Btw, is there a way to enable noise reduction and distortion correction and defringing for the prores? (I think it's using adobe dng converter, right?) And to not separate the export into each clip's folders? (put everything in one folder) This is so that in AE, you can just select everything and it will automagically group the footage based and filename and series.

kaco

Quote from: ted ramasola on February 26, 2014, 07:27:59 AM
You mean they are not in sync? - its old dslr issue, even with h264 you need to nudge the wav back 1-2 frames

Or You mean the wav is different length from video? - its "normal" for now, wav is either longer or shorter by a few frames or seconds.

in my case the files are being imported into resolve separately (audio and video as two files). In premiere everything works fine.

arturochu

Chu

pilgrim

Quote from: gary2013 on February 26, 2014, 06:38:41 AM
Pilgrim,
Whatever it takes to go from MLV to ProRes that gets rid of the pink dots on the EOS-M camera. :)

Edit- I just looked at mlrawviewer and tried it. it seems to only be a raw/mlv viewer and i cannot get any of the options to work for MLV files, such as brightness, white balance, etc. These options do work on the original ML Raw files. how do you get it to do prores and dng's? i have a feeling it takes some programming since there are no menus or anything except space bar for start and stop playback. I admit I didn't read the whole thread. Just the OP and downloaded the app. Tony's app does most of what I need except the pink dot removal and no raw files (just mlv).

Gary,

I use "mlrawviewer" for viewing and converting the MLV files to ProRes. It's work as explain in the page :
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg91165#msg91165

The function brightness gain, white balance, linear/log mapping : all work well.
The only part which doesn't work (and I want) for me is jump the next/previous files with O/P keys. The rest is good, I use on Win7 64bit  and MacOS Mavericks. All the command with the keyboard shortcut which make faster for someone habits with shortcut. I put the list of the keyboard shortcut on the wall next to the monitor, and now it's memorized. I am used to FinalCutPro, so ProRes is my favourite.
No, I don't use the DNG files. It's too long process for me through Resolve, even I like very much the possibility of correction on Resolve. Simply I use correction on FCP and Neat Video. On Windows7 I use Lightworks, and with vers 11.5 it can import/link directly the ProRes file without transcode. I encourage you to read again the first page of "mlrawviewer" and play a bit more.

painya

Quote from: gary2013 on February 26, 2014, 07:00:20 AM
I was getting the same errors today. windows 7 64 bit
It seems like we are missing something. I'll PM you if I find out what and I'd appreciate if you'd do the same.

tonybeccar

People! To all who are getting the error "mlv2dng" has stopped working.. its because of mlv2dng. The program is discontinued and has flaws. Will switch back to mlvdump when i get back and upload. Meanwhile if someone has an older version of mlv converter they can upload.. as i dont have them with me now.

Sorry about the unstability.