[WINDOWS] MLV to DNG Batch Converter v1.9

Started by tonybeccar, January 27, 2014, 05:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonybeccar

Hey guys! Sorry, I have to be off a few days cause I have to finish an editing work.. And on Sunday I'm leaving for a 3-week-vacation.. so I'll try to leave you guys with the least bugs possible..

Anyway here is a version with the pop-up message fixed (v1.8.2): https://www.dropbox.com/s/l79ijxaqjsmjcx4/MLV%20Converter%201.8.2.zip

Sorry for the trouble haha... stupid thing of mine.. I will fix the audio support before sunday of course..

Hey Rush, which OS do you have? Did you record the MLV with sound? If not, can you try with? It seems there are still a few bugs with it :S, hope they'll be fixed by sunday, but you gotta help me narrow them down!

Cheers!

ScaSer

i all new to this RAW shooting.. but i think your program is awesome :)

it would be nice with a installer, so it would just update itself instead :)
-Kasper

Canon 5D mark III

dogmydog

Tyvm for you work, Tony!
It's amazing how much it helps to batch process MLV raw.

The 1.8.2 is now as fast as RAWBatchelor 3.0 Beta for DNG extraction, but it seems to me that Adobe DNG Converter runs faster on RAWBatchelor then MLV Converter 1.8.2. Can anyone confirm this?
I'm running Windows 7 x64, 12 GB RAM, 7200 SATA Seagate Disks.

I think your work is great, and appreciate the good-willing effort you're giving to us. :D
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

Rush

Quote from: tonybeccar on February 11, 2014, 05:52:44 PM
Hey Rush, which OS do you have? Did you record the MLV with sound? If not, can you try with? It seems there are still a few bugs with it :S, hope they'll be fixed by sunday, but you gotta help me narrow them down!
Thanks!
Win 8.1, MLV with sound. It seems, like ffmpeg don't do it's work (can't say anything without log file. is there any option for ffmpeg to create debug-log?)
Can it be because it is 50 fps MLV? In queue window it shows like -15.5 fps. May be you pass fps value to ffmpeg and that's why it crashes? (because -15.5 fps is invalid)
Or may be there is restrictions in resolition? Source MLV have 672px height (1920x672)

UPD: yes, fps value or resolution is the reason of proxy creation problem. 25 fps MLV (w/o sound) 1920x1080 converted succesfully

Interesting, but prores 4444 is just 130 mbit, and 422 is 280mbit
Greetings from Russia!

gary2013

Tony, now that I have convert to prores working in your app, can you make it also accept h.264 movie files on import (drag n Drop, too ?) to to convert to prores? or, a new second app that does it? I don't have any programming skills, so a nice UI to convert all my H.264 movies to prores (all the different versions to choose from) would be nice to have.

Rush

Greetings from Russia!

tonybeccar

Quote from: Rush on February 12, 2014, 09:50:16 AM
Thanks!
Win 8.1, MLV with sound. It seems, like ffmpeg don't do it's work (can't say anything without log file. is there any option for ffmpeg to create debug-log?)
Can it be because it is 50 fps MLV? In queue window it shows like -15.5 fps. May be you pass fps value to ffmpeg and that's why it crashes? (because -15.5 fps is invalid)
Or may be there is restrictions in resolition? Source MLV have 672px height (1920x672)

UPD: yes, fps value or resolution is the reason of proxy creation problem. 25 fps MLV (w/o sound) 1920x1080 converted succesfully

Oh yeah, if it says -15.5fps then it won't work at all! I wonder why! Do you use the "text" and "take" metadata? Does it happens with all the clips? I mean the bad framerate display... If you can please send me a short clip of a bad framerate display so I can look into it... it seems I have to find a better way to read the headers... cause bytes aren't always at the same place.. :/

tonybeccar

Quote from: gary2013 on February 12, 2014, 01:10:01 PM
Tony, now that I have convert to prores working in your app, can you make it also accept h.264 movie files on import (drag n Drop, too ?) to to convert to prores? or, a new second app that does it? I don't have any programming skills, so a nice UI to convert all my H.264 movies to prores (all the different versions to choose from) would be nice to have.

I always use TEncoder.. it's nice interface.. let's you import a tree of folders and converts it straight away.. you have a bunch of codecs available.. though it is very slow to add the files, but then you're good to go..

pilgrim

@ gary2013 : I use the program Shotcut ( http://www.shotcut.org/ ) for transcode/encode. I use on Mavericks and Windows 7.
In fact it can edit also, but still on the development. In most case many people use Premiere or Final Cut Pro, etc, but for someone need very simple cut/editing and free, this program is very good. It have many basic effect which often need : grading, gain for saturation, white balance, stabilization, etc. You can put inside H264, AVCHD and many other format and encode to ProRes, Avid DNxHD, MPEG Intra-Frame, etc. I use it to transcode  AVCHD files from Sony and H264 from Canon to ProRes with colour correction in Shotcut, and then edit on FinalCutPro, mixed other material ProRes from Ninja, some cleaning with Neat Video, it's work nice.

@ Tony : Can we put other LUT files on the folder Luts ? Is the format will be only .curve or .cube will be on the future ?
Thank you very much for this apps  :) :),  it's going faster and faster now  ;)

gary2013

Quote from: tonybeccar on February 12, 2014, 05:52:47 PM
I always use TEncoder.. it's nice interface.. let's you import a tree of folders and converts it straight away.. you have a bunch of codecs available.. though it is very slow to add the files, but then you're good to go..
Tony, thanx, but I did not see anything inside of Tencoder that has convert my H.264 files to ProRes?? I did want to say that this app wins the prize for having the most amount of xtra apps we don't want while trying to sneak them in on an installation. I think there were seven extra apps. After all the Declines I made, at the end it did nothing for thirty seconds and then it finally installed Tencoder. What's the world coming to? I like the old days of getting one app I want and it installs. :-) BTW, none of this is meant to be against you, Tony, just the people who make the app for download.

I am just looking for a simple batch convert app with a UI on a win 7 64 bit PC system to make my H.264 movie files to ProRes (all versions if possible of ProRes). I use PPro CC to edit and I see no ProRes ability to convert to.

gary2013

Quote from: Rush on February 12, 2014, 03:59:19 PM
Check 5DtoRGB tool
Thanx Rush. I am on windows 7 and that apps looks like Mac only.

gary2013

Quote from: pilgrim on February 12, 2014, 11:23:23 PM
@ gary2013 : I use the program Shotcut ( http://www.shotcut.org/ ) for transcode/encode. I use on Mavericks and Windows 7.
In fact it can edit also, but still on the development. In most case many people use Premiere or Final Cut Pro, etc, but for someone need very simple cut/editing and free, this program is very good. It have many basic effect which often need : grading, gain for saturation, white balance, stabilization, etc. You can put inside H264, AVCHD and many other format and encode to ProRes, Avid DNxHD, MPEG Intra-Frame, etc. I use it to transcode  AVCHD files from Sony and H264 from Canon to ProRes with colour correction in Shotcut, and then edit on FinalCutPro, mixed other material ProRes from Ninja, some cleaning with Neat Video, it's work nice.

@ Tony : Can we put other LUT files on the folder Luts ? Is the format will be only .curve or .cube will be on the future ?
Thank you very much for this apps  :) :),  it's going faster and faster now  ;)
Thanx Pilgrim. I looked everywhere inside this app, Shortcut. I do not see any option to convert/encode to ProRes anywhere or a Quicktime mov option.

tonybeccar

Quote from: gary2013 on February 13, 2014, 07:31:40 AM
Tony, thanx, but I did not see anything inside of Tencoder that has convert my H.264 files to ProRes?? I did want to say that this app wins the prize for having the most amount of xtra apps we don't want while trying to sneak them in on an installation. I think there were seven extra apps. After all the Declines I made, at the end it did nothing for thirty seconds and then it finally installed Tencoder. What's the world coming to? I like the old days of getting one app I want and it installs. :-) BTW, none of this is meant to be against you, Tony, just the people who make the app for download.

I am just looking for a simple batch convert app with a UI on a win 7 64 bit PC system to make my H.264 movie files to ProRes (all versions if possible of ProRes). I use PPro CC to edit and I see no ProRes ability to convert to.

Lol. I always use it man. It installs lots of stuff because originally it's a software from Linux. But it's the best I found that can convert a tree of folders... anyway, just have a little faith ;) It DOES convert H264 to Prores, the only thing I use it for...

Rush

Quote from: gary2013 on February 13, 2014, 07:34:16 AM
Thanx Rush. I am on windows 7 and that apps looks like Mac only.
There are legacy versions for Win too ;)
Greetings from Russia!

Frank7D

Hi Tony,

Trying 1.8.2.

Got an error "mlv2dng.exe has stopped working"
It had finished two mlvs and was starting a third when it crashed. No dngs were produced for the third file before the crash. The third file was the first spanned file of the bunch (.MLV, .M00). The first two files were not spanned.

Full text of error in case it helps:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   mlv2dng.exe
  Application Version:   0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:   521e7f97
  Fault Module Name:   mlv2dng.exe
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   521e7f97
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   0000aef0
  OS Version:   6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   fd00
  Additional Information 2:   ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
  Additional Information 3:   fd00
  Additional Information 4:   ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

I'll try running mlv2dng standalone in case that clarifies the issue.

Update: dropping the mlv on mlv2dng standalone worked fine. When my other files are done processing I'll try 1.8.2 on it again.

tonybeccar

Jeez... well maybe it'll be better to be back with mlv_dump... though to be honest I am looking forward to chmee's command line for Cinema DNGs.. the whole dng, proxie, ae, acr workflow is worthless!! We just have to wait a little bit and then I'll redesign the program to work with his... it really is an amazing workflow.

ouuzi

Quote from: tonybeccar on February 13, 2014, 08:02:10 PM
Jeez... well maybe it'll be better to be back with mlv_dump... though to be honest I am looking forward to chmee's command line for Cinema DNGs.. the whole dng, proxie, ae, acr workflow is worthless!! We just have to wait a little bit and then I'll redesign the program to work with his... it really is an amazing workflow.
What about us Mac users?Is it possible to port this to OSX?

Frank7D

OK, so all the rest of the mlvs processed to dng no problem.

I tried the problematic mlv in 1.8.2 again and got the same error message again.

As I said, when I use mlv2dng by itself it will process the mlv, just not when called by your app.

Malex

Quote from: tonybeccar on February 13, 2014, 08:02:10 PM
the whole dng, proxie, ae, acr workflow is worthless!!
I agree with you, especially if there is a way to access "source settings" in Premiere.
But if you take away the proxie stuff, then we could just use chmee's app? The only stuff that we would want from your app is the DNG compression.

I think that to make your app even better with the future new UI, you should add:
- drag n drop (like in Chmee's app)
- thumbnail view of all the footage in the window (like MLVBrowserSharp)
- abillity to play from the app (MLVViewSharp)
- abillity to do color ACR stuff before exporting the DNG or proxie (dreamy feature :) like in the Mac app Cliphouse http://pomfort.com/cliphouse/

I hope I don't sound too crazy... but like many of us, I hope we'll get there someday! Thanx to all the devs involved ^_^.

gary2013

Quote from: Frank7D on February 13, 2014, 07:39:57 PM
Hi Tony,

Trying 1.8.2.

Got an error "mlv2dng.exe has stopped working"

I also got this error.

gary2013

Quote from: tonybeccar on February 13, 2014, 06:55:20 PM
Lol. I always use it man. It installs lots of stuff because originally it's a software from Linux. But it's the best I found that can convert a tree of folders... anyway, just have a little faith ;) It DOES convert H264 to Prores, the only thing I use it for...
where and what exactly are the settings you use for the prores? I saw DNxHD options, but no ProRes were in that list.

gary2013

Quote from: Rush on February 13, 2014, 06:55:34 PM
There are legacy versions for Win too ;)
Duh, I now found it right at the top inside a drop down menu. Seems to work ok. I wish it had batch processing.

tonybeccar

Quote from: Malex on February 14, 2014, 08:50:13 AM
I agree with you, especially if there is a way to access "source settings" in Premiere.
But if you take away the proxie stuff, then we could just use chmee's app? The only stuff that we would want from your app is the DNG compression.

I think that to make your app even better with the future new UI, you should add:
- drag n drop (like in Chmee's app)
- thumbnail view of all the footage in the window (like MLVBrowserSharp)
- abillity to play from the app (MLVViewSharp)
- abillity to do color ACR stuff before exporting the DNG or proxie (dreamy feature :) like in the Mac app Cliphouse http://pomfort.com/cliphouse/

I hope I don't sound too crazy... but like many of us, I hope we'll get there someday! Thanx to all the devs involved ^_^.

I agree. As I said in a post to chmee, is that when he releases command line.. then i'll dedicate on making a nice friendly interface for his software.. for now I think what is valuable about my program is the interface, multi folder support, file naming, metadata view. All of this aspects I wish to polish more and expand.. mlv write support will be added also..

All of the features you listes I intend to do, and are posible within my knowledge (except the color one, hehe.. but you can use profiles of ACR which is basically the same thing..) And hey, you CAN open the clips in mlrawviewer, just click "Open", it's right there..

But of course is part of the reason why I paused the development, that and i am currently working all day.. and now going on a holiday.. I hope when I get back we have command line.. it'll be nice to split the effort also.. one for interface and the other for the magic ;)

5Djp

First,.. thanks for making this.  Its exactly what I was looking for.  But,.. now none of my .dng's open,.. even older .dng's on other projects.  I'm thinking it may be the Adobe DngConverter, and not your program.  I installed Adobe's DngConverter 8.3

5Djp

Hmm.. nevermind.  After opening and closing it a few times, it works!  (I already rebooted previously)
I think perhaps Adobe's dng converter needed to register itself somehow.