Deleted .R00 files, can they be recovered?

Started by ifleeter, January 25, 2014, 06:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ifleeter

During a shoot, before I knew what I was doing with RAW. I deleted the .R00 files thinking they weren't needed. I tried to use a similar .R00 file from another shot and merge it to the RAW file that has a missing .R00 file, but that didn't work. Doing that made the two different shots combine. If any developer could help me out that'd be great. The shots are very important and I'm willing to pay for services. There are no pink frames, the video just cuts out because it was a long take and the .R00 file is gone.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. There more than likely is no fix possible but crossing my fingers and hoping there is.

Walter Schulz

If you stopped working with the card after this you may use Recuva for recovery. Store saved files not to flash drive but to a temp directory on another drive.

Ciao
Walter

baldand

Quote from: ifleeter on January 25, 2014, 06:02:22 PM
During a shoot, before I knew what I was doing with RAW. I deleted the .R00 files thinking they weren't needed. I tried to use a similar .R00 file from another shot and merge it to the RAW file that has a missing .R00 file, but that didn't work. Doing that made the two different shots combine. If any developer could help me out that'd be great. The shots are very important and I'm willing to pay for services. There are no pink frames, the video just cuts out because it was a long take and the .R00 file is gone.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. There more than likely is no fix possible but crossing my fingers and hoping there is.

The .R00 files contain the later frames from the shot (and the footer data needed to decode both the .R00 and it's companion .RAW file). If you deleted them, then carried on using the disk until it was full, the frames in the R00 have been overwritten. If you deleted them and then did nothing else with the disk, you may be able to recover some of the content with a recovery tool as Walter suggested.

In case you get something out, but it is short, you may be able to use my rawcover.py python script to recover the frames from the RAW/R00 parts that you do have. For instance, it may be able to recover all the frames from a RAW file that is missing its R00.

https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/raw/e979451367780525c8d1df27c9678b6c2d65b952/tools/rawcover.py

Midphase

Quote from: ifleeter on January 25, 2014, 06:02:22 PM
During a shoot, before I knew what I was doing with RAW.

+

QuoteThe shots are very important

= Not very smart.  ::)

ifleeter

@Walter Schulz Unfortunately we continued to use that card, so we won't be able to use that method. Thanks for the help though!

@baldand What do you mean by "in case you get something out" Like if I were able to recover the files using Walter's technique? I'd appreciate it if you may further expand on the details. Thanks!

@Midphase I so kindly thank you for your help. I really got a lot from your comment. I mean, if anything it added to your post count! Congratulations you now have another meaningless worthless post.

Midphase

Quote from: iamanidiot on January 25, 2014, 08:42:23 PM
@Midphase I so kindly thank you for your help. I really got a lot from your comment.

@iamanidiot Glad I could help!

a1ex

Both of you deserve a warning for replies #4.3, #5 and #6.

@ifleeter: Midphase's advice was correct, you should not shoot important stuff until you don't know your tools well.

FYI: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#not_losing

ifleeter

Quote from: a1ex on January 26, 2014, 05:18:19 PM
Both of you deserve a warning for replies #4.3, #5 and #6.

@ifleeter: Midphase's advice was correct, you should not shoot important stuff until you don't know your tools well.

FYI: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#not_losing

I just took a risk. I don't see anything wrong with that. My risk resulted in an error and I was wondering if there was a fix. I don't see the need of someone telling me I shouldn't do something. I didn't blame magic lantern or anyone, I blamed myself. So please explain to me exactly what I did wrong by asking if there was a fix to my problem? And how I'm on the same level as Midphase here.

Thank you.

a1ex

I have not warned you for the original topic, but for an aggressive reply to a legitimate piece of advice, and for continued flaming. Also I highly doubt you have actually read the message you have quoted and the link from it.